ASIO soundcard in a USB stick

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
nc2010
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:34 am

ASIO soundcard in a USB stick

Post by nc2010 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:37 pm

Does it exist ?

I'm looking for a tiny souncard (USB stick) that would work in ASIO + multi client (ie Live + another software can play sound on the soundcard at the same time).

Does it exist ? :)

H20nly
Posts: 15836
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: ASIO soundcard in a USB stick

Post by H20nly » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:28 am

those types of sound cards are typically built into the motherboard these days.

nc2010
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:34 am

Re: ASIO soundcard in a USB stick

Post by nc2010 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:42 pm

The built in soundcard of my laptop works in Asio with asio4all, but then it s not multi client :
if I use live, i cannot do alt+tab and use soundforge for exemple.

This is very annoying, that s why i m looking for a USB soundcard (not an interface like tascam Us122, it s too big... I would like Just a USB stick soundcard).

xmonsta
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:44 pm

Re: ASIO soundcard in a USB stick

Post by xmonsta » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:59 pm

any good? http://www.meritline.com/usb-sound-adap ... 60824.aspx, or you could look at the raspberry pi and create your own one, solder it to a usb connection innit.
http://www.xmonsta.com Music devices and controllers for Ableton Live

Image

nc2010
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:34 am

Re: ASIO soundcard in a USB stick

Post by nc2010 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:31 pm

waw! 3.99$ ! do you think this USB soundcard will work in ASIO + multiclient ? :)

102455
Posts: 1631
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:41 pm
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: ASIO soundcard in a USB stick

Post by 102455 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:18 pm

nc2010 wrote:The built in soundcard of my laptop works in Asio with asio4all
No it doesn't. ASIO4ALL is NOT an ASIO driver. It also has no magic powers - it can't turn a normal soundcard into an ASIO one.

All it does is piggyback your WDM driver.

In days of olde, some pro software would only output audio through an ASIO interface. ASIO4ALL allowed cheapskates to emulate an ASIO interface, so fooling the software into sending audio through a non ASIO output.

Software with such restrictions is rare now, but unfortunately some people just can't seem to grasp that ASIO4ALL isn't necessary.

vaikl
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:16 pm

Re: ASIO soundcard in a USB stick

Post by vaikl » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:42 pm

102455 wrote: but unfortunately some people just can't seem to grasp that ASIO4ALL isn't necessary.
Yeah, too silly that most A4ALL users think this will boost up their audio system far beyond their manufacturers driver specs. I think just 1% of them has even read the ASIO4ALL description from it's inventor, Michael Tippach.

nc2010
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:34 am

Re: ASIO soundcard in a USB stick

Post by nc2010 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:24 am

102455 wrote:
nc2010 wrote:The built in soundcard of my laptop works in Asio with asio4all
No it doesn't. ASIO4ALL is NOT an ASIO driver. It also has no magic powers - it can't turn a normal soundcard into an ASIO one.

All it does is piggyback your WDM driver.

In days of olde, some pro software would only output audio through an ASIO interface. ASIO4ALL allowed cheapskates to emulate an ASIO interface, so fooling the software into sending audio through a non ASIO output.

Software with such restrictions is rare now, but unfortunately some people just can't seem to grasp that ASIO4ALL isn't necessary.
:)

Thanks, but the goal of this topic was not to discuss what is ASIO and what is emulation of ASIO (I know, I know, I know, that ASIO4ALL is NOT an ASIO driver, etc.)
The topic is :
1/ I'm looking for low latency on my laptop
2/ It works with my internal built-in soundcard (with ASIO4ALL) but then it is NOT multiclient anymore (ie if Live is running, I cannot run any MP3 player or Soundforge for example)
3/ I want to find a solution :)
4/ I already have a REAL studio soundcard (MOTU 828 MK2 firewire) and even a more portable one (Tascam US122) but I just want to know if there exists a VERY SMALL solution, like a USB stick soundcard, with low latency + multiclient.


Cheers!

H20nly
Posts: 15836
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: ASIO soundcard in a USB stick

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:29 pm

no.

think about it - a USB stick with a fader on it. :roll:

it would have no features. who would the market be? 46 users who want no inputs? onboard sound already provides all that this USB stick would, with the added benefit of not using up a USB port.

vaikl
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:16 pm

Re: ASIO soundcard in a USB stick

Post by vaikl » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:06 pm

nc2010 wrote: 2/ It works with my internal built-in soundcard (with ASIO4ALL) but then it is NOT multiclient anymore (ie if Live is running, I cannot run any MP3 player or Soundforge for example)
You may read http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=48 really carefully and decide on your own if you wanna try it.

But one thing still sticks: There's no low latency without a pro audio interface like your MOTU or others.

102455
Posts: 1631
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:41 pm
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: ASIO soundcard in a USB stick

Post by 102455 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:32 pm

nc2010I wrote:I just want to know if there exists a VERY SMALL solution
What type of laptop is it?

A company called Echo Audio used to make PCMCIA & CardBus/ExpressCard ASIO interfaces (the Indigo series).

Once they're inserted, very little of the card sticks out.

Thomann (in Germany) still have the ExpressCard versions in stock.

misa
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: ASIO soundcard in a USB stick

Post by misa » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:09 pm

What features are you looking for in a soundcard (# of inputs/outputs, headphone amp, volume control)? There are many DAC's available in the hi-fi market that have a small form factor. From your brief USB-stick description, I would say the Audioquest Dragonfly. But that $3.99 stick looks pretty interesting, and I'm not sure how either is much better than using your built-in audio with its default driver.

ian_halsall
Posts: 1711
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 8:52 am
Location: South London
Contact:

Re: ASIO soundcard in a USB stick

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:12 pm

pcmcia - echo indigo???

nc2010
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:34 am

Re: ASIO soundcard in a USB stick

Post by nc2010 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:30 pm

vaikl wrote:
nc2010 wrote: 2/ It works with my internal built-in soundcard (with ASIO4ALL) but then it is NOT multiclient anymore (ie if Live is running, I cannot run any MP3 player or Soundforge for example)
You may read http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=48 really carefully and decide on your own if you wanna try it.
I have already tried this multiclient driver. But it doesn't work with ASIO4ALL (this is normal: ASIO4ALL is NOT a real ASIO thing, it is just an emulation).

I have tried all these software solutions:
* ASIO4ALL
* this Steinberg multiclient software (often called "Vidance")
* JACK
* Virtual Audio Cabble (causes jitters/crackles)

None of these allowed me to have:
low latency for built-in soundcard + being able to play sound with 2 softwares at the same time (multiclient).
There's no low latency without a pro audio interface like your MOTU or others.
Probably true... I have noticed the same thing since all the audio interfaces I have tested (Firewire or USB, M-Audio, MOTU, Tascam, etc.)






--------------

pcmcia - echo indigo???
I have a Lenovo T520 : no PCMCIA anymore !

twisted-space
Posts: 1250
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: UK Midlands

Re: ASIO soundcard in a USB stick

Post by twisted-space » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:08 pm

nc2010 wrote:
pcmcia - echo indigo???
I have a Lenovo T520 : no PCMCIA anymore !
102455 wrote:Thomann (in Germany) still have the ExpressCard versions in stock.

Post Reply