All times are UTC

Post subject: Good, not huge, foot controller for triggering
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:06 pm 

What we want is pretty simple. We have a simple, drone-ish, not really rhythm-based track for most of our songs at one point or another that we'd like to be able to trigger each one at the time that we wish. We just have certain parts that we like to make a bit bigger so it's kind of time sensitive on when they start and stop.

So anyway, our bassist has said that he'd like to really just have a start/stop button for each sample. We're admittedly not that well versed when it comes to the programming aspect. We sculpted and found the sounds that we like and all that and would just like to have a button for each sound. 8ish inputs would be cool so we don't have to mess with multiple project files, but I'm open to suggestions otherwise.

We really don't need anything fancy. A way to fade out would be cool but we can do that with a volume pedal if we need to.

Everything I see on the matter usually involves much more complicated use involving expression pedals and guitars and stuff, so I figured I'd ask for something with far less requirements.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Good, not huge, foot controller for triggering
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:29 pm 

Keith McMillen has softstep and 12step. One of those might set you for life when it comes to pedalboard options.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:46 pm 

Looks pretty cool. A bit more than i was wanting to spend, but I guess I should have mentioned a price range. Less than $175 would be very much preferred.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:54 pm 

the only foot controller i have experience with is the one i use, which is an fcb 1010 with a maxforlive patch. i bought it a year or so ago and found it a bewildering nightmare at first until i got a friend on board to help me with the maxforlive patch. now i can use the pedal to navigate, trigger clips, record, stop, start, delete, all that stuff. the pedals can adjust volume on tracks and are used for sends too.

if other people know about other pedal controllers then obviously take that info on board as im no expert but this is what works well for me at the moment. i picked the pedal up on ebay for about 80 quid

cheers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:31 pm 

I'd still suggest the softstep :P. it looks flimsy, but I've heard it is quite sturdy.

Otherwise, the only other one offhand I can think of is the line 6 shortboard. I forget which model, there are a few. But with a softstep or 12step, you will have all the features you might ever end up wanting in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:29 am 

Icon G-board.

Thats one of the most simple ones and cheapest around for sure. I got two of them (makes 16 buttons) for recording and launching clips while playing guitar.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:50 am 

I use an M-Audio footswitch to trigger Looper :D

very sturdy,and low cost and takes up no room at all

Plugged into the back of my Korg Padkontrol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:51 am 

UMI-3

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:06 am 

I use a glorified qwerty keyboard in key map mode.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:31 am 

I use a softstep and it's brilliant. Is it expensive? Yes. But it's worth it. At one time they had an education discount too. Plus even though it does look flimsy (I agree) it's definitely not and is nicely backlit on all the pads.