Thoughts on Push by those who have it now?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
SuburbanThug
Posts: 1479
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:22 am
Contact:

Re: Thoughts on Push by those who have it now?

Post by SuburbanThug » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:20 pm

This is a thread about Push... Please stop posting your Maschine advertising in thread after thread.
This seems to be a recurring theme around here! It's quite annoying to think someone's actually made some kind of meaningful response to one of your posts only to find that it's just some sales guy
p u s h i n g Maschine! I wonder if there are Ableton shills trolling the Native Instruments forum like this. Pretty soon these corporations will have their own assassins, William Gibson/Neal Stephenson style.

BTW Push is awesome sauce.

blinkeye
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:28 pm

Re: Thoughts on Push by those who have it now?

Post by blinkeye » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:30 pm

deva wrote:
blinkeye wrote: I don't understand why they couldn't just have it all work out of the box with multiple levels of tags (even easily adding your own custom tags) like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys8bsWEWt0A

This is a thread about Push... Please stop posting your Maschine advertising in thread after thread.
Advertising? lol You needs to chillax bro. It was a serious comment about one of many flaws I and many others see in Push. Just because you invested your money in it doesn't mean you should play some kind of forum police and get all defensive whenever anyone says something critical about something you purchased or compares it to something you don't own.

deva
Posts: 1685
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:32 pm

Re: Thoughts on Push by those who have it now?

Post by deva » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:42 pm

blinkeye wrote:
deva wrote:
blinkeye wrote: I don't understand why they couldn't just have it all work out of the box with multiple levels of tags (even easily adding your own custom tags) like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys8bsWEWt0A

This is a thread about Push... Please stop posting your Maschine advertising in thread after thread.
Advertising? lol You needs to chillax bro. It was a serious comment about one of many flaws I and many others see in Push. Just because you invested your money in it doesn't mean you should play some kind of forum police and get all defensive whenever anyone says something critical or compares it to something you don't own.
I have not yet spent money on Push, have no vested interest in it being better or worse than any other piece of hardware and encourage anyone to have their own honest opinion/experience. If I had Push and thought Maschine suited me better I would sell the former and purchase the later.

You on the other hand, are not honest in intent, you spam the same exact post on multiple threads... You are constantly advertising Maschine. I wish there were forum police who would delete your advertising.

panten
Posts: 876
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:02 pm
Location: South of London

Re: Thoughts on Push by those who have it now?

Post by panten » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:43 pm

onestep wrote:
ObtuseMoose wrote:- Playing sustained notes on the pads in note mode is a little harder than I expected. Despite adjusting the sensitivity and the response curve, I seem to have to keep some pressure on a pad to keep the note sounding, but too much pressure activates the aftertouch. Since there's no movement to the pads, it's hard to find the pressure that will keep the note on, but not start sending aftertouch. It's more fatiguing than playing my usual keyboard. I suppose that's just something I'll have to get used to.
Hmm.. That's not a good sign because that's actually been the case for all Akai pads because they're not sensitive and responsive enough due to the way they're designed with a gap between the sensor and the pads. Whenever I tried to play sustained notes on MPCs and MPDs, they would get cut off too easily, making them only useful for percussive style triggering. It's night and day when comparing to more sensitive pads like on Maschine or padkontrol which don't have that issue at all.
I've had NO problems with this at all. I love playing instruments on Push it feels really natural and definitely not just for percussive patches.

As far as there being a gap between the pads and sensors I doubt it. You can adjust the sensitivity threshold so low that you can blow across the pads and they trigger. They feel solid but with a decent amount of elasticity that it's not like they're made of stone. I own the MPD32 which does have a gap and you can really feel the difference.

RE: Maschinist spam on this forum, it's out of control. They keep popping up in every thread regurgitating the same stuff time and again. Talk about an inferiority complex. Yes Push has it's gaps in workflow but then so does Machine etc. etc..

SuburbanThug
Posts: 1479
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:22 am
Contact:

Re: Thoughts on Push by those who have it now?

Post by SuburbanThug » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:46 pm

blinkeye wrote:
deva wrote:
blinkeye wrote: I don't understand why they couldn't just have it all work out of the box with multiple levels of tags (even easily adding your own custom tags) like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys8bsWEWt0A

This is a thread about Push... Please stop posting your Maschine advertising in thread after thread.
Advertising? lol You needs to chillax bro. It was a serious comment about one of many flaws I and many others see in Push. Just because you invested your money in it doesn't mean you should play some kind of forum police and get all defensive whenever anyone says something critical about something you purchased or compares it to something you don't own.
Have I been trolled again?!?! I thought this was the "Thoughts on Push by those who own it" thread, not another Rick Roll-style Maschine thread.

lo.key
Posts: 360
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: Thoughts on Push by those who have it now?

Post by lo.key » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:03 pm

i think you're overreacting due to the other threads. Tags are an obvious addition, his linking to the example of how maschine does it isnt an advertisement, just a demo. Be peaceful.

MisterBodega
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:02 am

Re: Thoughts on Push by those who have it now?

Post by MisterBodega » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:32 pm

Mine was delivered yesterday, Live 9 Suite bundled with it. I started playing around with it in the demo version while my full version downloaded, which led to my only real frustration. For some reason, pushing the user button in the demo brings up different options than the full version, without a way to tweak the threshold and velocity curves. The pads weren't sensitive enough for me out of the box, so I spent a maddening hour looking for the settings the manual assured me should be there, thinking my push was somehow broken.

With the full version installed, the user button worked as expected, and everything since has been sheer bliss. I really like the size and feel of the pads. I think part of the reason they feel better to me than my PadKontrol is because Push is such a heavy beast, it makes a really stable playing surface. I like the feel of the knobs too, but I wish the buttons were easier to press.

Based on what I've read, I wasn't expecting Push to be able to do much with AUs and VSTs, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that it correctly automapped a delay AU, and that I could play an instance of Olga VST in note mode, without either of them having to be in a rack.

Browsing isn't so bad, after you tweak it to recognize your own samples, but I wish I could auto-preview samples before I load them.

I love having my step sequencer and drum pads RIGHT THERE, where I can play with them together. I'm just scratching the surface, but I can already see the push/live workflow is going to be revolutionary for me. Note mode is amazing, and very playable with the sensitivity cranked up. I think it's going to end up completely replacing midi keyboards in my setup.

I used to use Reaper on an aging desktop in my basement. A year ago I got an Ipad, and not long ago I realized that in the last year I barely used my recording desktop at all, because it was easier and much more fun to sit in a recliner playing with audio on my Ipad. I decided I'd be a lot happier and more productive with a laptop recording setup that doesn't chain me to a desk. While researching that, I stumbled on a Push video, and it just clicked with me. This is the workflow I've been searching for.

Now I've got a recording studio I can put in a backpack and take anywhere, and Push is the final piece of that puzzle. This is an exciting time, and I can't wait to see how the user community makes Push even more awesome.

delicioso
Posts: 1331
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:28 pm

Re: Thoughts on Push by those who have it now?

Post by delicioso » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:33 pm

blinkeye wrote:
deva wrote:
blinkeye wrote: I don't understand why they couldn't just have it all work out of the box with multiple levels of tags (even easily adding your own custom tags) like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys8bsWEWt0A

This is a thread about Push... Please stop posting your Maschine advertising in thread after thread.
Advertising? lol You needs to chillax bro. It was a serious comment about one of many flaws I and many others see in Push. Just because you invested your money in it doesn't mean you should play some kind of forum police and get all defensive whenever anyone says something critical about something you purchased or compares it to something you don't own.
I don't think it's necessarily a case of fanboys trying to play forum cops. It's understandable that there's gonna be defensive knee-jerk reactions like this when Maschine gets mentioned here, especially since people have been comparing Push to Maschine a lot. This is an Ableton Live forum after all. Besides Maschine having the option to go completely mouseless, I don't think there's much to compare between the two, other than the way browsing and automapping works.

deva
Posts: 1685
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:32 pm

Re: Thoughts on Push by those who have it now?

Post by deva » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:56 pm

delicioso wrote:
blinkeye wrote:
deva wrote:

This is a thread about Push... Please stop posting your Maschine advertising in thread after thread.
Advertising? lol You needs to chillax bro. It was a serious comment about one of many flaws I and many others see in Push. Just because you invested your money in it doesn't mean you should play some kind of forum police and get all defensive whenever anyone says something critical about something you purchased or compares it to something you don't own.
I don't think it's necessarily a case of fanboys trying to play forum cops. It's understandable that there's gonna be defensive knee-jerk reactions like this when Maschine gets mentioned here, especially since people have been comparing Push to Maschine a lot. This is an Ableton Live forum after all. Besides Maschine having the option to go completely mouseless, I don't think there's much to compare between the two, other than the way browsing and automapping works.
It is annoying the relentless advertising by Maschine Zombies who spam thread after thread with Maschine propaganda. Maschine is the second coming, Maschine is perfect, Maschine is omniscient, Machine tutorials, Maschine videos, Maschine, Maschine, Maschine... showing up in thread after thread, even threads with nothing to do with it. The Maschine Zombies take advantage of the forum because there is very little moderation so they can keep posting advertising with the most minimal pretense that they are doing otherwise.

Oh, and someone is not an Ableton fanboy simply because they don't want to have such advertising pushed at them in thread after thread. And saying something about it, does not mean it is a defensive knee-jerk reaction.

blinkeye
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:28 pm

Re: Thoughts on Push by those who have it now?

Post by blinkeye » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:05 pm

deva wrote:It is annoying the relentless advertising by Maschine Zombies who spam thread after thread with Maschine propaganda. Maschine is the second coming, Maschine is perfect, Maschine is omniscient, Machine tutorials, Maschine videos, Maschine, Maschine, Maschine... showing up in thread after thread, even threads with nothing to do with it. The Maschine Zombies take advantage of the forum because there is very little moderation so they can keep posting advertising with the most minimal pretense that they are doing otherwise.
Holy crap. You need to take a chill pill, dude. What advertising? :lol:

panten
Posts: 876
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:02 pm
Location: South of London

Re: Thoughts on Push by those who have it now?

Post by panten » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:10 pm

delicioso wrote:I don't think there's much to compare between the two, other than the way browsing and automapping works.
With respect, this isn't true. There is a huge amount of overlap between the two especially with the excellent remote MIDI scripts for Maschine, a lot of which was discussed in that 'other' thread.

deva
Posts: 1685
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:32 pm

Re: Thoughts on Push by those who have it now?

Post by deva » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:13 pm

MisterBodega wrote:
Based on what I've read, I wasn't expecting Push to be able to do much with AUs and VSTs, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that it correctly automapped a delay AU, and that I could play an instance of Olga VST in note mode, without either of them having to be in a rack.

Could you say more about that? How did you load Olga on a track?

Citizen
Posts: 756
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:34 am

Re: Thoughts on Push by those who have it now?

Post by Citizen » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:21 am

GUYS!!!

Can we please try to keep this on track? 8O

For the record, I own Maschine, love it, but it has its shortcomings - as does Push, by the looks of things. The good news is that most of these shortcomings should be able to be resolved by software updates.

The great news is that competition between NI + Ableton will probably drive innovation at a faster rate than would otherwise occur. :D

Funnily enough - it was playing melodic phrases - and learning various scales on the Maschine that finally tipped the scales (no pun intended), and made me place an order for Push. Seriously, playing harmonically on pads has really opened things up for me creatively, so this alone will bring huge value to my personal creative processes. :D

I'm a very average keyboardist - but I found that I am much more confident with playing instruments on a pad layout. Scales and chords just make more sense to me that way. The downside is that you only have 16 pad on Maschine....hence my yearning for more pads grew.

I have no doubt that there will be things about Push that will bug me, but I'm really excited about incorporating this new tool into my workflow. 8)

MisterBodega
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:02 am

Re: Thoughts on Push by those who have it now?

Post by MisterBodega » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:26 am

deva wrote:
MisterBodega wrote:
Based on what I've read, I wasn't expecting Push to be able to do much with AUs and VSTs, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that it correctly automapped a delay AU, and that I could play an instance of Olga VST in note mode, without either of them having to be in a rack.

Could you say more about that? How did you load Olga on a track?
I just dragged it onto a blank midi track on my laptop. It would be nice if I could load it up with Push, but someone will probably be along with a script for that soon. I was just impressed because I'd been under the impression that I wouldn't be able to play vst instruments in note mode without making an instrument rack. Push even knew Olga's name, although it didn't automap to any parameters. I just tried the same thing with Symptohm Melohman AU, and at first it didn't map any parameters, but when I hit one of the Melohman keys (which morph between presets), parameters started showing up on Push's screen. Strange.

deva
Posts: 1685
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:32 pm

Re: Thoughts on Push by those who have it now?

Post by deva » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:10 am

MisterBodega wrote:
deva wrote:
MisterBodega wrote:
Based on what I've read, I wasn't expecting Push to be able to do much with AUs and VSTs, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that it correctly automapped a delay AU, and that I could play an instance of Olga VST in note mode, without either of them having to be in a rack.

Could you say more about that? How did you load Olga on a track?
I just dragged it onto a blank midi track on my laptop. It would be nice if I could load it up with Push, but someone will probably be along with a script for that soon. I was just impressed because I'd been under the impression that I wouldn't be able to play vst instruments in note mode without making an instrument rack. Push even knew Olga's name, although it didn't automap to any parameters. I just tried the same thing with Symptohm Melohman AU, and at first it didn't map any parameters, but when I hit one of the Melohman keys (which morph between presets), parameters started showing up on Push's screen. Strange.
Yes, you can play any plug-in as long as it is loaded... It only needs to be wrapped in a rack to load it from Push. If I am understanding correctly, you can also make it auto-populate parameters with a change to the options.txt file.

Post Reply