Hooking up my 4 channel numark M6 to my Motu Ultralite

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Buckalew

Hooking up my 4 channel numark M6 to my Motu Ultralite

Post by Buckalew » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:04 am

Im ripping my hair our here,
Im trying to send a signal from ableton through the ultralite, matching my first channel in ableton, to my mixers first channel via 1/4 to RCA's. I can't seem to get itttttttt. HELP PLEASE.
I have a gig coming up,
and love the original and professional mixes im able to create, and rather not resort to traktor because I can't figure out such a simple task haha.
i guess its all apart of being a nooby! 8O
heres an image of my setup to help get the idea across Image

merges

Re: Hooking up my 4 channel numark M6 to my Motu Ultralite

Post by merges » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:29 am

It's all in the Ableton preferences, audio setup. But first, you better plug those cables in with the right adapters etc.

What exactly is the problem you're having?

Without that info, here's a stab at something that may be helpful…

Ableton needs to be set up so your Ultralite is the input device. (That's in Preferences, on the Audio tab.) Then you can click the "input config" button and turn on all the channels you need. It sounds like you'll want inputs 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, and 7&8, all as stereo pairs. Meaning that each channel out from your mixer will split into a pair of inputs on your Ultralite. (Again make sure you have all the right cables and adapters.)

Then in Ableton, first make sure your track inputs and outputs are showing. (In the menus, View > In/Out.) The top pair of poup menus on an audio track is where you choose audio input sources. So, choose "Ext. in" from the top popup, and then "1/2" for the first channel out from your mixer, "3/4" for the second, etc.

This is all assuming you plug everything in correctly. Maybe come back with some more detail if this doesn't help you out.

Buckalew

Post by Buckalew » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:43 am

I wouldn't be plugging it into Output?
i guess the back of the motu is confusing me
I'd be using my mixers going out to speakers all around my room as my monitor,
and wanted to use the cue ability on my mixer instead of in ableton,
and I believe i have all the corrrect adapters.
Okie I'll go step by step on what i do,
I plug in my Motu via firewire, its a mark 1 mind you:p
and than I plug my two 1/4 to rca's into my line ins on my mixer, than plug the 1/4's into main outs, which i heard is incorrect, so im just dumbfounded.
idk if that helps

merges

Post by merges » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:24 am

OK, I misunderstood what you were trying to do. You want just one channel in Ableton to be OUTPUT to your mixer?

Not all that different than above… in this case you want to set up one of the Motu's "extra" outputs, rather than the main outs. For instance:

===Cables===
Motu 3&4 Output >>> Numark Ch 1 input

===Ableton Preferences===
Motu as output device.
Output config is a little weird here. The numbers in Ableton *do not* match the back of the Motu. They are shifted by two. It's been a long time since I've done this but I *think* according to Ableton, 1/2 is "Main Out" on the back of the Motu, 3/4 is "1/2" on the back of the Motu, "5/6" is "3/4" on the back of the Motu, etc. But anyway make sure the outputs are turned on as stereo pairs.

===Track, session view===
The second set of popups above the track volume fader is for audio output. Set the first one to "Ext. out" and the second one to "5/6" (if you've plugged the cabe into 3&4 as I recommended above, and if I'm right about the numbers being off by two).

Let me know how it goes. Good luck!

Buckalew

Post by Buckalew » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:36 am

OH lord thank you so much!! and thank you for the fast replies!!