All times are UTC

Post subject: Simulating double time
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:13 pm 

Here's a good challenge I ran into. I have a mix, 32 tracks all nice, a slow song with programmed master tempo changes, the works.

Scarbee just released a kicking funk guitar library that I'd just love to add to this mix. The problem is, to fit well it should be playing double time (2x speed) and it doesn't seem to sport any double time toggle.

I was thinking maybe I can fake double tempo by redefining the Ableton tempo / beat from 50bpm and 4/4 to 100bpm 2/2 to drive Funk Guitarist, but this made my whole mix change to 2x speed too. Ooops... :mrgreen: Can anyone think of a functional workaround?

Post subject: Re: Simulating double time
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:49 am 

I discovered if I load Funk Guitarist in a standalone Komplete instead of the VST, I can drive the tempo independently from the Ableton main tempo, so I can get double speed. Even mouse click tempo control to follow all the Ableton ritardandi, accelerandi, etc. like a real living musician. (Why of course, what the heck am I, a dead one? :-)

I just need to find a way to pump this standalone Komplete's audio output into Ableton, then. Selecting ASIO4ALL Rewire for a track's input source in Ableton shows no signal, in spite that I hear plenty of strumming on the speakers.

Post subject: Re: Simulating double time
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:50 am 

I figured out how I can run virtual instruments at multiples or fractions of the Ableton tempo. In case anyone else needs to do this in the future, the solution on Windows 7 is to:

- Run the instrument as standalone (I checked this with Kontakt and Ueberschall Elastik)
- Set the tempo manually in the standalone instrument as desired
- Route the audio from the standalone to Live via "Virtual Audio Cable"
- If need (for Elastik, eg.) route MIDI from Live to standalone via "LoopBe1"

It woiks!