Push just might be positively brilliant

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nowtime

Push just might be positively brilliant

Post by nowtime » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:33 am

Potentially leaving Maschine in the dirt.

Though I probably won't buy it (i have too many controllers and it's expensive), if the Push groove boxes can compete with Mashine it will be down to workflow. I know that the two are quite different but they will compete. Recently bringing Maschine back into my mix reminds me how damn fun 16 pad groove boxes/drum pads are. Maschine is amazing with its 8 lit group buttons and other goodies. if Push has a good unimpeding workflow, it will win. A 64 pad groove box with large step sequencer, 8 knob control of drum or synth, clip launcher/recorder and innovative keyboard.
The only thing impeding me with maschine right now, is how to record the whole remixing routine with maximum edit ability and keeping low latency. It seems there is always a limit to how much of your abusing of your sequencer you can record with trueness. Live is usually great for this except when using Looper. This new hardware/software combo could be special in its power.

Dalmu

Re: Push just might be positively brilliant

Post by Dalmu » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:58 am

I'm hoping there's some mod for slicing samples a la maschine for Push. THAT would be a Maschine killer. I had the Maschine MK I and didn't like it because I was forced to use NI's software for maschine as an interface between the controller and my DAW (logic 9). completely despised that plus the fact that I couldn't slice MP3s made me sell the unit. The pads felt great though, and the hardware in general was well thought out and fun.

Hoping for way better with push, plus the in-key playing just makes it extra attractive for me.

nowtime

Re: Push just might be positively brilliant

Post by nowtime » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:19 am

As a person who is often playing a drum or keyboard with at least one hand, I love Maschine's one-handed pad mutes, one-handed pattern change, and group mutes. Important workflow point for me. I can do this with Lives controllers but there is something elegant in visual feedback with16 lit pads that I haven't yet found with the APC or LP. Push could shine here.