frequency splitting?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MajikDragon89

frequency splitting?

Post by MajikDragon89 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:30 pm

hello everybody. for the past year or so i've been trying to get into producing neurofunk bass lines these sorts of sounds require lots of frequency splitting and i can't make do with just the three bands you can produce through the multiband compressor. i need more! :twisted: i don't know if there's an alternative way of doing this, but i'm resampling my bass and adding unison of differing detune amounts across the spectrum to give it that complex beating effect. would be nice if ableton also had a detune vst simply detuning samples from one another in simpler is quite fiddly. any help would be much appreciated :D

rap masta rj

Re: frequency splitting?

Post by rap masta rj » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:47 pm

I would say the best way to do this is to create an instrument rack for it and make as many chains as you want for each frequency you would like to isolate. then in each chain isolate the frequency using auto filter with making sure that the frequencies overlap as little as possible (they will overlap a little because of the roll off of the filter).

Adrian Myers

Post by Adrian Myers » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:58 pm

I agree with Rap Masta. You can slice down to as many frequency ranges as you have the patience for with proper filtering.

You can also use a rack-driven approach based around many instances of the multi-band dynamics plugin as shown here: http://surroundsoundrecordings.co.uk/20 ... -live-539/

I know that a lot of dnb bassline work is done as audio editing, but it is possible to do a lot of this work on the synth side too. Alchemy offers probably the widest range of options you're going to find in a single synth for this sort of complex rhythmic build within the patch, given how many routing opportunities there are and how slick the envs/lfos/stepsequencers are.

LuSH-101, although not as deep as Alchemy and not offering additive or graunlar synthesis options, does have 8 layers per patch, which allows for quite a lot of fine control if you want to do manual unison and splitting within the synth.

Izotope Iris (http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/iris/) has probably the strongest focus on spectral control itself at the moment, and if you're really finding that three bands under say 400hz isn't enough, you may want to look into dedicated spectral software like that.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:03 am

you can make a custom frequency splitter rack fairly easily, using nested pairs of chains for each frequency band, one chain containing an eq8 identifying the frequency bands you want on that pair of chains, and and a phased utility plugin + eq on the other chain, to remove the unwanted frequencies from each nested pair. Hope that helps....

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:43 am

thats the effectively the same as ive described using the eq8 and phased utility chains. It would be interesting to the compare the two approaches in terms of cpu load...

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:40 am

ShelLuser wrote:When I pressed submit I did notice others had posted as well, but couldn't really be bothered with read before posting, esp. considering the time I took (not that much, but still...).
ha, me too mate ;D it wasnt a criticism, just pleased to see another way of accomplishing the effect!

but im not sure exactly how the mulitband plugin handles crossovers, there may be some cancellation issues with that approach...

tintala

Post by tintala » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:23 pm

ill Gates has a native frequency splitter in one of his packs on his workshop page.. its amazing.. I cannot remember which one it came form though.. you mite have to buy the studio template....

http://illgates.com/music-tools/

check this out!
http://www.eskamon.com/

MajikDragon89

Post by MajikDragon89 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:07 am

lots of ideas here. thanks to all for the help! :D

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:26 pm

Came late to the table... I was doing this the ShelLuser way couple of weeks ago with a 4 band approach to isolate a noisy feedback in a live take situation of my band on stage and clean/boost the recording a little bit. That worked. However ShelLuser 14 Band wow! I have to try it. Just to share my experience I duplicated the track with the under 250 Khz cut and the bass and kick drum came to life. So it seems an unexplainable (for me at least) adding or summing of audio frequencies happened.. but there's still a lot to do..

Best
Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

JamesFB

Post by JamesFB » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:34 pm

Just use a linear phase multiband... send your signal to as many tracks as you want it split, grouped... create mirror copies of the multiband on each sent track, soloing on each channel the specific band wanted... and control the frequency splits of each channel simultaneously through the same relative control on your midi setup...

I use Fabfilter Pro-MB. It's changed the way I mix forever. No more need for an EQ and filter as the frequency split in the multiband acts both ways... and because Pro-MB can sidechain, I also have cross-track sidechaining abilities for each band independently, not to mention I can send each band specifically to my effects sends to whatever degree I want...

It's the best way I've found... forget about all these strung-together plugins using the phase cancellation trick on the Utility. It becomes way too cumbersome after a single split, and... simply doesn't work cleanly.

A linear phase multiband does -- that's what it's designed for. Unfortunately, the stock Ableton multiband is not linear phase -- it sucks, colours the sound to a ridiculous degree...

PremEye

Post by PremEye » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:22 pm

JamesFB wrote:Just use a linear phase multiband... send your signal to as many tracks as you want it split, grouped... create mirror copies of the multiband on each sent track, soloing on each channel the specific band wanted... and control the frequency splits of each channel simultaneously through the same relative control on your midi setup...

I use Fabfilter Pro-MB. It's changed the way I mix forever. No more need for an EQ and filter as the frequency split in the multiband acts both ways... and because Pro-MB can sidechain, I also have cross-track sidechaining abilities for each band independently, not to mention I can send each band specifically to my effects sends to whatever ...
Hello
In Pro MB, how do you send each band to your effect sends?
Thanks,
Prem