Live 9 Performance Test

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
M-bition
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:22 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Live 9 Performance Test

Post by M-bition » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:25 pm

M-bition wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:22 am
1) Ableton Live CPU Meter 9%
2) Laptop/Desktop? LAPTOP Clevo P751DM-G
3) Operating System? Windows 8.1 Pro X64
4) Ableton Live version? 9.2.3
5) CPU Make, Model, and Speed? DESKTOP I7-6700K @ 4.2 GHz
6) Amount of Ram? 16Gb DDR4 2400 2.4GHz
7) Soundcard NI Komplete Audio 6
8] Hard Disk Drive Speed ? Samsung 850 Evo 500gb SSD
9) Number of playback tracks? 8
10) 64 or 32bit live? 64 bit
11) Max number of tracks before crackle 208

Really impressed with the power. 192 tracks @ 91% and 208 tracks @ 98%
Clocking the cpu @ 4.5GHz did not really make a difference however. Just a few tracks more. Wondering what is going on here...
So with some mods this laptop now runs a I9-9900K with all cores @ 4.0. The motherboard is not able to run it faster due to power throttling etc.
310 tracks in total at 95%

1) Ableton Live CPU Meter 8%
2) Laptop/Desktop? LAPTOP Clevo P751DM-G
3) Operating System? Windows 10 Pro X64
4) Ableton Live version? 10.0.6
5) CPU Make, Model, and Speed? DESKTOP I9-9900K @ 4.0 GHz
6) Amount of Ram? 16Gb DDR4 2400 2.4GHz
7) Soundcard Maschine MK3
8] Hard Disk Drive Speed ? Samsung 970 Evo 500gb NVME SSD
9) Number of playback tracks? 8
10) 64 or 32bit live? 64 bit
11) Max number of tracks before crackle 310

Richard Smithson
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:18 am

Re: Live 9 Performance Test

Post by Richard Smithson » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:43 pm

M-bition wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:25 pm
M-bition wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:22 am
1) Ableton Live CPU Meter 9%
2) Laptop/Desktop? LAPTOP Clevo P751DM-G
3) Operating System? Windows 8.1 Pro X64
4) Ableton Live version? 9.2.3
5) CPU Make, Model, and Speed? DESKTOP I7-6700K @ 4.2 GHz
6) Amount of Ram? 16Gb DDR4 2400 2.4GHz
7) Soundcard NI Komplete Audio 6
8] Hard Disk Drive Speed ? Samsung 850 Evo 500gb SSD
9) Number of playback tracks? 8
10) 64 or 32bit live? 64 bit
11) Max number of tracks before crackle 208

Really impressed with the power. 192 tracks @ 91% and 208 tracks @ 98%
Clocking the cpu @ 4.5GHz did not really make a difference however. Just a few tracks more. Wondering what is going on here...
So with some mods this laptop now runs a I9-9900K with all cores @ 4.0. The motherboard is not able to run it faster due to power throttling etc.
310 tracks in total at 95%

1) Ableton Live CPU Meter 8%
2) Laptop/Desktop? LAPTOP Clevo P751DM-G
3) Operating System? Windows 10 Pro X64
4) Ableton Live version? 10.0.6
5) CPU Make, Model, and Speed? DESKTOP I9-9900K @ 4.0 GHz
6) Amount of Ram? 16Gb DDR4 2400 2.4GHz
7) Soundcard Maschine MK3
8] Hard Disk Drive Speed ? Samsung 970 Evo 500gb NVME SSD
9) Number of playback tracks? 8
10) 64 or 32bit live? 64 bit
11) Max number of tracks before crackle 310
At the start of the thread, the test project has been deleted from the link? Where did you get the test project?
Thanks

M-bition
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:22 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Live 9 Performance Test

Post by M-bition » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:01 pm

I still had a project on my disk

Richard Smithson
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:18 am

Re: Live 9 Performance Test

Post by Richard Smithson » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:06 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:31 pm
I'm posting a new standardized test in a few days.
Did you create that test?

Richard Smithson
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:18 am

Re: Live 9 Performance Test

Post by Richard Smithson » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:08 pm

M-bition wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:01 pm
I still had a project on my disk
Ah ok. Just to clairy, did you use this test - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e5CW4J ... 8JDE0/view
I found it posted on page 11 of this thread.

M-bition
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:22 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Live 9 Performance Test

Post by M-bition » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:23 pm

I am not sure. I will give that a go soon. My laptop is @4.5 now and I also want to check the difference with the i9 with HT on or off.

Richard Smithson
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:18 am

Re: Live 9 Performance Test

Post by Richard Smithson » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:35 pm

M-bition wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:23 pm
I am not sure. I will give that a go soon. My laptop is @4.5 now and I also want to check the difference with the i9 with HT on or off.
Ah ok. Well I will post my results soon with the test I just posted above. It would be interesting to compare.

Richard Smithson
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:18 am

Re: Live 9 Performance Test

Post by Richard Smithson » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:47 pm

Richard Smithson wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:35 pm
M-bition wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:23 pm
I am not sure. I will give that a go soon. My laptop is @4.5 now and I also want to check the difference with the i9 with HT on or off.
Ah ok. Well I will post my results soon with the test I just posted above. It would be interesting to compare.
1) Ableton Live CPU Meter % (if it bounces around, please list the peak) 6
2) Laptop/Desktop? Make/Model? Desktop Scan 3XS
3) Operating System? Windows 10 Home 64bit
4) Ableton Live version? 10.1
5) CPU Make, Model, and Speed? intel i9 4.9 ghz
6) Amount of Ram? 64gb
7) Soundcard (and driver version if you know it)? RME UC
8) Hard Disk Drive Speed (if you know)? SSD. Not sure on speed
9) Number of playback tracks? 8

Then the big test I maxed out tracks at 338. Glitches at the start then stabalises. Ableton CPU at 91. Task manager at 100, Ram usage at 23

M-bition
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:22 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Live 9 Performance Test

Post by M-bition » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:34 pm

Nice 😎

1) Ableton Live CPU Meter % (if it bounces around, please list the peak) 8
2) Laptop Model? Clevo P751-TM
3) Operating System? Windows 10 Home 64bit
4) Ableton Live version? 10.1
5) CPU Make, Model, and Speed? intel i9-9900k @ 4.6 ghz
6) Amount of Ram? 32gb
7) Soundcard (and driver version if you know it)? Maschine MK3
8) Hard Disk Drive Speed (if you know)? SSD Samsung 970 evo
9) Number of playback tracks? 8

About the same max as yours (338) at about 95% but a bit sluggish and cpu gets really hot. 100degrees

With hyperthreading off:
8 tracks at 6%, makes me wonder...
Maxes out at about 280 tracks at 95% and sluggish and cpu is warm but without concerns (85degrees)

Tone Deft
Posts: 24062
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Live 9 Performance Test

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 29, 2020 8:17 pm

BUMP in reference to people asking for suggestions on new computers.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, POD500HDX, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

[jur]
Site Admin
Posts: 2150
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:04 pm
Location: Ableton

Re: Live 9 Performance Test

Post by [jur] » Sat May 30, 2020 4:41 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:17 pm
BUMP in reference to people asking for suggestions on new computers.
I was thinking about creating a new version of this topic.
The idea was to use the built-in set in Live's lessons to make it "simpler" and somewhat "universal". We would just duplicate all tracks until it crackles and remove them one by one until the playback is back to normal.
I need to check if this demo set is the same in Live Standard and Suite, but in any case it'd give a good overall overview I think.
Any opinion on this?
Ableton Forum Moderator

Tone Deft
Posts: 24062
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Live 9 Performance Test

Post by Tone Deft » Sat May 30, 2020 5:13 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 4:41 pm
I was thinking about creating a new version of this topic.
The idea was to use the built-in set in Live's lessons to make it "simpler" and somewhat "universal". We would just duplicate all tracks until it crackles and remove them one by one until the playback is back to normal.
I need to check if this demo set is the same in Live Standard and Suite, but in any case it'd give a good overall overview I think.
Any opinion on this?
sounds like a great idea! I love that the test set is something that's available for all users. I also like the format the the OPs set up in the Performance Threads, nice and simple.

thanks! 8)
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, POD500HDX, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

[jur]
Site Admin
Posts: 2150
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:04 pm
Location: Ableton

Re: Live 9 Performance Test

Post by [jur] » Sun May 31, 2020 9:59 pm

Hey Tone,
I won't be able to take the time to properly create the topic until the middle of the week, so if you feel like starting it you're welcome.
I also think that the system specs and stuffs format used in this topic is nice and re-usable.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Tone Deft
Posts: 24062
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Live 9 Performance Test

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:27 am

[jur] wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 4:41 pm
I need to check if this demo set is the same in Live Standard and Suite, but in any case it'd give a good overall overview I think.
I'll start off here and look for a suitable built-in lesson.

$0.02 welcome from experienced users on selecting a lesson.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, POD500HDX, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

[jur]
Site Admin
Posts: 2150
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:04 pm
Location: Ableton

Re: Live 9 Performance Test

Post by [jur] » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:10 am

I was thinking about the 1st one found in the "what"s new in Live 10".
Ableton Forum Moderator

Post Reply