Is it just me? (regarding the Live 9 Grand Piano Pack)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
turnstylenyc

Is it just me? (regarding the Live 9 Grand Piano Pack)

Post by turnstylenyc » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:06 pm

If you've installed the Grand Piano Pack, if you choose the "Mellow" piano (either "Equal" or "Stretch") -- do you hear a really wrong loud resonant sound when you hit the C two octaves below middle C? (it also seems to be present in the "Bright" piano, though to much less a degree.)

I don't feel like I'm being nit-picky, curious to know of other folks are getting that too...

ObtuseMoose

Re: Is it just me? (regarding the Live 9 Grand Piano Pack)

Post by ObtuseMoose » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:09 am

FWIW, it's not just you. I hear it, too. Actually, several of the low notes in just about all the Grand Piano sounds have some odd overtones. Some of them are audible in the raw samples, so I have to assume they're characteristic of the particular instrument the samples were recorded from. In other cases, they seem like they may be processing artifacts.

That said, I have to admit that I've never really listened critically to individual low notes of a real piano before, so I don't know if these sounds are normal or not.

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

turnstylenyc

Post by turnstylenyc » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:32 am

Thanks for giving it a listen!

Just to be sure, for the C two octaves below middle C -- it's not just an 'overtone' that you have to listen critically to pick out -- it's a glaring and odd sound, right? (at least for the "mellow" piano)

I do hear other odd overtones on other notes -- but that C is just really obviously wrong, right?

PS: to uninstall a Pack in Live 9, are we now supposed to right-click it in the Live 9 Browser and then select Delete? (I ask because I think in Live 8 we were supposed to uninstall via the Library section in Preferences.)

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:59 am

turnstylenyc wrote:Thanks for giving it a listen!

Just to be sure, for the C two octaves below middle C -- it's not just an 'overtone' that you have to listen critically to pick out -- it's a glaring and odd sound, right? (at least for the "mellow" piano)
Yeah, it's not a subtle thing, it jumps out pretty plain, a tone at about 860 Hz. The way it fades in slightly after the key is hit and fades out before the note decays makes me think it's something in the actual piano. The G below that note has an annoying ring as well that again fades in and out several times.

Can't answer the question about deleting a pack. Right-click & Delete is probably what I'd try.

--
Moose

JHughson

Post by JHughson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:29 pm

I just randomly found this myself and searched the forum to see if I was hearing it or had a macro configured incorrectly. So I appreciate the note so I know it's not me. I had reloaded the instrument and even tried a couple of other selections in the same pack and it moves around from note to note a little bit, but seems pretty consistent. Almost sounds like a flute added on.

One other thought, but really I think it's unrelated. I just upgraded to 9.0.2. Has anyone had this issue in 8 or in 9.0.1? (I really doubt it's related to Live's version but thought I'd add that in especially since the thread came up after 9.0.2 shipped.)

JR

gjm

Post by gjm » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:08 pm

Its there in 8 and 9.0.1.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

JHughson

Post by JHughson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:48 pm

Thanks for checking.

JHughson

Post by JHughson » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:10 am

OK well I went and checked on my upright Boston. Just to be clear I'm not much of a piano player so I'd never noticed before and also this piano hasn't been tuned in a while and I'm sure it's due. I can actually hear the same kind of sympathetic high vibration coming out around the D and C right in that octave. It's not as pronounced as in the grand piano sound, but it's there. I've never noticed it before. Not sure how helpful that data point is but thought I'd throw it out there.

JR

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:58 am

JHughson wrote:OK well I went and checked on my upright Boston. ... I can actually hear the same kind of sympathetic high vibration coming out around the D and C right in that octave....
That's really interesting. Thanks for doing the experiment and posting the results.

--
Moose

turnstylenyc

Post by turnstylenyc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:37 am

It's certainly interesting that you got a similar result on your upright, but (imho) this sound just can't possibly be right/normal for a proper piano.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:04 am

On a real piano there should only be sympathetic vibration when the sustain pedal is down. Pressing the sustain pedal lifts the dampers off all the strings, which means strings related to the currently played note will resonate..

If you have a piano which exhibits sympathetic resonance without touching the pedal, it probably needs a service.

In general : Basic piano notes shouldn't be sampled with the sustain pedal pressed, because you'll get resonant sympathetic note vibrations messing up your samples.