EDM Producer Challenge - Win a slot at 9 Summer Festivals

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
agallant

EDM Producer Challenge - Win a slot at 9 Summer Festivals

Post by agallant » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:16 am

http://www.theuntz.com/the-untz-challen ... -a-reality

For all you hustling producers, making beats in your bedroom and playing house parties for your friends—this one’s for you. TheUntz.com is bringing back The Untz Challenge, but this time the stakes are higher than ever and are guaranteed to change your electronic music career forever.

Our prize package includes the opportunity to perform at the biggest and best summer music festivals taking place across the United States--and this year, we went absolutely bananas. The two winners of The Untz Challenge IV will be playing at NINE major music festivals across four months spanning the length of the country from coast to coast. Our two winning acts will hit Summer Camp Music Festival (May 24-26 - Chillicothe, IL), Wakarusa (May 30-June 2 - Ozark, AR), Infrasound (May 31-June 2 - Black River Falls, WI), IMPULSE (June 6-9 - Atlanta, GA), Sonic Bloom (June 13-16 – Georgetown, CO), Electric Forest (June 27-30 - Rothbury, MI), Lightning in a Bottle (July 11-15 - Temecula, CA), The Big Up (Aug 8-10 - Claverack, NY), and recently announced newcomer ARISE (Aug 14-18 - Loveland, CO)!

agallant

Re: EDM Producer Challenge - Win a slot at 9 Summer Festivals

Post by agallant » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:38 am

bump

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am

What if you're not making beats in your bedroom and playing house parties. What if you're making #1 hit's and have tracks all over the radio, can you still enter?

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:48 am

No. That's just rude.

How much action could someone expect to get out of this? (assuming they're not hideously ugly). Would I get a Winnebago with a Jacuzzi and a bar?

Just kidding, this is actually very cool.

Hope it goes to someone doing interesting stuff, not just the most marketable.

Breaks Dude

Post by Breaks Dude » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:00 pm

LOL as a professional touring EDM artist (14 years now) I find the following laughable: "Winners will be responsible for providing their own transportation to and from the festivals."

From California to MI, NY to Georgia? How many miles of traveling is this? Gas is currently $3.60/gal. What's worse are these events have several days in between so, if you're not going home, you're going to have to find or pay for someplace to stay in between. Accommodations during the festivals are kind of murky as well. Seems as if it's the luck of the draw as far as hotels, so I bet 2/3rds of these festivals won't provide a hotel.

These "contests" are cheezy IMO, just saying but then again I did it the hard way: working my way up. Hey, you've just won an opportunity to pay to perform! Wow such a deal!

I guess I'm probably one of the few left who believe hard-working and talented artists should be compensated for their efforts and time. Maybe pay Wolfgang a couple G's less, or have some of the headline acts chip in and provide some compensation for these acts? I dunno that's just me.

But most musicians are so desperate they'll agree to anything, even if it's detrimental to them financially.

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:33 pm

Breaks Dude wrote:Hey, you've just won an opportunity to pay to perform! Wow such a deal!
Zactly what i thought when i read the announcement.

justjohn_jj

Post by justjohn_jj » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:23 pm

It would be better if the subject line was literally true: "Win a slot at 9 Summer Festivals."

You could go to any that were close enough*, and choose others to sub for you at the remote ones.

* For certain values of "close enough."
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/jjMusic

ksonic

Post by ksonic » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:34 pm

"Each festival reserves the right to choose when and where to schedule the winners' slots, including but not limited to, pre-parties, after-parties, and silent discos."

I found that part funny as well.

You won a chance to play a house party that's in the same town as the festival!
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:10 pm

beatz01 wrote:
Breaks Dude wrote:Hey, you've just won an opportunity to pay to perform! Wow such a deal!
Zactly what i thought when i read the announcement.
been there, done that when in a band awhile ago. A) it gets you in front of more people b) can be costly depending on size of fest/# of acts/bands/etc...I personally don't like this or the sell x tickets and eat remainder of them if you don't sell them all before the show, i.e. have to sell 20-50 tickets depending on # of bands opening, etc...rough game I tell you. Getting paid little to nothing most of the time, even on a tour we footed the whole thing basically ($1200 on gas, $3k on 15 passenger van for 2 wks (10 shows in 12 days between memphis and chicago and we left from Boston haha, was a frickin long road trip....but was fun, don't want to drive like that again though....).

And lower posts about pre/post show? WTF is with that? I thought it was to hit the stage on this festival, not be a side-act....not worth it IMHO unless you a) have boatloads of cash for gas/food/hotels or b) have mommmy/daddy available to spend boatloads of cash on the same things! But that's just me.... I don't do Live live so it doesn't matter to me (nor do I do this style of music).
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:26 pm

agallant wrote:guaranteed to change your electronic music career forever.

the biggest and best summer music festivals taking place across the United States

coast to coast.

Chillicothe, IL,

Ozark, AR

Black River Falls, WI

Atlanta, GA

Georgetown, CO

Rothbury, MI

Temecula, CA

Claverack, NY

Loveland, CO
shame on you.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:37 pm

Tone Deft wrote: shame on you.
Are these no name festivals?

I don't see burning man mentioned, and didn't expect to be the absolute biggest and best. Assumed they were decent enough though.

(I didn't actually look into it properly)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:04 pm

there's no money in Burning Man.

just echoing what others have said. that's a hellacious touring schedule. times are tough so I guess people that want it will play anything anywhere. it just looks like someone looking to ride on other peoples' coat tails but I guess that's The Game isn't it?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Breaks Dude

Post by Breaks Dude » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:49 am

Tone Deft wrote:there's no money in Burning Man.

just echoing what others have said. that's a hellacious touring schedule. times are tough so I guess people that want it will play anything anywhere. it just looks like someone looking to ride on other peoples' coat tails but I guess that's The Game isn't it?
Everyone starts somewhere, and this is really not the way to start. For what it would cost you to play these shows (we're not just talking about fuel, but also food and lodging and that gets expensive when you're eating out all the time ask me how I know), you could do a whole lot of marketing for yourself. Press up some promo CDs and hand them out at an EDM festival or event near you, run a few ads on Facebook to get likes and engage people, Google Adwords directing people to your mixes or work...this will more likely lead to paying work than playing at some weird time next to the women's porta-potty in Chillicothe, IL. Buy some extra gear with the money and get inspired.

I have the same feeling about remix contests - most of the time, it's labels just looking for free work they'd otherwise have to pay someone to do.

Someone once told me if you place no value on yourself or your abilities, than that's what they're worth. Just my 2 shekels here lol.