Export Stems

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rap masta rj

Export Stems

Post by rap masta rj » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:07 am

I was wondering if there is any good way to export stems from a live set that contains both audio and midi. The only way I know of is to export the set with the track solo'd that I want the stem of.

I would also like for the stems to have all of the sends and mastering chain still applied to it.

Vios

Re: Export Stems

Post by Vios » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:37 am

When you export, under 'Rendered Track' you can select 'All Tracks' and this will export all of your audio stems, including those coming from the effect channels and the master. However the return tracks' audio outputs will be the combined mix (ie if you have a reverb return track, you get the audio that comes out from everything that's sent to that reverb).

If you want your mastering effects (don't know why you'd want to do this with mastering effects except for equalization) and return effects applied to each track individually, I suggest creating an audio rack for each, and then copying and pasting it into each audio track. You probably won't be able to play your track any more due the processing requirements, and exporting will take a very long time to do, but it should be pretty quick to do. You'll have to adjust each audio rack send to your previous send setting with an empty node in the rack.

rap masta rj

Post by rap masta rj » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:22 am

thanks so much, I guess this would be the best way to do this.

TYLRbass

Post by TYLRbass » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:44 pm

I stopped using Sends and Master channel effects for this very reason...

What I do is group all of my channels into 5 stem layers (for live use)

Then when I Export: All Tracks, I'm left with a wav for every track (remix stems), 5 grouped wavs (performance stems) and the Master mix (pre-master)

Sometimes I will use Sends but like Vios mentioned those are only included in the Master mix and as their own wav file BUT what you can do is create an empty audio track in one of your groups and route the Return track into this empty audio track.. but this gets a little messy if you are sending audio from multiple groups into that Return channel..

As for master channel effects, i just duplicate the rack (and automation) across all 5 groups and that seems to work fine.

OR

Mute all but one (or a few) tracks and render one stem at a time. Takes a lot longer but for live sets that you haven't planned ahead like I do you may have to resort to this technique..