Volume - Getting the final mix loud - SOLVED

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
StooB1969

Volume - Getting the final mix loud - SOLVED

Post by StooB1969 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:33 am

When I mix out my track so that the levels don't peak and the volume lands on the 0.0db line, even though I use compressors and limiters, the volume is always less of other music I have on disk or on Soundcloud.

How do you get the volume louder without distortion? :(
Last edited by StooB1969 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian Myers

Re: Volume - Getting the final mix as loud as other music I hear

Post by Adrian Myers » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:55 am

You might find some useful information in Dan Worral's videos on Youtube. Here's one for the FabFilter Pro-L limiter, starting at the point where he begins showing some tweaks: http://youtu.be/d7PYjalQ2vQ?t=4m48s

He is extremely knowledgeable and has a very clear presentation style, so even though the FabFilter videos he's done are somewhat product-specific, most of the content will apply anywhere and may contain ideas you had not considered.

In general though, you're looking at simply using more extreme compression so that the limiter is preserving ever smaller dynamic range, which is the only way to get a higher average level.

I do feel a tiny bit compelled though to point out that the loudness war isn't the only way to live. Here's Deadmau5 explaining how much he hates overly compressed/limited music: http://youtu.be/zH_5Ug2iOLU?t=4m16s, and here's Dan Worral reminding us what mastering is actually supposed to accomplish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESVRCT28d5o

Cheers

StooB1969

Post by StooB1969 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:39 pm

Great! Thanks for the tips, I'll look at all the links and get knowledgable on this subject.

Great stuff :wink:

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:44 pm

Try throwing the built in audio effect rack preset called "full chain master" on your master track

StooB1969

Post by StooB1969 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:15 pm

jbodango wrote:Try throwing the built in audio effect rack preset called "full chain master" on your master track
Oh man, that's it!!!! I got the expensive Waves mastering SSL plugins but they didn't do the job, I 'threw' this on like you said, and with the Ovrdrive Drive knob, bang(!!!) it did it! Full power and full volume. They should make this thread a sticky.

Great forum!!

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:58 pm

jbodango wrote:Try throwing the built in audio effect rack preset called "full chain master" on your master track
Wow, I feel dumb. I've played around with some of rack presets and they were quite cool/convenient actually, but I've never tried out the Full Chain Master. This is actually perfect and mirrors pretty much what I do anyway (but simplifies it and makes it a lot quicker). What a timesaver/nice thing to know.

Thanks dude for bringing this up, and thanks Ableton for having this!

ark

Re: Volume - Getting the final mix loud - SOLVED

Post by ark » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:26 pm

More generally, you might check out this: http://tarekith.com/assets/mastering.html

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:11 pm

Thanks Ark.

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:43 am

The aforementioned preset I mentioned is good for reference. Turn it on every once and a while during the process to get an estimate of what to expect... you're selling yourself and your art short by not getting your tracks mastered.

I can't emphasize enough how spot on Tarekith's articles are.