Sound Design

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dan3JAY

Sound Design

Post by Dan3JAY » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:31 am

To guys

I'm looking for some hinters on how to get good at sound design. Regarding processing with live I'm fine, it's using synths. I'm using massive and FM8, I know them inside out but Im hearing sounds I want to patch up but the majority of the time I can't get the sound I want.

Iv watched interviews with some well known names and they say they can patch up any sound they want.

Im writing tracks and editing presets as I go along writing tracks, would it be advisable to just sit down and just spend a weekend just creating different sounds?

Any help would be muchly appreciated =)

yur2die4

Re: Sound Design

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:00 pm

I think that one common technique for learning how to make a more broad range of sounds is to look for interesting presets, and then figure out why they sound like they do. Also seeing if you're able to tweak the preset back to the initial basic tone.

Dan3JAY

Post by Dan3JAY » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:01 pm

Nice one ill give it a try. Thanks =)

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:38 pm

would it be advisable to just sit down and just spend a weekend just creating different sounds?
Or, maybe a little bit more than just a week-end.
:wink:

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:59 pm

Learn melody and harmony and then apply the principles to garbage can lids, freight trains and sparrows......

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:00 pm

Valiumdupeuple wrote:
would it be advisable to just sit down and just spend a weekend just creating different sounds?
Or, maybe a little bit more than just a week-end.
:wink:
mostly this!

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:32 pm

I agree with the advice from the above. After you know the ins and outs of whichever synthesizers you're trying to learn, the best way to improve "getting sounds in your head" is to look at presets that you like and see how they were patched. A great exercise that I'm doing right now is to find a patch that I like then open up a blank new patch and try to get as close to it as I can. If I ever get stuck with an operator for example, I'll look at the original preset and copy it and learn how they got the specific sound.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:02 pm

There was recently a class on Coursera for Digital Sound Design. It's over now but it looks like you can still visit the archive. It might be a good place to start for some foundational knowledge, I found the stuff in week 3 to be especially informative:

https://www.coursera.org/course/digitalsounddesign

Dan3JAY

Post by Dan3JAY » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:39 pm

Quality thanks for all the advise and help =D