Midnight Skin in L9?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
Asymmetricalmusic
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:52 am

Midnight Skin in L9?

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:07 pm

WTF? I dont have time for this shit.

Where's my midnight skin for L9?

I'm doing a search now and I read somewhere it was hard to use?

is that why they took it away? I'm pissed, why do i care if someone else thinks it hard to see.

heres a concept dont use it. but dont take it away from me.

Skin editor? seriously......I make music not skins for Ableton.

Done Rant.

BoddAH
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:13 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Midnight Skin in L9?

Post by BoddAH » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:28 pm

Image

Asymmetricalmusic
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:52 am

Re: Midnight Skin in L9?

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:32 pm

I'm seriously grumpy over this

Im also insulted people want me to like their music to download their customs skins

Why doesn't live come with 100 skins ???

eddiex
Posts: 1782
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:51 am
Location: portland oregon

Re: Midnight Skin in L9?

Post by eddiex » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:51 pm

have you tried adjusting the skins, to find something close? that was the first surprise feature in 9 for me.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

skatr2
Posts: 450
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: Midnight Skin in L9?

Post by skatr2 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:51 pm

will the old one in 8 save over? Don't see why it wouldn't.

Asymmetricalmusic
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:52 am

Re: Midnight Skin in L9?

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:33 pm

yeah

i figured some things out, I'd rather be thinking about how I'm gonna use L9 to make music, now I'm searching for the right color scene. FAIL!

I tried to write a good joke here but they all sound so sexist me. like i don't do "picking out the drapes" very well. i know, i know, I'm sorry.

Dalmu
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:03 am

Re: Midnight Skin in L9?

Post by Dalmu » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:48 am


triant
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Re: Midnight Skin in L9?

Post by triant » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:32 am

skatr2 wrote:will the old one in 8 save over? Don't see why it wouldn't.
skatr2 is right; you can copy it over if you have a copy of live 8 sitting around. the midnight skin works fine for me in live 9.

on a mac:
right-click the live app and select "Show Package Contents"; the skins for each version are in Contents/App-Resources/Skins. just copy the skins you want from live 8's skin folder into live 9's.

on windows:
the skins are located in Program Files\Ableton\Live\Resources\Skins; just copy them over from 8 into 9 as above.

hopefully this helps?

i'd like to see someone come up with a new, better skin editor; the old one's pretty broken with OS X 10.8 and live 9. it seems so doable and would be appreciated by so many.

jlgrimes
Posts: 1533
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:55 am
Location: Atlanta, Ga

Re: Midnight Skin in L9?

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:38 am

Asymmetricalmusic wrote:WTF? I dont have time for this shit.

Where's my midnight skin for L9?

I'm doing a search now and I read somewhere it was hard to use?

is that why they took it away? I'm pissed, why do i care if someone else thinks it hard to see.

heres a concept dont use it. but dont take it away from me.

Skin editor? seriously......I make music not skins for Ableton.

Done Rant.
Yeah the Abe's have done this before. They often take cool skins from previous versions out of newer versions. Easch new version of Live actually seem to have less skins.

philipc
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:29 pm
Location: Bristol, UK.
Contact:

Re: Midnight Skin in L9?

Post by philipc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:56 pm

triant wrote:
skatr2 wrote:will the old one in 8 save over? Don't see why it wouldn't.
skatr2 is right; you can copy it over if you have a copy of live 8 sitting around. the midnight skin works fine for me in live 9.

on a mac:
right-click the live app and select "Show Package Contents"; the skins for each version are in Contents/App-Resources/Skins. just copy the skins you want from live 8's skin folder into live 9's.

on windows:
the skins are located in Program Files\Ableton\Live\Resources\Skins; just copy them over from 8 into 9 as above.

hopefully this helps?

i'd like to see someone come up with a new, better skin editor; the old one's pretty broken with OS X 10.8 and live 9. it seems so doable and would be appreciated by so many.
Nice, I'll have to try that. I miss the Oak skin. So easy on the eyes.

Asymmetricalmusic
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:52 am

Re: Midnight Skin in L9?

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:33 pm

So did the reading and moved the skin

BUT

it's almost prefect

Will someone change the clip stop color to black or dark grey instead of light grey?

I know I could learn a skin editor but I could also learn to knit .......I just don't want to.

BoddAH
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:13 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Midnight Skin in L9?

Post by BoddAH » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:47 pm

jlgrimes wrote:
Asymmetricalmusic wrote:WTF? I dont have time for this shit.

Where's my midnight skin for L9?

I'm doing a search now and I read somewhere it was hard to use?

is that why they took it away? I'm pissed, why do i care if someone else thinks it hard to see.

heres a concept dont use it. but dont take it away from me.

Skin editor? seriously......I make music not skins for Ableton.

Done Rant.
Yeah the Abe's have done this before. They often take cool skins from previous versions out of newer versions. Easch new version of Live actually seem to have less skins.
I have noticed that Ableton frequently remove some minor features and it's actually a thing I like about them.

While other companies just tack new features onto the previous versions on top of all the legacy stuff, Ableton actually take a step back and look at the bigger picture. They never lose focus of the holy workflow and they certainly don't hesitate slashing little things to make the overall package more straightforward and less bloated as well as more appealing to newcomers.

Of course there'll always be some grumpy people missing manual analysis of audio files or some minor pre-Clip Automation workflow perks but as long as the overall experience is consistent and "better" I'm a happy guy.

triant
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Re: Midnight Skin in L9?

Post by triant » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:37 pm

Asymmetricalmusic wrote:So did the reading and moved the skin

BUT

it's almost prefect

Will someone change the clip stop color to black or dark grey instead of light grey?

I know I could learn a skin editor but I could also learn to knit .......I just don't want to.
classy.

jlgrimes
Posts: 1533
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:55 am
Location: Atlanta, Ga

Re: Midnight Skin in L9?

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:26 pm

BoddAH wrote:
jlgrimes wrote:
Asymmetricalmusic wrote:WTF? I dont have time for this shit.

Where's my midnight skin for L9?

I'm doing a search now and I read somewhere it was hard to use?

is that why they took it away? I'm pissed, why do i care if someone else thinks it hard to see.

heres a concept dont use it. but dont take it away from me.

Skin editor? seriously......I make music not skins for Ableton.

Done Rant.
Yeah the Abe's have done this before. They often take cool skins from previous versions out of newer versions. Easch new version of Live actually seem to have less skins.
I have noticed that Ableton frequently remove some minor features and it's actually a thing I like about them.

While other companies just tack new features onto the previous versions on top of all the legacy stuff, Ableton actually take a step back and look at the bigger picture. They never lose focus of the holy workflow and they certainly don't hesitate slashing little things to make the overall package more straightforward and less bloated as well as more appealing to newcomers.

Of course there'll always be some grumpy people missing manual analysis of audio files or some minor pre-Clip Automation workflow perks but as long as the overall experience is consistent and "better" I'm a happy guy.
I actually find it a bit frustrating (although the skin is a minor feature that can be manually imported back). None of their removals though affected me any. Matter of fact most of their redesigns have benefited my workflow. But I do get a little paranoid that one day Ableton might decide to remove a feature that I enjoy. And Ableton isn't always my main DAW so if things get too bad I can fall back on other DAWs pretty easily. But with 9 I have been making more instrumentals which is my main function of Live anyways.

But in general I only like feature removals when the new design is clearly better than the old way.

Martin Gifford
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:48 am

Re: Midnight Skin in L9?

Post by Martin Gifford » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:54 am

I tried Black Light by Ayoki skin last night. Excellent. It makes it look like there's a blue light behind ableton shining through some of the letters and buttons.

It would take almost no effort for Abes to fix the skins, but they refuse.

Post Reply