Adding your instruments to the "sound" category?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
diordna

Adding your instruments to the "sound" category?

Post by diordna » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:44 am

Is there a way an instrument or drum rack can appear in the "sounds" section of the live 9 library? I see that my instrument appears in the user library as well as in the instrument section, but I don't see a way to designate my instrument as a specific type (bass, pad etc.) and have it show up when browsing sounds. Wondering if this is possible.
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel Core2 Duo P8600 2.4G
4 Gb ram
---
Ableton 9.0.2
NI Audio Kontrol 1
MPK49/APC40/Push

re:dream

Re: Adding your instruments to the "sound" category?

Post by re:dream » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:08 am

As far as I know the Sounds are Ableton's Factory presets category and you cannae put yer own sounds in there.

lectro

Post by lectro » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:21 am

I find this quite annoying. especially when you just want to use your own sounds and maybe a hand full of Ableton's Factory pre-sets.
You can't even delete or hide any of the factory content, like you could in Live 8.

Hopefully, fingers crossed! Ableton will sort this out. Some times I feel Live has gone one step forward and then two steps back. :|

guillaume82

Post by guillaume82 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:30 am

For some reason it's not described in the manual, but it's possible. You just need to save your instruments into folders named after the existing Sounds category. Say you save a device in your User Library in a folder called "Bass", it will show up alongside factory content in the Sounds category.

Unfortunately this works only with existing folders. I.e. you can't create a new Sounds category.

Hope it helps.