Push LED color variation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarpinian

Push LED color variation

Post by Tarpinian » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:21 pm

I have noticed some color variation between some of the pads. For instance when in note mode, some of the pads do not go completely white, some lean red or yellowish etc... slightly, to varying degrees. The only other color I really notice this on is yellow in the drum rack mode, some are darker yellow.

Not a big deal at all since they are slight variations, but wondered if anyone was seeing the same issue. My guess is the RGB led's are just not all going to be perfect, or maybe there is a calibration feature?

chapelier fou

Re: Push LED color variation

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:41 pm

i don't own push but given my experience with leds, it doesn't surprise me that much. i guess you'll have to deal with it.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:48 am

LEDs are like lasers, they work on the same principle and both only put out one frequency of light, called coherent light. every LED has a different turn on voltage. you put a series resistor on them to set the current, more current means brighter. all the series resistors are gonna be the same (they could be tuned but that would add cost to the Push) but the turn on voltages will be slightly different, therefore they'll be different brightness levels. that might be perceived as different colors but each red LED puts out the SAME red, same for the other colors. a tri color LED is 3 LEDs in one package. white LEDs are an arbitrary color with a phosphor coating or something of the like that glows when exposed to some color.

you could open Push and use an ammeter and potentiometer to tune the current for every LED, many hours of work.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Jim Hovelin

Post by Jim Hovelin » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:54 pm

Well, I have a pad in note mode that's so pink it looks like it's telling me something. It bothered me at first, but now I'm used to it and the various shades of pink with the blue roots are kind of pretty. At least it's good to know that I'm not alone. I have the same problem with my Launchpad. The APC40 pads are very consistent, but then they are always full on or off.

Jim