Using my Ableton 8 library in Live 9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
theviewer1985

Using my Ableton 8 library in Live 9?

Post by theviewer1985 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:29 pm

Hey guys

So I have been keeping my Ableton Library for a few years now. Adding my own presets and effect chains to it etc

My worry is when i install Ableton 9, can I point the library to my old one? Won't I miss out on all the new presets and stuff that come with Live 9?

If so, how would I 'merge' the two together

Thanks

rishi

Re: Using my Ableton 8 library in Live 9?

Post by rishi » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:46 am

When I installed Live9 my Live8 library was maintained and accessible as a separate item called Live8 Library under the new Places section in the Live Browser.

Live9's library appears as User Library and is now located at Music/Ableton....

So you can run two libraries quite easily without having to do any set up

theviewer1985

Post by theviewer1985 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:33 am

OK so thats good that i wont lose anything. But its not a perfect situation for two reasons

One being I will be installing Live 9 on a brand new PC. So my library is on a backup drive, so hopefully Live 9 has a method of importing the live 8 library manually

Secondly, its not ideal having two libraries. I'd want to merge my old one with the new...

anyone shed light on this...?

cheers

K1D1M35N

Post by K1D1M35N » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:43 am

theviewer1985 wrote:
One being I will be installing Live 9 on a brand new PC. So my library is on a backup drive, so hopefully Live 9 has a method of importing the live 8 library manually
I'm pretty sure you could just copy the whole Library folder to your new machine (you already should have a backup on an external storage device if it was of any importance to you), tell L9 where the folder is and it'll show up.

The second question I'd like an answer too - maybe we'll have to wait for a 3rd party transfer tool?

theviewer1985

Post by theviewer1985 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:56 pm

K1D1M35N wrote:
theviewer1985 wrote:
I'm pretty sure you could just copy the whole Library folder to your new machine (you already should have a backup on an external storage device if it was of any importance to you), tell L9 where the folder is and it'll show up.

The second question I'd like an answer too - maybe we'll have to wait for a 3rd party transfer tool?
Yea this method is what i have been doing the past few years (whenever i do a re-install) i just go into the live 8 files setup and point it to my "beloved" library off of my backup drive and all works fine.

My concern is that i wont be able to do that with a newer version of ableton, because i dont want to overwrite, or delete, newer vst versions or extra presets that are in the live 9 default library that werent in the live 8 one

So hopefully, if a "merging" option isn't available then i can have both libraries running side by side. Rather than just one or the other

K1D1M35N

Post by K1D1M35N » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:27 pm

theviewer1985 wrote:
K1D1M35N wrote:
theviewer1985 wrote:

My concern is that i wont be able to do that with a newer version of ableton, because i dont want to overwrite, or delete, newer vst versions or extra presets that are in the live 9 default library that werent in the live 8 one
As far as the infos go the L8 library stays independent of the 9 version library, you always will have two different library locations (folders), so no problem here I guess.

theviewer1985

Post by theviewer1985 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:24 pm

K1D1M35N wrote:

As far as the infos go the L8 library stays independent of the 9 version library, you always will have two different library locations (folders), so no problem here I guess.
Ok, if there are two locations then yes, there will be no "problem" .... i guess the answer to this topic then is that i will have to manually move my custom presets from the old library to the new one manually... hopefully that will work. I dont much fancy having two libraries. Will be a nightmare to quick workflow