Controlling arp with real time melodic input

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SGuttman

Controlling arp with real time melodic input

Post by SGuttman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:33 am

For live performance, I'm trying to create a setup whereby I use a mono melody track to run thru the scale and chord midi effects into an arp (either the midi effect or an arp preset in a vst). Is there any way, within Live or using a Max plugin, to isolate, e.g. the first note of a bar to generate the chord and hold it throughout the bar, ignoring the subsequent notes, which otherwise keep re-triggering the arp? This way I only have to make sure that the first note of the bar is the root note of the chord I want held for the remainder of the bar, Any ideas, or a way to do something similar?

SpeedKing

Re: Controlling arp with real time melodic input

Post by SpeedKing » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:25 pm

Well, the workaround would of course be to create a second track with what you want held, while the other track contains the other notes. But I realize that you're not asking for a workaround, but a way to do this in one track, which is a good question. I don't know of any M4L device that does this, but I'd bet it's possible for someone who is good with the programming.

Yeah, interesting question. I hope someone has more to offer than I do! :)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:41 pm

SGuttman wrote:For live performance, I'm trying to create a setup whereby I use a mono melody track to run thru the scale and chord midi effects into an arp (either the midi effect or an arp preset in a vst). Is there any way, within Live or using a Max plugin, to isolate, e.g. the first note of a bar to generate the chord and hold it throughout the bar, ignoring the subsequent notes, which otherwise keep re-triggering the arp? This way I only have to make sure that the first note of the bar is the root note of the chord I want held for the remainder of the bar, Any ideas, or a way to do something similar?
Isolate it by velocity perhaps. Make sure the sustained note is at a fixed velocity and that the other notes can't hit that velocity. All doable with Rack Layers, Chord and Velocity plugins. Then filter the velocities with a MIDI Rack. Probably easiest to set the first note at Velocity 1 and crank it up after its filtered.

If you actually require velocity expression on that first note, maybe MFL might be better suited.
Though I'm not excluding that a more elaborate MIDI Effect Rack might do the trick.

SGuttman

Post by SGuttman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:58 pm

What makes it tricky is the melody is being generated by an audio-to-midi plug in from voice or an acoustic instrument (violin in my case). That makes it harder to get a consistent velocity. I'd still like to try to isolate it on the basis of note position in the bar. M4L should be capable of that. Ill have to post in that forum.