All times are UTC

Post subject: sqwertpad - Launchpad software
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:07 pm 

I made a little python app for the Launchpad over christmas but haven't had time to touch it for the last couple months. It intercepts midi messages from the launchpad and acts as a middleman to add a bunch of functionality (similar to automap as far I understand). I'm not really sure what's out there in terms of launchpad software, but I'm just starting to revisit this again now and am wondering if there is interest enough to release it or open source it.

(this is currently windows only btw as it uses virtualMIDI for the virtual midi device. it could potentially be ported easy enough though)

Features:
    * Configurable MIDI messages
      -CC/Note, channel 1-16, momentary/toggle for buttons in the 8x8 grid
    * Configurable Pages
      -Row selector buttons cycle through 4 pages per row (though this number could be configurable). Each page stores it's own config and is a different color - green/red/yellow/orange (see attached screenshot)
    * Key/mode selectors and transpose buttons for each row
    * Virtual MIDI device
      -Uses a virtual midi driver to create a new midi device. Attached a screenshot of ableton midi config.
    * Tracks
      - Works like a looper, not a step sequencer
      - 7 of the 8 top control buttons are tracks and the 8th is a shift function used for overdub. Track lengths can be set in bars in the GUI
      - Each track can: play/stop/record/overdub/erase
      - Records any 8x8grid button press while recording.
      - Starting recording and playback is currently quantized to the bar, so pushing a track button will queue play or record (depending on whether the track is empty or not) to start on the next downbeat. Stop/overdub are instant and erase is push&hold.
      - Tracks automatically stop recording and loop based on the length you set in bars
      - Tempo controls the track playback speed. I only use it with ableton atm so it currently tempo syncs with ableton via OSC in a control surface script(could change this to manual for non-ableton use)
      - Color coded: off for empty, green for playing, yellow for stopped, red for recording, orange for overdubbing. Light pulses when the track loops.
      - With track master mode you press the track button to start recording, then again to start it looping. The tempo will be calculated and ableton's tempo is updated via OSC and the loop starts (this is to emulate looper functionality while still using ableton effectively)
    * 8x8 grid button lighting:
      - each button row will take the color of the page it is on and the color of a button will intensify when it is active (midi note down or cc value > 0)
      - cc note buttons respond to midi input to the application, meaning automation/status changes within other software will show on the launchpad for mapped buttons (e.g. a clip playing in ableton, or a filter being on/off)
      - button lighting also responds to track playback, so you can see what each track is playing.
    * Presets
      - Saving/loading of presets
      - All recorded tracks and page/button configuration are preseved in the save files

The idea behind was to be able to use the launchpad more like an instrument than a DJing tool. You can quickly set up multiple synths/samplers/drumkits/effects/clips/whatever as you like and switch between them with the per-row configuration and page system. You can essentially bind buttons to anything in ableton using either midi CC through the ableton bind interface or picking up midi notes in tracks. The looper gives you 7 tracks to layer on top of each other, meaning you can pretty much compose tracks on the fly using whatever you set up in ableton.

needs a video to explain it better but hopefully you get the idea.... :/

There's a ton of features I still want to implement, and there's a few bugs to fix or a big refactor to do before I'd release/open source it but am happy to do so if there's interest.

Post subject: Re: sqwertpad - Launchpad software
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:44 pm 

neat...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:52 am 

Nice... I'd fork that...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:09 am 

Sounds awesome I would use it for sure!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:36 am 

very big interest (but will depend on price of course)
there is midi katapult app on the market but it does not work when your device is named not launchpad but 4-launchpad , for example (this happens on my windows 7).
so if you manage to allow selection of launchpad port this will be very cool.

https://soundcloud.com/marat-bakirov

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:42 am 

nice one !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:29 am 

Okay cool thanks for the interest. Just a small update:

I've finished a fairly big code refactor but still have quite a few bugs to squish before releasing it. I won't be around for the next month as I'm leaving the country next week, but will get back on this as soon as I get back. ETA for a release maybe around 2 months from now, so check back then.

mbakirov wrote:
very big interest (but will depend on price of course)

The release will be freeware or open source, so no cost.

mbakirov wrote:
there is midi katapult app on the market but it does not work when your device is named not launchpad but 4-launchpad , for example (this happens on my windows 7).
so if you manage to allow selection of launchpad port this will be very cool.

Currently it just uses the first midi device it finds with "launchpad" in the name, so it will work for your setup. This could also be extended to allow the user to select their device so that multiple launchpads could be used with 1 instance of the application for each.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:02 pm 

Cool!
P.S. What I am personally intersted is to make a "virtual faders" - when you move over the row or column and it changes cc (like standard volume mixer). If I could select cc's then I could use it for drawbars (I like playing virtual hammond organ software).

midikatapult has faders but foes not allow me to choose my cc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:54 pm 

mbakirov wrote:
Cool!
P.S. What I am personally intersted is to make a "virtual faders" - when you move over the row or column and it changes cc (like standard volume mixer). If I could select cc's then I could use it for drawbars (I like playing virtual hammond organ software).

midikatapult has faders but foes not allow me to choose my cc.

This would be reasonably simple but the only way I can see this working alongside the current functionality is adding a "fader mode" option for rows. I guess you could always turn it 90 degrees to turn the rows into columns...

This change would be quite low priority though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:02 pm 

yes, I understand the priorities and also why it is easier to have it by rows.

But you can have 8 faders in rows and 9 in columns (the right buttons are also notes in mode 1, if I am not mistaken).

but first you need to finish the core, of course.
good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:56 pm 

I would definitely use this!