Looking to upgrade. Live 9 Suite or splurge on Komplete 9?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

UPGRADE: From Live 9 Standard using PUSH.

Poll ended at Fri May 03, 2013 5:04 pm

Live 9 Suite with MAX for Live ($300)
43%
Komplete 9 ($559)
57%

Total votes: 21

lemoncrsh

Looking to upgrade. Live 9 Suite or splurge on Komplete 9?

Post by lemoncrsh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:04 pm

I'm new to the world of Ableton and purchased a PUSH with Live 9 Standard. The problem is I can't find the sounds I'm looking for in Standard. For $300 I can upgrade to Suite with MAX for Live or I can splurge on Komplete 9 which seems to have a dynamic library to play with at $559. PUSH is the only controller I have (no keys). I'm mainly interested in producing chill house and eventually EDM.

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks a lot.

ShelLuser

Re: Looking to upgrade. Live 9 Suite or splurge on Komplete 9?

Post by ShelLuser » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:54 pm

Considering the 'new' factor I'd stick to Suite for now and expand on it when you got a good feel for how all this stuff works.

Thing is; Komplete is very good, I use bits and pieces of it myself, but it can also become heavily overwhelming. Especially if there are still many aspects of digital audio which will elude you (assumption on my part mind you).

Once you got a solid basic understanding and feel how this stuff works you could always consider expanding on your setup. That could be using Komplete, parts of it or maybe even in completely other directions.

My main "gripe" with Komplete as a starting point is that its not really one single product, but a combination of dozens of different products bundled together. And a product such as Kontakt can be just as heavy and overwhelming as a single synthesizer such as Absynth 5.

Of course; the same argument can be applied to Suite, sort of. Both Operator & Sampler (to name two) can also go pretty deep. But, and that's the main difference, both of those devices sit within the same (Live) workflow, and that can't really be said about all the different devices in Komplete.

However, and that's the most important part, whether this would really make a difference or not heavily depends on you. Whatever you decide on keep well in mind that within this wonderful world there are no rights and wrongs, in the end its the results which matter.

Hope this can give you an idea or two.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the Big Trio: Live 10 Suite + Push, Max8 / M4l and Reason 10
Blog: SynthFan

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:12 pm

you don't need much outside Live suite...
Komplete + Live standard is also a great combination...
it's a draw... :evil:

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:37 pm

If you're just after sounds, Komplete is going to deliver more than Suite will (at 2x the price)

You buy Suite primarily for Max4Live.

The extra instruments you get in Suite are OK, but what you get in Komplete goes way beyond if you'e looking for "release ready" presets by the thousands (literally).

If you despise presets like some people and will roll all your sounds yourself, then it's more of a level playing field although Komplete still has more instruments to mess with.

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:56 am

komplete 9 is an endless universe of sounds
reaktor alone is far beyond anything in lives effects

login

Post by login » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:52 am

Komplete is more content, but suite also can get you pretty far. In either case the best way to get the sounds you want is to learn to program synths if it's that kind of sounds you are after.

kevwestbeats

Post by kevwestbeats » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:02 am

I personally dislike the small windows that the Live devices offer. That for me is enough to say go Komplete. I have 9 and really like it
http://www.KevWestBeats.com
http://www.YouTube.com/DjKevWest
http://www.Facebook.com/KevWestbeats
http://www.Twitter.com/KevWestBeats

Live 9, Komplete 9, Maschine MK2, IK Total Studio, XLN Audio Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums, All of FXpansion's fx.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:28 am

Repeating a bit what people have said already, but adding my bias.

Komplete will eventually break some old song of yours unless you're a careful archiver and very neat with your computers.
Some upgrade to a new computer or some upgrade to Komplete will confuse some old song of yours. Not saying this is going to happen, just that it's vastly more likely to happen with Komplete than Suite.
Suite doesn't offer half the content of Komplete. Komplete is huge. Most Suite instruments come with a tiny amount of presets and patches, Most Komplete instruments come with a couple hundred.

If you like programming your own sounds and have a love of either more organic sounds or more glitchy things then Suite has a lot to offer. If you think you would like to take Live and modify it to fit your workflow, Suite with Max for Live is the way to go. Since you bought Push, Suite is going to integrate a lot more quickly and simply than Komplete. With that in mind I would say get Suite, and wait for a Summer sale on Komplete if you still are intrigued by Komplete.

CFM

Post by CFM » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:33 pm

I have suite and never used a lot of it - maybe to my decrement.

I have NI Kontakt, battery, FM8 and not sure I'd need much more.

Suite gives you m4l and if you think you can spend a bit of time learning msp then this opens up a lot more possibilities than komplete. Remember, you will need to spend time with m4l to get the best out of it whereas komplete will give you more instant results.

Up to you which way u go!

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:47 pm

CFM wrote:I have suite and never used a lot of it - maybe to my decrement.

Suite gives you m4l and if you think you can spend a bit of time learning msp then this opens up a lot more possibilities than komplete. Remember, you will need to spend time with m4l to get the best out of it whereas komplete will give you more instant results.

Don’t forget Reaktor in Komplete that you can program your own devices as well as have access to the huge user database of free devices. Massive is also very popular. And Absynth a little less so.

Also don’t know if this has been mentioned but Komplete plug-ins you can use in any DAW. You can’t use anything in Suite in another DAW. Many of us use more than one DAW.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Wait for both of them to go on sale and then buy both of them.

kevwestbeats

Post by kevwestbeats » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:16 pm

beats me wrote:
CFM wrote:I have suite and never used a lot of it - maybe to my decrement.

Don’t forget Reaktor in Komplete that you can program your own devices as well as have access to the huge user database of free devices. Massive is also very popular. And Absynth a little less so.

Also don’t know if this has been mentioned but Komplete plug-ins you can use in any DAW. You can’t use anything in Suite in another DAW. Many of us use more than one DAW.
It should be added that most of the Suite instruments are available as vsts from Applied Aooustic Systems. Electric = Lounge Lizard for example.
http://www.KevWestBeats.com
http://www.YouTube.com/DjKevWest
http://www.Facebook.com/KevWestbeats
http://www.Twitter.com/KevWestBeats

Live 9, Komplete 9, Maschine MK2, IK Total Studio, XLN Audio Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums, All of FXpansion's fx.

lemoncrsh

Post by lemoncrsh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:56 pm

Wow. Thank you all for the insight. I may take your suggestions and start with suite and upgrade to Komplete later.

Have a great day everyone

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:10 am

lemoncrsh wrote:Wow. Thank you all for the insight. I may take your suggestions and start with suite and upgrade to Komplete later.

Have a great day everyone
lemoncrsh wrote:I'm mainly interested in producing chill house and eventually EDM.
Well I guess you've already made your decision. I was going to say if you're interested in producing the above Komplete will fit the sounds much better with synths such as Massive. The extra cost is worth it, plus the presets are much better on Komplete than Suite.

This does not make Komplete a better product. I personally like to work with everything just in Live and found the creative uses Suite + M4L indispensable. I don't like using presets and prefer the flexibility and creativity from Live's Instrument Racks and M4L.