NI Komplete 9 - Worth Upgrading from Komplete 7?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mozzatron

NI Komplete 9 - Worth Upgrading from Komplete 7?

Post by mozzatron » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:03 am

Just wondering if it's worth shelling out $150 for the upgrade from Komplete 7?

Battery 4 and the Monark synth look decent....anyone used them? What else is worth checking out in the upgrade?

Szuumm

Re: NI Komplete 9 - Worth Upgrading from Komplete 7?

Post by Szuumm » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:58 am

I'm not a Komplete owner, but I think for that upgrade price it's a no-brainer.

Apart from the products you've mentioned, I think the 'new' compressors are supposed to be really nice.

glenn303

Post by glenn303 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:29 pm

Yes. I just upgraded from Komplete 7, well worth the price. I mainly upgraded because of Battery 4 and Monark.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:31 pm

I am on the fence, I picked up K8 upgrade last year....for less money. This one also includes The Grand - piano as well as what was mentioned. They state 33 instruments....I only see 3 additions + maybe some FX stuff (Grand, Monark, Battery 4). So I am not sure. I would need to see a comparison between K8 and K9 (regular, not the one with external drive). So I am not sure as I hardly use Battery (drum racks, impulse is pretty much what I have been using but taking samples from Battery kits and using them in rack/impulse....I need to redo this for Live 9 I suspect to see the samples in the battery libraries? ;-( ? ).
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:03 pm

Well i tried upgrading and my payment was declined twice (through paypal and credit card) even though i have the funds.....maybe i'm not supposed to upgrade!!?!

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:10 pm

mozzatron wrote:Well i tried upgrading and my payment was declined twice (through paypal and credit card) even though i have the funds.....maybe i'm not supposed to upgrade!!?!
From what I seen, most of the instruments are the same, with some additions, and they throw in some "vintage" compressor plug ins for nice measure. Might be worth upgrading. However, depending on the kind of production you are working on you might also consider EWQL pack, they have some nice discounts on their products. (Excluding Hollywood series and brand new packs)

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:15 pm

Nope
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:35 pm

From K7->K9 for 150$ Id say definitely. For k8->k9, Id say no. Thats my situation and Im passing on it, theres just really not enough in there to justify it, but from going from k7->k9 Id say theres plenty of content and updates that would make it worth it

blinkeye

Post by blinkeye » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:55 pm

darkenedsoul wrote:I am on the fence, I picked up K8 upgrade last year....for less money. This one also includes The Grand - piano as well as what was mentioned. They state 33 instruments....I only see 3 additions + maybe some FX stuff (Grand, Monark, Battery 4). So I am not sure. I would need to see a comparison between K8 and K9 (regular, not the one with external drive).
What's new in Komplete 9 that was not in Komplete 8:
Monark
Battery 4
The Giant
Solid EQ
Solid Bus Comp
Solid Dynamics
Session Strings

The Giant and Solid Mix are alone over the $149 update price.

Things that are in K9U that weren't in K8U:
Battery 4
Monark
Skanner XT
Driver
RC24
RC48
Action Strings
Session Horns
Vintage Drummer
Evolve
Damage
Rickenbacker Bass
The Giant
standalone Solid Mix series - in K8U they were only loadable within GR5

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:00 pm

I'd be going from 5 to 9. So the price is a no brainer, but the drive space needed is obnoxious. I'd have to do some serious drive cleaning...most of which would already be NI shit I don't use. :x

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:02 pm

blinkeye wrote:
darkenedsoul wrote:I am on the fence, I picked up K8 upgrade last year....for less money. This one also includes The Grand - piano as well as what was mentioned. They state 33 instruments....I only see 3 additions + maybe some FX stuff (Grand, Monark, Battery 4). So I am not sure. I would need to see a comparison between K8 and K9 (regular, not the one with external drive).
What's new in Komplete 9 that was not in Komplete 8:
Monark
Battery 4
The Giant
Solid EQ
Solid Bus Comp
Solid Dynamics
Session Strings

The Giant and Solid Mix are alone over the $149 update price.

Things that are in K9U that weren't in K8U:
Battery 4
Monark
Skanner XT
Driver
RC24
RC48
Action Strings
Session Horns
Vintage Drummer
Evolve
Damage
Rickenbacker Bass
The Giant
standalone Solid Mix series - in K8U they were only loadable within GR5
And going from 7->8 you get:
GUITAR RIG 5 PRO
KONTAKT 5
RETRO MACHINES MK2
TRANSIENT MASTER
STUDIO DRUMMER
WEST AFRICA

so for the OP he would get that + the new additions from 8 to 9

craftycurate

Post by craftycurate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:35 pm

8 to 9 definitely not worth it IMO esp since update price is the same all the way back to Komplete 2. Best to skip a couple of versions unless you REALLY want Monark, Battery 4 plus some other minor packs right now.
Core i7 2.3GHz|Win7x64|8GB|1.5TB & Core 2 Duo T7200, XP Pro SP3,
Nio 2|4, Edirol PCR800, NanoKontrol , Komplete Synths + Reaktor 5, Cameleon, Alchemy, FabFilter 2 suite
http://www.myspace.com/richardlyallmusic http://craftycurate.blogs.com

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:48 pm

I'm in beats me's situation. on Komplete 6 so enough new content to justify the upgrade.
Honestly though I mainly use Kontakt with Kirk Hunter Strings, Absynth, and Guitar Rig.
the content is out of hand! though I bought a desktop for this reason! :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:24 pm

My other problem is my NI software from over the years seems to have gone through several different standard installations. So Kontakt 2 had a different standard folder structure than Kontakt 4. I probably have 3 or 4 different Kontakt library folders. Fuck if I know. Then I bought several plugs individually and then got Komplete which also installed the same plugs but with the new (at the time) folder structure. So I don’t know where the fuck half the shit is and which is the valid file/path.

I’m sure there’s big money to be made cleaning out the NI mess on people's drive if they've been installing their software for more than a couple years. :x

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:09 am

Oh man beats don't even go there! :x If there's anything that sucks complete ass about plug in developers is the lack of any coherence at all on OSX with where presets go, where they store anything really. I'm no kidding I've got folders in almost every part of OSX from some developers grand idea as to where things go.., no order to it at all! :x