whoa FLYLO!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eddiex

whoa FLYLO!!!

Post by eddiex » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:11 am

"i love ableton so much i just wish the sound engine was better. always spend so much time trying to make it not sound like shit."
-FLYING LOTUS on facebook/twitter tonight-
Last edited by eddiex on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

eddiex

Re: whoa FLYLO

Post by eddiex » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:18 am

discuss

aioffermann

Re: whoa FLYLO!!!

Post by aioffermann » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:26 am

eddiex wrote:discuss
start off the discussion! :lol:

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:39 am

i was just kind of surprised, he voiced his opinion on such a public forum. he is a high profile ableton user... it might be a blow.

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:49 am

Might be. But at the same time the fact that he said he loves it probably outweighs the fact that he said he didn't like the sound. If someone's opinion is going to change because some famous dude said something, it's going to be about what they DO, not what they don't do, don't you think?

Then again all those newcomers who hate what they make might see this as an excuse/incentive to quit Ableton and move on to Logic or something. "Oh, THAT'S why my beats suck... Even Flylo's beats on Ableton suck!"

Not that his beats suck. They're ill. But I know I would lie to myself like that when I was starting out.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:15 am

aioffermann wrote:Might be. But at the same time the fact that he said he loves it probably outweighs the fact that he said he didn't like the sound. If someone's opinion is going to change because some famous dude said something, it's going to be about what they DO, not what they don't do, don't you think?

Then again all those newcomers who hate what they make might see this as an excuse/incentive to quit Ableton and move on to Logic or something. "Oh, THAT'S why my beats suck... Even Flylo's beats on Ableton suck!"

Not that his beats suck. They're ill. But I know I would lie to myself like that when I was starting out.
i just thought it was interesting, that's all. there are definitely some people out there, who are influenced by FLYING LOTUS, as far as DAW/GEAR is concerned. some people will probably swear off ABES because of this. i just think it's surprising, because he probably knows it. also i wouldn't have gone as far as to say it sounds like shit. (not that i am as qualified as FLYLO) i just thought, that was a little harsh.

what's funny about the whole thing, there are people on the facebook thread, offering their services, giving FLYING LOTUS advice on how to make it sound good. :lol: i'm dyin' over there :lol:

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:08 am

eddiex wrote:what's funny about the whole thing, there are people on the facebook thread, offering their services, giving FLYING LOTUS advice on how to make it sound good. :lol: i'm dyin' over there :lol:

Ha! :lol: :lol:

schullermusik

Post by schullermusik » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:08 am

I used to hear the same crap 12 years ago about Fruity Loops/FL Studio - until I took samples out of Reason, loaded them up in FL, then rendered the same beat in both and... They sounded exactly alike. You couldn't even see the difference in the waveforms of the rendered audio.

The moral of this story is that lots of people have lots of opinions.

evangelink

Post by evangelink » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:30 am

Presumably FlyLo uses the warp modes fairly heavily, and given the degradation in sound quality you get with those, that might be what he's getting at.

schullermusik

Post by schullermusik » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:34 am

Warp is lightyears ahead of what it was back in the Sonic Foundry Acid 1.0 days, but sure, it only does so much. It's one feature of Live I rarely, if ever use.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:38 am

What does he know about sound ?
If it sounds not as good as he wishes, he just has to drop 10 more compressors. :D
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:12 am

he says its not "expressive" , hoping it would be fixed with live 9, and will continue to use reason+ableton.

Goddard

Post by Goddard » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:34 am

Since the new browser isssues in Live 9 I don't care how it sounds anymore...
I guess FlyLo got inspired by the spirit of 3phase...
And Live 9 hasn't been 3phase approved yet, then any discussion about Live's sound quality is pointless...
Or what?
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

Whirly

Post by Whirly » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:43 am

Expressive sound engine? Never heard of such a thing. He must be talking about rendering dynamic ranges. I'm not sure he has the full overview of these things. I've never had any problem to make dynamic music in Live.
https://soundcloud.com/vbre/a-sense-of- ... t-panumoon
MacPro 8 core l 4 GB ram l OSX 10.7.5
Ableton Live Suite 9
Steinberg MR816x
Yamaha S90 l Novation 25SL

shlomo

Post by shlomo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:23 pm

"i love ableton so much i just wish the sound engine was better"

he should be more aware of the right type of oil that this engine needs......