Dump APC40 for Nocturn?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
doghouse

Dump APC40 for Nocturn?

Post by doghouse » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:20 pm

I use Live only at home for recording...no gigging.

I had been using the control surface features of my Yamaha Motif to control Live for years, later I bought a Launchpad when the price dropped. On impulse about a year ago I bought an APC40 on sale but there's lots of overlap between the 3 controllers.

I could easily get by with just the Launchpad and Motif but would lose the best feature of the APC, the 8 device control encoders (the send encoders I don't need so much). The Motif already covers the transport, mixing, arm/solo/mute functions and the Launchpad the clip launching.

I was thinking about saving much-needed space by buying a Novation Nocturn to replace the APC, I understand it can be easily mapped to device and rack controls like the APC is.

Good idea, bad idea?

M-bition

Re: Dump APC40 for Nocturn?

Post by M-bition » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:33 pm

or get rid of the launchpad, thats also saving space and no need to buy another controller

TAPPY42

Post by TAPPY42 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:17 pm

you can have my nocturn, rubbish!

störgeräusche

Post by störgeräusche » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:57 pm

nocturn is great imho
expecially with this script
it's just so practical
i don't know about the standard automap since i only bought the nocturn after reading about the script guille did.
works great with newer versions of automap, and works great in live 8 as well as in live 9.
It just takes time to create your own plugin mappings, but after having done that, you'll find yourself touching the mouse less and less.
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:57 pm

M-bition wrote:get rid of the launchpad, thats also saving space and no need to buy another controller
I though about that but half of the left side of the APC40 (slicers and track buttons) are redundant since I have that control already on the Motif. It's mainly the knobs on the right that I use and only during mixing...just the parts they left off the APC20 8O Over half of the space it takes up is wasted on me, but you're right, it's already bought and paid for :wink:

For clip launching the LP works better...more pads, smaller unit and no power supply.

Anyway, thx for the Nocturn replies.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:39 am

Just sell everything and buy a Push?

Or keep the APC and sell everything else.

brettonwoodsapocalypse

Post by brettonwoodsapocalypse » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:54 am

Nocturn is rubbish, the automap thing is a bit of a nightmare, will never get this back on my computer. It creates an automap version of your plugins so if you decide to change controllers or need to swap files it gets overly complicated.
I agree with the previous, just go for the pus, it sounds just like what you need