Is it possible to DJ with Live and Apogee Duet 2?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Alibra

Is it possible to DJ with Live and Apogee Duet 2?

Post by Alibra » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:29 pm

Hey All,

I have an Apogee Duet 2, and I've been trying to cue audio through my headphones while still having the (non cued) music playing on my main speakers (in this case, my laptop speakers). I've been getting less than desirable results with this setup. I managed to come across another post with someone trying to do the same thing and it wasn't possible with Live and the Apogee duet but that was back in 2010 and I'm assuming 3 years later it's possible now. The Duet 2 is a 2in x 4out interface so it would make sense that this would work so i'm under the impression it's something I'm doing wrong.

A few searches that I came across mention that in the Cue out, you would select something like 1/2 for your master out, and then 3/4 for your Cue out but i don't get that option (i don't get any options other than 1, 2, and 1/2 for Cue and Master out). I changed my preferences and this is happening even when i change my Audio Output Device to the Duet as well. Is there anyone can has experience with this that could possibly shed some light?? Much much appreciated.

2010 Reference of this issue i found.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135803
Calvinalibra
APC40 + Push + Apogee Duet 2
Ableton + Maschine
To Self: Learn the equipment you have before you spend a bunch of money on new stuff. New equipment doesn't make you better <-- not working out for me.

Re: Is it possible to DJ with Live and Apogee Duet 2?

Post by 102455 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:41 pm

From the Apogee website (and presumably mentioned in the product manual too):
4 analog outputs -
Separate headphone and speaker outs

By very popular demand Duet 2 includes 4 analog outputs. Stereo headphones or left & right mono speaker outs can be assigned in pairs to output 1-2 or 3-4 or the low latency mixer and each can be placed in stereo, mono, muted or dimmed modes.

It is now possible for a DJ to monitor a separate mix in headphones while sending a house mix to the club, a live performer to send a click track to in-ear monitors while sending a backing track to front-of-house, and a recording engineer to send a headphone mix to the performer while dedicating the main outputs to studio monitors.

Alibra

Post by Alibra » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:02 pm

I SWEAR I was on that website, I don't know how I missed that. My ADD must have kicked in before I got to the info I needed. I'm so embarrassed. Thanks for the slap.
Calvinalibra
Ableton + Maschine
To Self: Learn the equipment you have before you spend a bunch of money on new stuff. New equipment doesn't make you better <-- not working out for me.

Post by 102455 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:42 pm

You should check your audio output config in Live to make sure that all your outputs are turned on.

Alibra

Post by Alibra » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:47 pm

102455 wrote:You should check your audio output config in Live to make sure that all your outputs are turned on.
Cool, thanks for that info. The issue is actually in my Apogee (Maestro) software. I need to set my headphone out to 3/4 that's why it's not showing up in Ableton. This whole time I was bashing brains in Ableton trying to figure out why I couldn't see it. Thanks again for the help.
Calvinalibra
Ableton + Maschine

Alibra

Post by Alibra » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:22 am

I'm working this out. I'm able to get my 3/4 channels through my headphones on my Duet2 and the cue buttons are working fine. Now I'm trying to get my other (1/2) outputs set to so that i can hear my main audio through my laptop speakers. I'm thinking since 1/2 and 3/4 relate directly to the Duet2, I'll have to figure out a way to use built in audio for the Master outs which I can't seem to figure out. Any ideas?
Calvinalibra
Ableton + Maschine

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:22 am

Create an Aggregate device in Audio/MIDI Set-Up.

Alibra

Post by Alibra » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:01 pm

Szuumm wrote:Create an Aggregate device in Audio/MIDI Set-Up.
Got it, thanks for that. I get a ton of latency using it this way, but I haven't messed around with it enough to truly figure out why this is happening so I'll keep digging into that and post what i come up with.

Thanks a lot for the help everyone!
Calvinalibra
Ableton + Maschine