selecting multiple devices, not next to each other

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djcyph

selecting multiple devices, not next to each other

Post by djcyph » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:18 am

im going crazy here....if i have one device selected then shift click another one, it selects everything in between. ive tried every other modifier key to try to select just certain devices. is this not possible? i could of sworn ive done this a million times before. just like you can with selecting certain tracks

infernal.machine

Re: selecting multiple devices, not next to each other

Post by infernal.machine » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:57 am

Try Ctrl-click (pc) or Cmd-click (mac) :wink:

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:29 pm

infernal.machine wrote:Try Ctrl-click (pc) or Cmd-click (mac) :wink:
i did...ill try again when home...maybe it was just weird bug and i have to restart?

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:17 am

anyone?

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:43 am

Holy shit you're right.

Just tested this in Live 8 too, and you can only select multiple devices if they're next to each other.

Now I'm going crazy too!

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:03 pm

infernal.machine wrote:Holy shit you're right.

Just tested this in Live 8 too, and you can only select multiple devices if they're next to each other.

Now I'm going crazy too!

seems like such a simple thing to help workflow when grouping to create racks.....another thing that is bugging me is not being able to scroll horizontally in the browser

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:46 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:It's not changed in Live 9, it was like this for selecting devices in Live 8. The cmd thing works for tracks, and clips in session, though

Whay do you mean by scrolling horizontally in the Browser cyph? To show long file names you mean?
yea man....i know you can expand the browser window but i dont want the browser take up more screen real estate so rather have horizontal scroll bars

silversurfer60

Post by silversurfer60 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:38 pm

djcyph wrote:im going crazy here....if i have one device selected then shift click another one, it selects everything in between. ive tried every other modifier key to try to select just certain devices. is this not possible? i could of sworn ive done this a million times before. just like you can with selecting certain tracks
Here it works as in live 8, it's the shift click, not the ctrl click.

silversurfer60

Post by silversurfer60 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:44 pm

Yes, of course. I have first an operator, then 5 fx's: flanger, phaser, compressor, chorus and at last the EQ8, now I klick with hold shift the first device operator and then the last device EQ8, all devices in between are selected and I can choose with my context menue: group and my new rack is ready. I don't know, what the shift key is on Mac, but it has to work for you also. Maybe it's a bug only on Mac.

I did it thousand times in live 8 and now in live 9, no problems.

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:33 pm

silversurfer60 wrote:Yes, of course. I have first an operator, then 5 fx's: flanger, phaser, compressor, chorus and at last the EQ8, now I klick with hold shift the first device operator and then the last device EQ8, all devices in between are selected and I can choose with my context menue: group and my new rack is ready. I don't know, what the shift key is on Mac, but it has to work for you also. Maybe it's a bug only on Mac.

ur misunderstanding the problem...i dont want it to select everything in between. in your example i would want to select operator and eq8 and nothing else

deva

Post by deva » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:56 pm

djcyph wrote:
silversurfer60 wrote:Yes, of course. I have first an operator, then 5 fx's: flanger, phaser, compressor, chorus and at last the EQ8, now I klick with hold shift the first device operator and then the last device EQ8, all devices in between are selected and I can choose with my context menue: group and my new rack is ready. I don't know, what the shift key is on Mac, but it has to work for you also. Maybe it's a bug only on Mac.

ur misunderstanding the problem...i dont want it to select everything in between. in your example i would want to select operator and eq8 and nothing else
For what purpose do you want to select those two?

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:24 pm

deva wrote:
djcyph wrote:

For what purpose do you want to select those two?
what Funk said and also, to A/B certain devices in a chain at same time that are not next to each other for specific reasons

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:
djcyph wrote:also, to A/B certain devices in a chain at same time that are not next to each other for specific reasons
Hey, I thought of a way to do that. Maybe you already thought of this, might as well mention it anyway. Keymap the on/off switches of the different devices to the same key. Works nicely.
yea, thats my workaround but not always plausible. thanks though!