All times are UTC

Post subject: Final album arrangements / transitional mixdowns
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:29 pm 

Hey everyone.

I'll try my best to explain-
I finished recording my side of a split release I'm doing with a friend. I've always enjoyed the process of sewing the individual songs together to make a whole cohesive piece overall. This helps with transitions between songs as well as getting the levels to even up overall. Back in the day, I'd bounce all the songs from Reason and then take all the WAVs and bring them into Cool Edit Pro for some final tweaking + gluing.

For example, I might take the last bar of track one and loop it over the first 4 bars of the track two, as if I was doing a live mix.

What I'm wondering: my method for this the last few years has been starting a new Ableton project and just bring all the tracks into arrangement view and sequence them like that. Makes sense, right? Though am I missing something in regards to how this affects the sound? Maybe it's just me but I swear I notice a slight difference with how full the individuals sound compared to the "mixed together" versions. How to put it? The mixed ones just sound a little more flat, like you took a utility and dropped it a little. My first reaction was to use a utility to expand the stereo slightly but that just sounded worse.

I'm sure it's just my imagination, for I can't see how bouncing a bounced file once would affect it enough to notice. But maybe some of you have also thought about this?

Thx!

Post subject: Re: Final album arrangements / transitional mixdowns
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:29 am 

Anyone at all...?