Yes, I use it all the time. 38%  38%  [ 20 ]
Yes, but occasional use. 42%  42%  [ 22 ]
What is this Glue thing? 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
No, I have better external plugins. 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
No, no bus compression for me AT ALL. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I'm still on Live 8? 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Dude, I don't even use Live, AT ALL! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 52
 Post subject: Re: Have you been "Glue'ing" your sets already?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:48 am 

nøgen jack wrote:
I'm very new to live but am a very interested learner. What exactly is glueing and what can it be used for?

Glueing is not an official term but something I made up to reflect on using the new "Glue compressor", a device which is new in Live 9.

Although Live knows several forms of compression (using the Compressor device, or even the Multiband dynamics) Glue stands out a bit because it was developed to be a bus compressor. So basically; it was designed to be applied to your entire mix, not just merely a subset (like one track or one instrument or so).

And although the same effects should (easily?) be possible by using Live's own compressor, I got the impression that Glue really does treat material quite different than the previous compressor effects.

So "Glueing" basically means to apply bus compression by using the Glue compressor on your Live set ;-)

And to dive a little bit deeper into this (not too much since a lot of it also depends on personal taste & impression).

Generally speaking bus compression differs from 'regular' compression, not only because you apply compression to a whole "group" but also because the approach somewhat differs. In general you basically reduce the entire dynamic spectrum / range of your (entire) mix whereas a common way of compression could be to specifically enhance or reduce a certain range (the well known side-chain compression for example; making sure that one channel doesn't interfere (too much) with another).

And even if you apply compressors in your mix you could still benefit from applying bus compression (though, here we go, also is a matter of debate. some do this, others don't).

I hope this gave you some impressions / ideas with what I meant up there ;-)

Peter

Using the Big Trio: Live 9 Suite, Max (for Live) and Reason 6.5.
Blog: SynthFan.info.