All times are UTC

Post subject: 64 bit or not?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:56 am 

I only have 4 gig of ram on my i7 2012 Mac mini.I already have a 1TB fusion drive (SSD performance) for applications and a separate 1TB hard drive for audio files so the system is very nice and snappy. I am about to do a complete system rebuild with a fresh installation of all my software including Live 9 and Komplete 9 and a few Kontakt libraries like Alicia Keys etc.
Many crucial plug-ins I use apart from the above are not 64 bit and probably never will be.

I really could use your opinions on the question below,

1) If I use Jbridge is there a cpu hit ?
2) Are there any benefits of the 64 bit version of Live that can be realized by a 4 gig system?
3) Without more than 4 gig of ram should I even be bothered with 64 bit?
4) Should I upgrade my ram to 8 gig then go 64 bit with Jbridge?

Thanks in advance and kindest regards

Billy
:wink:

Last edited by phulon@live.co.uk on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 64 bit or not?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:09 am 

without more than 4 GB of physical RAM available, don't bother with 64 bit.

and if you don't regularly run into out of memory problems, then don't bother. if you do run of out memory, then yes get more RAM and go 64 bit, unless you have too many critical plugs that don't work well with jBridge.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:14 am 

Thanks for your input.

Billy

:wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:22 am 

phulon@live.co.uk wrote:
1) If I use Jbridge is there a cpu hit ?

No

Quote:
2) Are there any benefits of the 64 bit version of Live that can be realized by a 4 gig system?

No

Quote:
3) Without more than 4 gig of ram should I even be bothered with 64 bit?

No

Quote:
4) Should I upgrade my ram to 8 gig then go 64 bit with Jbridge?

This is what I did because I was having memory problems with Live 8. It has helped a ton, and I haven't had to play the Freeze/Unfreeze game since I upgraded. Loading time also seems to be shorter, but I'm pretty sure I'm just imagining that :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:19 pm 

As a software engineer, I'm of the opinion that it's 2013, and it's time bite the 64-bit bullet and upgrade.

The more of use that use this, the more any stability issues that exist will be fixed and we can just move forward into a happy 64-bit future where all plug-ins and supporting software is 64-bit as well.

That said, if it's a total PITA for you to use 64-bit and you can't get your work done, then obviously don't upgrade. The music is more important.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:50 pm 

I got significantly better performance for live processing (Guitar amp and effects VSTs) in 64bit Live when I still had an i5/4GB RAM system, especially at higher sample rates (96kHz). Something like 25% better, meaning setups I could run at 64bit couldn't be run in 32bit without choking. But if you're not having issues right now, why switch? Ableton for one recommends you stay with 32bit.

Other than that I'm with what Ryan0751 said. 32bit is over, and Live was probably the last demographically significant 32bit bastion to fall. Live is also the only DAW I've used that's been all prissy about 64bit. First it's "you don't need 64bit, it's just for tech snobs", now suddenly it's "you don't need a native bit-bridge, in a few years nobody will have 32bit anyway. But wait, when in doubt, use our old 32bit executable."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:01 pm 

wasoota wrote:
I got significantly better performance for live processing (Guitar amp and effects VSTs) in 64bit Live when I still had an i5/4GB RAM system, especially at higher sample rates (96kHz). Something like 25% better, meaning setups I could run at 64bit couldn't be run in 32bit without choking. But if you're not having issues right now, why switch? Ableton for one recommends you stay with 32bit.

Other than that I'm with what Ryan0751 said. 32bit is over, and Live was probably the last demographically significant 32bit bastion to fall. Live is also the only DAW I've used that's been all prissy about 64bit. First it's "you don't need 64bit, it's just for tech snobs", now suddenly it's "you don't need a native bit-bridge, in a few years nobody will have 32bit anyway. But wait, when in doubt, use our old 32bit executable."

That's probably because with the release of Live 9, and Push, they didn't have enough engineering resources to properly test their 64-bit version.

Therefore they are trying to mitigate risk and defect count :)

This kind of thing is done all the time. Software is an inherently complex beast, particularly something like Live. The amount of code must be insane, and it's a fairly small team.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:14 pm 

I had Live 8 32 bit with 8gb of memory, I constantly had memory crashes,,, then I got Live 9 64 bit and got some quality ddr rip jaw 16 gb, I have an i5 core. 32 ghz, now it uses the cores and the memory and Live runs fantastic now.. very nice.. very smooth and I have over 70 tracks in a set now without it slowing down or buffer...

But if you have 4gb, 64 bit wont be of any help.. upgrade your memory first then get 64 bit.. you need at least 8 -16 gb.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:54 pm 

And there is of course a CPU hit with jBridge, it just won't show up in Live's CPU meter, because it's an external process (like running your browser won't show up either). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It's also recommended by jBridge's developer that you raise the buffer size on your interface to make sure jBridged plugins run smoothly. So again, there's obviously a significant performance hit, in my experience beyond what you get if you run the plugin natively (setups that ran fine 32bit-natively needed the buffer raised when the same plugin was jBridged in 64bit. The problem is that when the bit bridge is not native, there's hardly any way to keep an eye on it, unless you check the system performance monitors.