L9 Overdub's workflow is a show killer for several users

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
artpunk

Re: L9 Overdub's workflow is a show killer for several users

Post by artpunk » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:18 am

chapelier fou wrote:viewtopic.php?f=1&t=180996
Ah! Thanks chapelier fou, nice to see yet another familiar name from the monome community too!

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:34 am

Ableton HQ. Is it Christmas or something? You're really hammering away like little elves, pleasing all the users with useful modifications!

I am grateful for this product and very happy to own it. Thank you!
(the community rocks too)

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:22 pm

Amaury wrote:Hi,

Please check 9.0.3b2, we've added a preference, which you can also switch it he record button context menu: it reverts the shift click and regular click behavior of both record buttons at once.

Kind regards,
Amaury

thanks Ableton! I'm very happy with the fast and good solution in this case.

mhadley89

Post by mhadley89 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:06 am

is there a way to have it permanently enabled though?
every time i stop transport, the session record button disables.

the reverse of the shift-click functionality is great, but unless i'm missing something, it's still not at the level of ease midi overdubbing was in L8 (overdub mode is on or off, and it stays that way regardless of transport and functions intuitively)

am i missing something?

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:20 am

mhadley89 wrote:is there a way to have it permanently enabled though?
every time i stop transport, the session record button disables.

the reverse of the shift-click functionality is great, but unless i'm missing something, it's still not at the level of ease midi overdubbing was in L8 (overdub mode is on or off, and it stays that way regardless of transport and functions intuitively)

am i missing something?
+1...
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:44 am

+1

madlab

Post by madlab » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:09 am

+ 1
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

thisissami

Post by thisissami » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:32 pm

Hello,

I perform a live looped show in Ableton Live where I need to be able to turn Midi overdubbing on and off. I have 9.0.4, and I cannot do this.

My problems are:

1) When I hit the "MIDI Overdub" button on my APC20 - half the time nothing happens. I need to actually go into live and click on the little Session Record icon. This is impossible to do when playing a performance.

2) When I do the above, audio tracks that are recording stop recording and stop looping. This is a SHOW KILLER. I cannot perform a show when tracks that are supposed to be recording all of a sudden stop.

Much like the sentiments of everybody on this thread - why did you guys remove the ability to toggle Midi Overdub? This is such a basic and integral feature - why remove it? It is also INCREDIBLY simple. One toggle to switch on one parameter within live. I'm a programmer - I know it isn't difficult to switch one boolean value from false to true and back again. Please bring it back as an option.

Sami

thisissami

Post by thisissami » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:38 pm

On further exploration, it seems like the Midi Overdub (button from my APC20 again) works just fine and toggles the new "Session Record" button if I DO NOT have any audio tracks recording. As soon as I have an audio track that's recording, pressing the "Midi Overdub" button (APC20) does nothing. Clicking the Session Record button in Live 9 stops my audio recording and enables Midi Overdub.

This is clearly a bug. Enabling Midi Overdub should not stop other non-Midi tracks from doing what they are doing. Can somebody from Ableton please respond and address the concerns listed here? I paid a lot of money to buy the full Live 9 suite because I assumed that the Midi Overdub features of Live 8 intro would be the same here. Nowhere in your marketing material did you guys say "We removed the basic and straightforward Midi Overdub features". If you guys had shared that, I would not have purchased the suite.

Best,
Sami

thisissami

Post by thisissami » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:58 am

Hi all,

I just wanted to apologize if I came off as a jerk above. I'm just really upset because I lost 2 recordings of live looped sets that I was really proud of. I do a fully improvised show in Live where I play melodies and harmonies with Midi controllers in real time. Previously I'd used sampled drum loops (that I sample in real time as well), and this week I just added live beats for the first time (using a padKontrol with Battery 3 as an audio unit). I enabled Midi Overdub in order to slowly layer drums . By enabling the overdub 5 minutes into my set (which was 30-40 mins), I unwittingly stopped the audio track that was resampling the master output. This was also out of view on my APC20 (10th track) so I had no idea that this happened. For anybody curious, these are the first 5 minutes that I did record though - tis all ambient/experimental: https://soundcloud.com/thisissami/the-m ... rty-tidbit. You can hear me start to play around with sounds in Battery a little before the 4 minute mark.

This happened again the next day (I assumed I had done something wrong the first day). After I'd lost the second set, I figured that it was the overdub and not me that caused the problems. That's when I started looking around online trying to figure out what happened and found this thread.

Judging by the people above, it's obvious to me that there are plenty of Ableton customers who are being troubled by the lack of a simple Midi Overdub toggle that controls nothing but 1 parameter going on and off. It would be really awesome for me (and the aforementioned others, plus countless others who haven't found this forum) if the functionality that we used to have was returned as an option. I'd be happy even if I had to change something in the text preferences file or if I had to launch live from Terminal using some fancy parameters.

Right now I have to route my output from my audio interface (yes I could use Soundflower but not using CPU is a priority for me) into my extra mic jack on my computer, which then records in Audacity. Before you ask, I change the midi instruments and effects I have on tracks in real time, which means I can't just use the global record in Live.

It would be super awesome if I could just do what I used to do before, which is resample into an audio track in live. (And no, I can't just enable Midi overdub ahead of the set, because otherwise I can't sample the drum sounds without committing them to a currently looping beat.)

Best,
Sami

jrathkopf

Post by jrathkopf » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:18 am

edited

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:41 pm

+1

I get they did this session record button for push, and push looks awsome I may get one in the distant future, but I allready have a bunch of controller that give more or less the same functions and I really cant afford it for now.

They should have a setting in the options with Live + Push or just regular live without all the wierd features they changed just for push. Its not fair for the rest of us to change the whole program just to fit the push. Most Live users dont have Push!

nemoy

Post by nemoy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:49 pm

download 9 beta;
they added a switch in preferences
where you can choose between
session record messing up your
entire workflow, or just acting
as a normal midi overdub switch.

i think that was amongst the very
first things they changed with
their beta versions...

they might have actually listened
to their users this time, because
that one was bothering a lot of people!

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:26 pm

that's from 9.0.3
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

ChaSta

Post by ChaSta » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:28 am

So, any way to get permenant enabling on this button? Or am I the only one still missing live 8 overdub...