Auditioning Sounds from Push - Is it Possible?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ginkgo

Auditioning Sounds from Push - Is it Possible?

Post by Ginkgo » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:16 am

After a lovely 24 hours with Push, some of the honeymoon factor is wearing off and I'm getting more familiar with it's limitations.

So far, the biggest limitation (of the negative sort, there are plenty of them that work in your favor) is an inability to audition or hotswap from the controller. After putting the time into redesigning the browser for live 9, there doesn't seem to be that much of a relationship between the GUI browser and the browsing experience on Push.

Where this presents the biggest annoyance is when auditioning/hotswapping individual drum sounds, which you don't appear to be able to do. I know that the controller has been out for about 4 days, and features like this will be added, so this post is mostly just to confirm that I'm not missing something obvious.

It seems like I'll have to stick with 128s for the time being Odd, considering this statement from the "Push: Questions & Answers" thread a while back.

Quote:
With Push, will it be possible to select a drum rack cell by pressing a pad on push, and then turn a knob to scroll through different drum samples within a folder to choose which drum sample is assigned to that drum cell? Basically, this would do away with spending time making "128s" and would let the user quickly setup drum racks.

I have used 128s for a long time, without knowing they were a thing called "128s" - so much of the early concept for Push's drum workflow was to eliminate having to make 128s. You hit a pad, press Browse, and use either the smooth encoder, or the buttons beneath the display to move sequentially to different presets/samples.

ObtuseMoose

Re: Auditioning Sounds from Push - Is it Possible?

Post by ObtuseMoose » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:25 pm

Yep, it's possible, but it's a little obscure until you figure out the trick. Here's what works for me in Live 9.0.2.

1. On a new track, hit [Browse], then select "Drum Rack" and find the drum rack you want to start with. For example "Core Library" - "Kit...606". Hit the rightmost green button in the top row to load the kit.

2. Hit a pad (say, the lower left one for the kick), and then hit the [Browse] button again. You'll see the display change to the macro settings available for that pad. Notice in the lower left corner of the display is the (abbreviated) name of the kit and the pad. In this case it looks something like ">Kt-Cr60 Kick 606". Notice particularly the triangle/arrow thingie pointing to the kit name (>Kt-Cr60). If you were to hit the [Browse] button now, you would be back to browsing for kits, but we want to browse for hits, not kits.

3. Hit the top button under the name of the current pad ("Kick 606" in this example). Notice that the triangle/arrow thing is now pointing to the "Kick 606" item. Now hit the [Browse] button.

4. Now you should be seeing a list of all the kicks in your library. To actually audition one, you have to hit the green button in the top row to load it, which is a little klunky, but that's the way it is at the moment.

5. To change sounds on another pad, say the snare hit above the kick, first hit the [Browse] button again to get out of browse mode and back to the sound parameters.

6. Now hit the snare pad. Make sure the triangle/arrow thing is pointing to "SnrMd606", and hit [Browse].

Repeat for any other pads you want to change.

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

Nicknackerski

Post by Nicknackerski » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:33 pm

Awesome tip thanks!

onestep

Post by onestep » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:02 pm

Ginkgo wrote:So far, the biggest limitation (of the negative sort, there are plenty of them that work in your favor) is an inability to audition or hotswap from the controller. After putting the time into redesigning the browser for live 9, there doesn't seem to be that much of a relationship between the GUI browser and the browsing experience on Push.

Where this presents the biggest annoyance is when auditioning/hotswapping individual drum sounds, which you don't appear to be able to do. I know that the controller has been out for about 4 days, and features like this will be added, so this post is mostly just to confirm that I'm not missing something obvious.
My understanding is that it's not possible to audition sounds on Push. You have to actually load the sound before you can hear it. As for hot swapping sounds, there is a workaround for already loaded sounds though as obtusemoose pointed out.

I think the bigger limitation is not being able to browse and load audio samples or live clips from Push.

ccombe

Post by ccombe » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:15 am

this is helpful info but when I go in and try I see drum rack / max for live / drum hits, however when I select drum hits it says on the next column that there are no presents... wondering what I should do.. do I need to configure a path or something..?

update
closed and reloaded ableton and now it works properly, more useful info here: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=191814

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:45 am

Adding a drum rack with a kit: Add track. Select Drum Rack. Next column shows Core Library, Drum Machines, LoopMastersMixtape etc. Third column shows kits. Green button selects and loads the kit.

Individual hits: From note mode hit the device button. Highlight the hit you want by hitting the corresponding pad. In the lower left hand corner of the LCD screen is your kit (example: Kt-808C1) and the pad/drum hit you just touched (example: HhtOpn8 [high hat, open #8]). Use the yellow button below the selected hit (directly under the LCD screen) to select that drum hit rather than the kit. Now push the browse button. Use the encoders and the buttons below the LCD screen to select your hit. From this screen you can swap any of your drum rack hit. It will grab any pad you hit and present the appropriate group of samples (kick, hihat, snare, etc.)

There are no drum hits preloaded with Max4Live. (That I'm aware of.) You're in the wrong place.

Try following mine or ObtuseMoose's directions again. If that doesn't work LOL you're dumb (just kidding!) consult the manual. If that doesn't work, try again. It's pretty simple, you're just doing it wrong. FYI, I have not had to consult the manual yet regarding Push. For someone not experienced with hardware it might not be as easy but the layout is fairly intuitive and if you dick around with it you'll figure it out.

blinkeye

Post by blinkeye » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:53 pm

Ginkgo wrote:After a lovely 24 hours with Push, some of the honeymoon factor is wearing off and I'm getting more familiar with it's limitations.

So far, the biggest limitation (of the negative sort, there are plenty of them that work in your favor) is an inability to audition or hotswap from the controller. After putting the time into redesigning the browser for live 9, there doesn't seem to be that much of a relationship between the GUI browser and the browsing experience on Push.

It seems like I'll have to stick with 128s for the time being Odd, considering this statement from the "Push: Questions & Answers" thread a while back.

Quote:
With Push, will it be possible to select a drum rack cell by pressing a pad on push, and then turn a knob to scroll through different drum samples within a folder to choose which drum sample is assigned to that drum cell? Basically, this would do away with spending time making "128s" and would let the user quickly setup drum racks.

I have used 128s for a long time, without knowing they were a thing called "128s" - so much of the early concept for Push's drum workflow was to eliminate having to make 128s. You hit a pad, press Browse, and use either the smooth encoder, or the buttons beneath the display to move sequentially to different presets/samples.
Yeah, it's not possible to audition sounds from Push without loading them first.

Also - at the risk of annoying the pro-Push/anti-Maschine crew here - another advantage of Maschine regarding this is that you don't even need to make a 128s setup because of the way its browser works. You can just browse through your samples from the Maschine hardware with the 'prehear' button on and scroll thru your samples and hear them instantly without having to load them first so your WHOLE Maschine is now a '128' except that it is more like an 'infinity' setup. :)

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:03 pm

I haven't seen one person on this forum badmouth Maschine. Push on the other hand...

Yes, Maschine's browser is great and beats the shit out of Live in terms of auditioning samples but this doesn't really help those of us who don't want to have to work in another DAW just to get our beats laid out.

Loading samples from the Push isn't lightening fast like on Maschine but it certainly doesn't take forever. Push the green button, hit the pad. Don't like it? Encoder, green button, pad. This might be cumbersome at first if you have no idea what's in your library but if you're making beats all the time you get to know pretty quick which samples you like and which one's you'd rather avoid altogether.

You're right though that they should work on sample auditioning. It's not like it's unusable but there are quicker methods. It's not surprising that some people on this forum are using their Maschine basically as a browser for their Push.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:41 pm

SuburbanThug wrote:I haven't seen one person on this forum badmouth Maschine.
That doesn't mean it doesn't happen:
looprication wrote:Fuck Maschine. NI are designing it as an Ableton Live killer. If you truly care about Live and believe in the workflow it provides, steer clear.
deva wrote:Push is gonna crush Maschine!
deva wrote:It is hard to see Maschine as an instrument for me because it only has 16 pads
deva wrote:It is 4 times the selling point of the puny little 4x4 grid in Maschine.
skatr2 wrote:Truth is maschine by itself still SUCKS for full length song creation(still relies on full sized draws to export audio to) and lacks in ability to support a serious live environment
H20nly wrote:the problem with Maschine is that glitch that causes it to delete some of your tracks and the way it adds that little buzz at about 10,000 KHz
pencilrocket wrote:I say it is useless. Shareware quality sequencer with drum pad. Its sequencer is far from DAW and never generate commercial-level song. It's okay as a toy.
pencilrocket wrote:Maschine's workflow is definitely hype. It's joke. It is nothing more than share-ware sequencer.

Whoever thinks Maschine should be replaced with traditional DAWs with a linear timeline is an idiot anyway. Using Maschine worsen and slow the workflow of using DAW. In fact, many people use it with a DAW either as standalone or as a plugin, but all finished beat are cheesy and noobish. The difference is that Maschine makes noob feel like using a self-contained hardware (but it's not true) like the MPCs (works even faster rather than on computer) in actual use but has the cheap integration in a software environment(share-ware lol). Seriously, there's no faster workflow which we can pull out from the glitter LED toy.
pencilrocket wrote:It's a drum machine with casio calclator-ish display which can't be used w/o PC booted.
...etc.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:51 pm

Some of those quotes are pretty funny...