Live 9 + Maschine? - CPU Spike issues

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Richard Sweat

Live 9 + Maschine? - CPU Spike issues

Post by Richard Sweat » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:53 am

Howdy do everyone,

So I've been using Live 9 for a lot of 2013 (started with Beta then installed full 9 upon release). Haven't really had any issues up until this past weekend. I had Live cause a kernel panic on my macbook pro, which has never happened in the past. And does not seem to happen when running Live 8 or a variety of other CPU intensive applications.

In addition to the kernel panic I have witnessed 9 glitch out terribly to the point that it isn't usable. Inside Activity Monitor in OSX the CPU% hits between 100-180%, inside 9 itself the CPU sits around 50% with nothing playing. I have noticed that the percentage goes up when the Maschine AU/VST and Hardware are loaded and connected inside of Live. Anyone else seeing this problem? Again it is not something that is replicated in Live 8, only 9.

My computer and instrument/controller setup:
Macbook Pro
2.26 Core 2 Duo
4 Gigs Ram
Running Snow Leopard
Ableton 8/9 Suite

Connected via USB:
NI Audio Kontrol1 Audio Interface
NI Maschine
Moog Little Phatty
Virus Ti Snow

MrPike

Re: Live 9 + Maschine? - CPU Spike issues

Post by MrPike » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:24 am

I have a similar problem running Live 9.02, massive CPU spikes and terribly glitching of audio. I am not using Maschine though, I have a Motu UltraLightmk3 and running four send channels. I also have Kontact with Alicia Keys and a couple of instances of Isotope. The CPU spikes happen at random, they are also making impossible to bounce my tracks to use in another program. I have updated all my drivers and firmwares and still its happening. I tried moving my UltraLight from Firewire to USB in case that was causing a problem.
---------------------------------------

Macbook Pro
2.2 Intel Core i7
8 Gig of Ram
256 Internal Flash Drive

Connected via USA:
UltraLightmk3

Connected via Fireware 800
2 x 1tb drives (one has my external packs)

faktor

Post by faktor » Sat May 04, 2013 10:10 am

Same here, using MASCHINE with Live 9 and the CPU spiking is off the scale even when the Meter is only hitting 30%. Something aint right.

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Sat May 04, 2013 10:44 am

Has anyone reported it to support?

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Sat May 04, 2013 3:04 pm

I'm "glad" to hear others are experiencing this, too.
I don't have Maschine but I use an APC40 + touchable + touchosc on iPhone.
I just wrote about what happened to me here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=193396

I suggest you download the demo, which is 9.0.1 for now, while you still can, which, i think, may let you play your sets stutter-free (seems to work for me).
The stuttering began for me with 9.0.2.

I just sent an email to support.

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:55 pm

I'm noticing this with Live 9.1 now... Is anyone else still experiencing these seemingly random CPU spikes? I certainly need to test more, though, to see if I can find the specific source of the issue.

Unsound Echoes

Post by Unsound Echoes » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:22 pm

Mister, just starting to notice this as well on 9.1. Driving me crazy. It's spiking randomly and causing playback to stop for a split second, though my system activity monitor isn't showing anything out of the ordinary.

At the moment, the only VSTs I'm running are Massive, Sylenth, mau5ynth, and Bass Station.

Looks like I'm going to have to do some more in-depth testing. Frustrating...

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:52 pm

Unsound Echoes wrote:Mister, just starting to notice this as well on 9.1. Driving me crazy. It's spiking randomly and causing playback to stop for a split second, though my system activity monitor isn't showing anything out of the ordinary.

At the moment, the only VSTs I'm running are Massive, Sylenth, mau5ynth, and Bass Station.

It certainly is frustrating. I thought with Maschine 2.0's multicore support as well, I'd finally be able to do what I wanted to do with it inside Live. Not so, it seems. Though are you not even using Maschine and it's happening?

Unsound Echoes

Post by Unsound Echoes » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:49 pm

Mister36 wrote:
Unsound Echoes wrote:Mister, just starting to notice this as well on 9.1. Driving me crazy. It's spiking randomly and causing playback to stop for a split second, though my system activity monitor isn't showing anything out of the ordinary.

It certainly is frustrating. I thought with Maschine 2.0's multicore support as well, I'd finally be able to do what I wanted to do with it inside Live. Not so, it seems. Though are you not even using Maschine and it's happening?
No, I just happened upon this thread looking for others with CPU spike issues. My only hardware is a Launchkey49. Outside of these spikes, I never see CPU usage upwards of 15-18%, even with many soft synth instances (Intel i5 3570k).

Are you running any of the same VSTs as I am by chance?

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:55 pm

Unsound Echoes wrote:
Mister36 wrote:

No, I just happened upon this thread looking for others with CPU spike issues. My only hardware is a Launchkey49. Outside of these spikes, I never see CPU usage upwards of 15-18%, even with many soft synth instances (Intel i5 3570k).

Are you running any of the same VSTs as I am by chance?
None that you have listed when the spikes occur. Pencils in Live as the culprit to me, but, as I said before, I need to test more.

tintala

Post by tintala » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:22 pm

Running w-7 64 bit with Maschine 1.8 and M-2 software... getting cpu spikes that are crashing Live. I have written to Abelton support, and my issues were many...

My midi remote scripts are somehow misplaced or wrong
Maschine 2 remote scripts dont seem to be recognized by Live. Support told me to reset Live. So I did, still getting CPU spikes. I haven't been able to open Live due to M2 issues for about 2 weeks now.

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:33 pm

tintala wrote:Running w-7 64 bit with Maschine 1.8 and M-2 software... getting cpu spikes that are crashing Live. I have written to Abelton support, and my issues were many...

Maschine 2 remote scripts dont seem to be recognized by Live. Support told me to reset Live. So I did, still getting CPU spikes. I haven't been able to open Live due to M2 issues for about 2 weeks now.
Have you definitely isolated it to being M2? As in, have you systematically removed all other plugins (inside and outside the M2 plugin) and/or just used M2 inside Live and still noticed the spikes?

And I think there is an issue that needs to be rectified by Ableton/NI with regard to 9.1 and the Maschine remote script.

tintala

Post by tintala » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:36 pm

Mister36 wrote:
tintala wrote:Running w-7 64 bit with Maschine 1.8 and M-2 software... getting cpu spikes that are crashing Live. I have written to Abelton support, and my issues were many...

Have you definitely isolated it to being M2? As in, have you systematically removed all other plugins (inside and outside the M2 plugin) and/or just used M2 inside Live and still noticed the spikes?

And I think there is an issue that needs to be rectified by Ableton/NI with regard to 9.1 and the Maschine remote script.

Just M2 inside of Live, and yes removed all vst , Live was still crashing on startup, also removed all vst in a new project leaving m2, and still had cpu spikes..Support isolated the remote midi scripts issue for me with my crash reports, the response was :

"Live's log-file is showing issues which can be traced back to the script in use:

21402 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "
21403 ms. RemoteScriptError: <string>
21403 ms. RemoteScriptError: ", line
21403 ms. RemoteScriptError: 1
21403 ms. RemoteScriptError:

21403 ms. RemoteScriptError: import Maschine 2

21406 ms. RemoteScriptError: SyntaxError"

they also suggested resetting Live, which I did.... nothing rectified the spikes as of yet, but the midi scripts compounded my problems. sorry if my response was a bit off topic, I do think its pertinent though.

PlainJaneFrancis

Post by PlainJaneFrancis » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:34 am

Just wrote on another person's thread about this. Yea Ableton has been my best friend for 5+ years now. This is the first time it's every been crazy on the CPU for no reason. I hope it gets fixed soon. So much for Simpler without consequences...