Any way to collaborate with my friend (Live 8 to Live 9)?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SpeedKing

Any way to collaborate with my friend (Live 8 to Live 9)?

Post by SpeedKing » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:27 am

Hi guys, I was wondering something. I just uninstalled Live 8 (regular), as I upgraded to Live 9 Suite, and I'm wondering, is there a way to collaborate with a friend of mine who still has Live 8? I know while I've been in the Live 9 beta, there were a couple times I opened up Live 8 and tried to open something I did in the beta but was greeted with a message stating that the file was last saved in an earlier version of Live, and that I couldn't open it in Live 8.

So...it just occurred to me, if I'm working on Live 9, is there any way to keep collaboration with my friend who has Live 8? Like, any way at all? If not, then that sucks a bit fat one.

cotdagoo

Re: Any way to collaborate with my friend (Live 8 to Live 9)?

Post by cotdagoo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:01 pm

You could render out stems for tracks and send .wav files that should easily drop into an existing arrangement.

It won't give your friend the ability to edit synth patches, and anything else that's a VST - but you could always export the MIDI for that if your friend has the same plugins and get the patch file, etc.. it's quite a bit more effort though than working Live 8 to Live 8 or Live 9 to Live 9.

It would be nice to have an option in Live to export project to legacy versions, but it's highly unlikely :)

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:54 pm

cotdagoo wrote:You could render out stems for tracks and send .wav files that should easily drop into an existing arrangement.

It won't give your friend the ability to edit synth patches, and anything else that's a VST - but you could always export the MIDI for that if your friend has the same plugins and get the patch file, etc.. it's quite a bit more effort though than working Live 8 to Live 8 or Live 9 to Live 9.

It would be nice to have an option in Live to export project to legacy versions, but it's highly unlikely :)
Ahh, good ideas. I didn't even think of those. I was thinking in the box of "Ableton file", but you're right .wav and MIDI exporting is definitely a way. Man, that sucks though, you're right, that's a lot more work. So basically the only way to do this is to export the tracks one by one and basically he would need to rebuild the project in Live 8? Ugh, and more often than not, things are done in Session View up front...so exporting all of the clips one by one is how that would have to be done.

Ugh.... That really sucks. I understand the cold, hard business rationale behind the lack of ability to open files in earlier versions, but that really destroys creativity and collaboration. I could understand restricting the ability to open things in Live 8 that are different in any way in Live 9, but yeah, not being able to open the project at all (even just a session grid with MIDI clips but no sounds) is not cool, not cool.

Just out of curiosity, is this the same with other DAWs and version?

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:06 pm

It's the same with pretty much all software.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:03 pm

Why not just use the Ableton "Share" feature introduced 4 years ago?

Oh, right. :| :| :| :| :| :mrgreen:
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:20 pm

mholloway wrote:Why not just use the Ableton "Share" feature introduced 4 years ago?

Oh, right. :| :| :| :| :| :mrgreen:
:lol: i knew that was coming when i clicked on the link to this thread. i was basically looking for it...

is it safe to take off the goggles and helmet yet?
nah... better navigate away from this page first :arrow:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:22 pm

cotdagoo wrote:It would be nice to have an option in Live to export project to legacy versions, but it's highly unlikely :)
i'm sure they'll add that at the same time as .mp3 export

*ducks*

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:00 pm

Szuumm wrote:It's the same with pretty much all software.
Not software where collaboration between multiple parties is expected. Though as I said, maybe that's the case with DAW software, but I was just wondering.

But seriously, my friend and I being able to collaborate via email was one of THE reasons he ended up getting Live 8 (after I already had it). I guess I just assumed it would be something that would be encouraged between owners of a DAW.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:07 pm

^ its all about stems.

start at 1.1.1

set the loop bracket on the whole set

export tracks

it's plug and play after that.

tone61

Post by tone61 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:14 am

Do you think this could work (no idea)?

http://screenhero.com/

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:38 pm

tone61 wrote:Do you think this could work (no idea)?

you would collab on the same [host] computer... so you would have to choose whose computer that would be first. after the collab you'd have to email/ftp the .als so that the other person could have a copy of the changes... but other than that... yeah.
not sure i'd trust this startup company to get all up in my computer, but if trust is not an issue for you (a la facebook addons, Evernote, instagram, etc, etc, etc) then i think it would work.

tone61

Post by tone61 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:03 pm

I wonder if Ableton has some collaboration plans for Live?
Share was removed from Live8, so maybe its replacement to Live10?

Ohm Force have their Ohm-Studio now and Bitwig plans to have collaboration part of their DAW version 2.0.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:43 pm

tone61 wrote:Do you think this could work (no idea)?

wow.. that's neat..

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:51 pm

tone61 wrote:I wonder if Ableton has some collaboration plans for Live?
Share was removed from Live8, so maybe its replacement to Live10?

Ohm Force have their Ohm-Studio now and Bitwig plans to have collaboration part of their DAW version 2.0.
Bitwig is also planning to be the first DAW on the moon. big plans over there.

hard to say what Live is going to have next, but the reality is that any of this share stuff is only as successful as your internet connection will allow.

that's why only parameter changes could work IMO. if you think sound card latency is bad, try connecting to a specific computer in a specific location (that isn't in the same building/block/town/county/etc and performing and then witnessing every action in real time all the time. that's why web servers only help create the illusion of speed - caching. that content is static. sure, you can have a fast download speed with your ISP, but connecting is the problem as is responsiveness, but all wrapped up a never ending constant juggle. the command to download something is basically a single keystroke/command "OK" then the transfer begins (watch the speeds bounce up and down). it will take more than that to type this sentence and display it in real time across routers and central offices and such as i type on my keyboard and it appears on your monitor - if it is expected to happen in real time... and when it doesn't work, people point the finger at who?

if i were Ableton i wouldn't say a word about share either. sounds like a logistical nightmare if you ask me. i use remote desktop connections at work all day... on dedicated T1 lines. i can assure you, latency can be a challenge. factor in musicians... sounds like a suicide recipe.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:00 pm

"share" wasn't supposed to be realtime afaik...
Bitwig is looking to be a great DAW if everything goes as planned...
I like the way they're thinking and so am interested how they are going to implement this feature..