Live 9 is so broken

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
sincla

Live 9 is so broken

Post by sincla » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:03 pm

The more I work with it, the more I hate it

- Almost impossible to use automation point editing
- Browser is just horrible (indexing, subcategories)
- 8 vertical clips in a session view? I can't figure out how to scroll down.
- Constant crashes (e.g. file format is not supported=crash)
- even higher CPU usage as before
- broken interface, stupid new interface features
- New features are just marketing rubbish and gimmicks
- Drum rack interface is over complicated, non-intuitive, flow breaking and lacks crucial features like envelopes

Please repair the once great program

d.reamonn

Re: Live 9 is so broken

Post by d.reamonn » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:07 pm

sincla wrote:The more I work with it, the more I hate it

- Almost impossible to use automation point editing
- Browser is just horrible (indexing, subcategories)
- 8 vertical clips in a session view? I can't figure out how to scroll down.
- Constant crashes (e.g. file format is not supported=crash)
- even higher CPU usage THAN before
- Drum rack interface is over complicated, non-intuitive, flow breaking and lacks crucial features like envelopes

:x
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

sincla

Post by sincla » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:33 pm

Thanks for improving my broken English ;)

Just figured out how to add more clips in the session view. It's not intuitive at all: you have to ctrl+drag a clip down into non existent place underneath than delete this duplicated clip in order to create a new one.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:38 pm

concerning clips: doubleclick should do the trick or command+d

but i guess ive been rickrolled :roll:

sincla

Post by sincla » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:45 pm

Try to search in a new browser and instead of listing the files, which correspond to a search term, it lists the upper-most folders, so you have to navigate down through each of them in order to preview the file. Even more you have to browse all of your sample folders, because it list the uppermost folders only in the selected sample folder. Very nice feature.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:50 pm

sincla wrote:Try to search in a new browser and instead of listing the files, which correspond to a search term, it lists the upper-most folders, so you have to navigate down through each of them in order to preview the file. Even more you have to browse all of your sample folders, because it list the uppermost folders only in the selected sample folder. Very nice feature.
that's really great. Now try to open a certain folder on your harddrive that has not been indexed or added to places already. whow. impossible. A browser that can't browse. But it can search! and find stuff very fast. And display the uppermost folder instead of the search-result!

I use finder again.

sincla

Post by sincla » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Looping in simpler is ridiculous - it's impossible to have a sample start position, which is different from loop start position or vice versa. E.g. if you want to loop let us say a middle area of the sample you will automatically set a sample start point to the middle of the sample and you can't edit it.

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:30 pm

WAY higher CPU usage...Really sucks too. My laptop is pretty damn powerful too yet I still get crazy high numbers...And talk about the crashes...

WORDS OF ADVICE: STAY AWAY FROM CONVOLUTION REVERB.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:21 pm

squelcht wrote:WAY higher CPU usage...Really sucks too. My laptop is pretty damn powerful too yet I still get crazy high numbers...And talk about the crashes...

WORDS OF ADVICE: STAY AWAY FROM CONVOLUTION REVERB.
actually not true for me. I use it all the time and never had any crash. osx 10.7.5. mbp 2012

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:49 pm

- 8 vertical clips in a session view? I can't figure out how to scroll down. HUH???!!!???!

Since when did this get limited? You used to have a default view depending how larger the browser itself was expanded to, then scroll down. This has been changed as well? If that's the case...WTF? I don't think this is the case though as I recall seeing several (more than 8 if I recall) slots in session view. I'll poke around when I'm on it this evening....CPU higher, yes I believe that to be the case as it seems sluggish on my system that ran 8.x.x w/o issues.

Drumracks changed? Didn't even look at them yet to see if there is anything fundamentally different...shows how much time I've spent in Live since pack installations = 0 time till tonight.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:59 pm

darkenedsoul wrote:

- 8 vertical clips in a session view? I can't figure out how to scroll down. HUH???!!!???!

Since when did this get limited?

It didn't. You can still load as many as you want.
Last edited by Matt_Quinn on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

kirillov

Post by kirillov » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:46 pm

CPU usage: not higher for me. actually, working in the arrangement is much, much more fluid then
with live 8! crashes? yeah, I had some...

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:59 pm

Running on E6850 4GB memory, Win7 (not audio tweaked), Motu 828 Mk II (MIDI in/out and Audio in/out) with a drum rack with 1 MIDI clip and CPU showing 1-2$ usage. System seemed sluggish...what the hell is with that? I was able to get my clip (1 bar triplets 16th notes) set up and playing finally as I was hoping (70 BPM) but the performance seems pretty crappy on a 3GHz CPU in Win7....

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

brettonwoodsapocalypse

Post by brettonwoodsapocalypse » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:00 pm

L9 is actually faster for me than Live 8. Didn't have a crash so far. Drum racks are the same. Maybe check your config before complaining... Agree on the browser, a bit slow and it should let user decide if they want to index or not

erikomic

Post by erikomic » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:31 pm

sincla wrote: - Almost impossible to use automation point editing
Beside the "handle" behavior of curved automation, I don't see what's the problem with automation editing. Either way you record the "moves" and you get plenty of "automation points" wich you can edit later. Or you select areas and drag them up or down to offset levels. You can also "erase" an automation movement from level A to B (command-backspace) so to have a straight line that you can the curve... It is all there.
Furthemore you can now drag (any) automation from arrangement view to session view, that's more powerful than ever (i don't know any other program that let you do that- but maybe I'm wrong)
sincla wrote: - Browser is just horrible (indexing, subcategories)
No better than in LIve 8 for sure.
sincla wrote: - 8 vertical clips in a session view? I can't figure out how to scroll down.
There are a lot of shortcuts to Show and hide Areas. You should learn them, it simplifies the work flow.
Command-i insert a scene. Command-D duplicate a slot/clip. Or maybe it is your trackpad you have trouble with? :lol: . You can also save a set "as default" with the number of tracks and slots and effexes (and complaints) just like you want (in pref > file folder).

sincla wrote: - Constant crashes (e.g. file format is not supported=crash)
I haven't had a single crash yet with live 9 so far.

sincla wrote: - even higher CPU usage as before
Mine remain exessively low and about the same as in live 8. (depending of course of plugins, number of tracks...)
I don't know what you re reffering to. I've had some trouble with new shortcuts doing strange things... But ?
Can you name them I'd be interrested
That's true but it is the same as in live 8. And that's why I use "instrument rack" instead wich is more powerfull but lacks send/return effexes.
:lol:
You mean a refund ?