Adding FX to Master/Cue preview channel

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MIAR

Adding FX to Master/Cue preview channel

Post by MIAR » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi guys,

Trying to do this at the moment. I can add the FX to the Master channel by drag/drop but I also want to cue/preview output running through same effect. I can't seem to figure this out.

Is it possible and if so, much appreciate your advice.

Thanks,
Ste

S4racen

Re: Adding FX to Master/Cue preview channel

Post by S4racen » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:37 pm

You'll need to create a new cue output, maybe use one of your return tracks and have this outputting to the headphones, you can then map your cue on off buttons to the sends on each track...

Cheers
D

MIAR

Post by MIAR » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Cheers S4racen! Good to know its possible.

I'll have to figure out the output thing now. Newbie to Ableton.

Thanks mate

MIAR

Post by MIAR » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:22 pm

Actually after reading some other posts. Do i need more physical outputs to do this? Like 3/4?

I only have 1/2 (EMU 0404) soundcard.

I dont understand why if the Cue mix seems to be locked into the Master out and I put FX on the Master out, that the cue mix isn't affected. Where is its output going if not on the Master?

I don't need to monitor the cue mix seperately. Just need its output going to FX

anamexis

Post by anamexis » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:17 pm

MIAR wrote:Actually after reading some other posts. Do i need more physical outputs to do this? Like 3/4?

I only have 1/2 (EMU 0404) soundcard.

I dont understand why if the Cue mix seems to be locked into the Master out and I put FX on the Master out, that the cue mix isn't affected. Where is its output going if not on the Master?

I don't need to monitor the cue mix seperately. Just need its output going to FX
The built-in cue mix is kind of a pseudo channel separate from the master. You can't put any effects on it or do anything much with it at all. It's also where Live will always play previews and solo'd tracks in cue mode.

Even with only one stereo out, you can still do what S4racen says. Just set up a return track, set the audio out as desired, add effects, and then route tracks to it with sends as you would solos.

MIAR

Post by MIAR » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:01 pm

tnx anamexis

Though what i want is to preview samples with fx such as reverb on the cue mix. This would determine whether i import to project or not. Is this not possible in ableton??

alexfsu

Post by alexfsu » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:57 pm

MIAR wrote:tnx anamexis

Though what i want is to preview samples with fx such as reverb on the cue mix. This would determine whether i import to project or not. Is this not possible in ableton??
I'm interested in this too, but I'm getting an echo/tap delay effect with the method described, could someone please be more specific?