All times are UTC

Post subject: Stupid question - searching samples
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:42 pm 

Hi guys
Embarrassing that my first post is this question but I'm banging my head against a brick wall here.

I've just moved from 8 suite to 9 suite and I'm trying to search for samples. I've located my Live 8 library and can browse this as an independent location in the browser. However, when I try to search, say for "kick", it doesn't bring up all the hits as would happen in 8. Instead it acts as a filter so that when browsing the Live 8 library only kicks can be found - that's not particularly helpful as my samples are split into a large number of folders.

Is there any way to make it so that search results bring back all hits for that keyword in the folder/sub-folders being searched?

Apologies if I've missed something obvious.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Stupid question - searching samples
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:12 pm 

MrTingleby wrote:
Hi guys
Embarrassing that my first post is this question but I'm banging my head against a brick wall here.

I've just moved from 8 suite to 9 suite and I'm trying to search for samples. I've located my Live 8 library and can browse this as an independent location in the browser. However, when I try to search, say for "kick", it doesn't bring up all the hits as would happen in 8. Instead it acts as a filter so that when browsing the Live 8 library only kicks can be found - that's not particularly helpful as my samples are split into a large number of folders.

Is there any way to make it so that search results bring back all hits for that keyword in the folder/sub-folders being searched?

Apologies if I've missed something obvious.

Thanks

I don't understand why you want things that aren't kicks to show up when you search for kick.

Look in All Results if you want to see everything. However it's possible that you'll have to rename some files. Have you dragged your samples collection into Places by the way?

Best thing is to give some specific examples.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:39 pm 

when i google "dog" i don't expect results with other pets to come up too. it seems to me that if a full list of kicks comes up when you do a search for "kick" that you got what you asked for.

if you want more why not search for more? i.e. search: +kick +snare

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:50 pm 

By the way, I mentioned on another thread recently about this kind of thing one way to get stuff to show up in searches. By renaming a sample from Hihat to HiHat, I got it to show up in searches for 'hat'!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:36 pm 

Sorry I probably haven't explained the problem correctly. Searching for "kick" brings up nothing. You can still browse the folder structure and all that will be shown are kicks - fine. But in 8 when you searched it would bring up a list of all the kicks. Here you still have to browse the folders rather than getting a complete list. Does that make sense?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:58 pm 

search for kick and then click on All Results at the bottom of Categories. That should give you loads. Where are your samples? Are they in Places as a custom samples folder, or are they in the Live 8 Library?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:32 am 

MrTingleby wrote:
Sorry I probably haven't explained the problem correctly. Searching for "kick" brings up nothing. You can still browse the folder structure and all that will be shown are kicks - fine. But in 8 when you searched it would bring up a list of all the kicks. Here you still have to browse the folders rather than getting a complete list. Does that make sense?

ah. that makes much more sense... see funk's post above.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:39 am 

Funk N. Furter wrote:
search for kick and then click on All Results at the bottom of Categories. That should give you loads. Where are your samples? Are they in Places as a custom samples folder, or are they in the Live 8 Library?

Thanks, I've tried as you suggest but the only results in the "All Results" section at the bottom of Categories are the standard Live offerings - none from my samples folder. My samples are all in the Live 8 Library (which shows up in Places as I've pointed Live to this in the preferences). I've also tried adding the specific folders to Places as a custom folder but this doesn't affect the search results.

I guess I must be missing something but not sure what!

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:24 pm 

Hmm.. I'm not too familiar with using the Live 8 Library to store samples. I keep all my sample packs in a folder called Samples. I dragged this into Places. Now, if I search for kick, most of my kicks will show up in All Results. Either you are missing something obvious, or something strange is going on.

Let's start from scratch. Try dragging one sample pack containing some kicks that are labelled kick in their individual file names into a folder called Samples and drag that into Places. When I say 'drag' you can use 'add a folder'.

Leave it for an hour.

Search for kick and click All Results. Wait a minute. Anything? Should look like this

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:37 pm 

Thanks for the reply Frank - appreciate your help on this.

I've tried copying all my samples from the folder in the Live 8 library to a separate samples folder. This folder has been added to "Places" and I can browse it. However, when I try to search, none of the results show up in the "All Results" section.

I've also tried as you suggested with one folder and it doesn't work. I'll try again a bit later in case it needs to index the folder or something but it's not looking great...I'll try to upload some pictures to show you the issue.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:41 pm 

Ok. You don't have any sample packs that are independent from Live 8's library do you?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:26 pm 

Hi Frank

Thanks for your continued help with this. Turns out that Live seemed to need a bit longer to analyse the folder. So after leaving the sample folder as a new "place" for a while (and after taking it out of the Live 8 folder structure) it seems to have done the trick and now works as it should do.

Thanks a lot for your help!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:46 pm 

Glad to hear it!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:06 pm 

So why can't live 9 include results from the live 8 folder structure in the @all result'' filed? This seems a bit stupid and troublesome. I don't want to move my sample folders out of the live 8 structure as I still need to use 8 for many things.

http://soundcloud.com/distant-tremor/se ... -are-blip/

http://www.myspace.com/alanpsyfi https://www.facebook.com/pages/Psyfi/107738257120

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:17 am 

I'm not sure. I'm not sure what is included from the Live 8 Library in All Results off the top of my head, it's not something I use much personally. It could well be that nothing from the Live 8 Library shows in All Results unless it is also in the Live 9 Library by default, or because you saved it within Live 9. It has been kept separate and it probably doesn't get included, but I don't think the Live 9 browser is completely finished; I would imagine that one day the Live 8 Library will be absorbed into Live 9 but that's just a guess plus what I remember someone saying a few months ago. I think one of the original reasons was to keep them separate so you can still use the Live 8 Library in Live 8 if you want, which was important during the beta testing of Live 9. Also it was to keep the download small. Remember that once you've converted a preset to Live 9 you can't use it in Live 8, so it made sense to keep a completely separate set of presets. Of course if you drag the whole Live 8 Library into Places, which is not possible directly, but is if you drag in the folder which contains it, things will show up in All Results.