All times are UTC

Post subject: imogen heap on gesture control
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:42 pm 

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-10/29/imogen-heap

this is the way to go mouseless, I think...

live 9.1.2, OS mavericks, push, stray's script, MPD32/LD8, stc, access virus kc, and my life is a never ending tub of awesome

Post subject: Re: imogen heap on gesture control
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:06 pm 

Cool, if a bit early 80s science fiction. A future of performance that is a mix of music and dance. I think it would work best for voclists, where the tonal material can be sang. I'd hate to play a kinnect air keyboard.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:46 pm 

Amazing work.

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:44 pm 

No personal offence or disrespect, just my subjective opinion. I thought that this would be the big thing when it stated some years ago, but today I'm really underwhelmed and sometimes even annoyed by all this gesture controlled live electronic music. Personally I think it's only good to impress a technically uneducated audience. It more a show than musically meaningful. Again, nothing against persons who like it, or do it, but I can't see how this is musically interesting or impressive when you know some basics about music technology. And I can't hear stutter FX anymore!

But I guess that's just me. I'm more a jazz/techno/music purist than a rock show lover.

Last edited by mr.ergonomics on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:51 pm 

mr.ergonomics wrote:
No personal offence or disrespect, just my subjective opinion. I thought that this would be the big thing when it stated some years ago, but today I'm really underwhelmed and sometimes even annoyed by all this gesture controlled live electronic music. Personally I think it's only good to impress a technically uneducated audience. It more a show than musically meaningful. Again, nothing against persons who like it, or do it, but I can't see how this is musically interesting or impressive when you know some basics about music technology. And I can't hear stutter FX anymore!

People already make music without knowing how to actually play any instruments so why not take it a step further and make music without even touching anything at all? :x

What other artform praises doing the least amount of work possible? :x

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:57 pm 

I feel like this is all going the opposite way of how I envision the beauty of its potential.

Instead of making musicians have to dance to make sounds, dancers should have interactive environments for creating listenable music on the fly!

Most dancers just dance to some music that is already playing. Adaptable music would demonstrate the tightness of their dancing rhythm and perhaps other factors of expression would also be put into the equation.

I picture a large stage with multiple kinects and a light up touch floor. And maybe some snazzy sensors on their bodies haha.

Along the same lines, I've imagined DDR doing the opposite also. Instead of dancing To music, dance to create music (though I have to say, DDR pads are not as neat as you think as musical input devices........)

But yeah. I'd love to see a competition of dance moves creating music. Kind of like MPC competitions :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:05 pm 

"All I'm doing is pressing a button, but if I wave my arm like THIS maybe people will think I'm actually doing something!"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:23 pm 

Yeah. it is form over content to an extent. Although like any controller the actual gestural space will open up ways of playing. However, even if it is just 100% superficial, that's fine. Live performance doesn't have to be some form of austere engagement with serious minded virtuoso musicians. It can be about boy bands or dancing troupes and all these forms of audio visual light entertainment will be wicked with these sort of sensor arrays. Cyberschlaeger!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:52 pm 

yur2die4 wrote:
Along the same lines, I've imagined DDR doing the opposite also. Instead of dancing To music, dance to create music (though I have to say, DDR pads are not as neat as you think as musical input devices........)

Well, as the older folks say here in Berlin: It wasn't all bad in the East 8O

(DDR= East Germany in German; and yeah sorry for the terrible pun, I just couldn't help myself :oops: )