All times are UTC

Post subject: Throwing Paint
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:29 pm 

I hate being in creative ruts:

http://tarekith.com/throwing-paint/

Post subject: Re: Throwing Paint
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:48 pm 

Last edited by locknar on Wed May 01, 2013 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:55 pm 

Do both?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:58 pm 

Last edited by locknar on Wed May 01, 2013 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:14 am 

Nice article, good advice. I like the painting too!

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:54 am 

Good one Tarekith. :) Some good ideas in there. I would equate throwing paint musically to hitting record and jamming out on some random notes, not even trying to make anything, just being random (pretending to be an avant-garde pianist when your really not). Its surprising what even some of the most uninspired jam sessions can produce when you do that! But you have to listen to the recording attentively. Thanks for the sharing :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:40 am 

Great advice!

The only thing I would add, and you kind of touched on it a little is to change focus.
What I mean is if I'm feeling restless and not capable of siting down to write a 'song', I write a patch or ten for a few synths,
make a few new sample sets, or learn a synth I bought that I never got around to digging into.

One reason I like making my own patches is because it's a good push into the creative process. I hear the rest of the song in the patch at times. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:16 am 

Excellent article.

I read this quote from Roseanne Cash somewhere not long ago, 'you've got to show the muse you're serious'. Meaning that you don't sit around waiting for inpiration. You start working, sometimes almost picking any direction, and something will come to you. Eventually.

live 9.1.2, OS mavericks, push, stray's script, MPD32/LD8, stc, access virus kc, and my life is a never ending tub of awesome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:54 pm 

Cheers, I'm going to take that advice literally and actually make a new painting. I not done one for years. Inspirer.
8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:57 pm 

I don't paint nearly as much as I used to either :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:06 pm 

tkarmakid wrote:
Good one Tarekith. :) Some good ideas in there. I would equate throwing paint musically to hitting record and jamming out on some random notes, not even trying to make anything, just being random (pretending to be an avant-garde pianist when your really not). Its surprising what even some of the most uninspired jam sessions can produce when you do that! But you have to listen to the recording attentively. Thanks for the sharing :)

Usually I compose my music in 2 to 8 bar loops. But recently after coming up with a basic structure I just hit record and jam a new part over it for as long as I feel like it without expecting perfection. There are usually some gems in there that I then convert to 2 to 8 bar loops. I’ve found that kind of moves things along faster and I probably wouldn’t have come up with those parts if I focused on coming up with the perfect part before recording.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:54 am 

beats me wrote:

after coming up with a basic structure I just hit record and jam a new part over it for as long as I feel like it without expecting perfection. There are usually some gems in there that I then convert to 2 to 8 bar loops. I’ve found that kind of moves things along faster and I probably wouldn’t have come up with those parts if I focused on coming up with the perfect part before recording.

I am happy to hear you say that because this is what I do too. My writing process kind evolved into this method. My method used to be play first, then record. I would sit down and jam over a beat and keep on jamming until I felt that I had something "worth" recording and then I would record it. My playing wasn't too great so usually I would have to edit the recordings by cutting and splicing bits until I had what I had set out to record in the first place. I started noticing that there would be little unintentional bits getting in my recordings that sounded good. Happy accidents, right. Well I found that some these bits were usually were a lot more interesting than the melodies I was making a conscious effort to create. A lot of the times I wasn't even inspired and there were plenty of sessions when I couldn't even come up with anything to record at all. So, I decided one day to just hit record and play whatever I felt like and much to my surprise there was something good in the recording. Discovering this method was like a eureka moment. Since transitioning to this method of record first, then play; even when I am somewhat uninspired there is still stuff there. Coming up with material is almost effortless. Almost being that it is a quite a bit of work listening to a whole 500+ measure recording and cropping out all the interesting patterns. I save everything though, if it sounds like a pattern, I save it. If I end up making 35 patterns not all of them are going to be awesome, some are garbage, but there would be at least a few gems; diamonds in the rough. Those make the effort worth it. Sometimes the patterns I'm not even that crazy about come around to be some of my favorite ones after a few listens. If the muse doesn't want to come out to play, that's ok. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:23 am 

Excellent advice - especially the above post. Great workflow tip!

I recently saw a mini profile/tutorial on an artist who said that after many years of composing only recently implemented the above approach, and was eulogising the extent to which it changed his whole writing style. I wish I could remember who it was.

I'm going to take these tips to heart - cause, like you, I would previously typically set a short measure (2,4,8 bars) jam, and THEN record. And as you say - you ALWAYS lose the happy accidents when you record!!!

It's not like we are going to run out of tape!!! Jam out and record everything and then cherry pick the best pieces! :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:34 pm 

Anyone else?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:21 am 

tkarmakid wrote:
Almost being that it is a quite a bit of work listening to a whole 500+ measure recording and cropping out all the interesting patterns.

Learn the key command for "insert marker" in your DAW of choice. Then while you're playing, after you come up with something you know you want to keep, it's easy enough to mark the end of it so you can find it later to trim it out. Doesn't interupt your playing really either, saves tons of time listening to the bad stuff trying to find the good stuff.