noise drone still plays when external instrument is stopped

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
portamento

noise drone still plays when external instrument is stopped

Post by portamento » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:29 am

Hi,

I am sequencing my Prophet 08 from ableton using external instrument. I have done this many times. NOW ???!!! for some reason, when I stop my midi clip, there is a sort of feedback drone which is coming through the audio leads. My patch has zero drone.

ideas?

southsounder

Re: noise drone still plays when external instrument is stopped

Post by southsounder » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:45 am

Record it, add a little phaser and reverb, and put out an ambient/drone album? :)

Seriously though, check the obvious thing first - if you unplug the Profit from your A/D does the noise stop?

If so, check the outputs of the Profit through a different monitoring system - maybe there is some weirdness going on there that you hadn't realized.

If that's not it, then maybe you really do have a feedback loop. Does the Profit 8 have audio inputs and if so have you been sending a signal from your computer to it recently? The weird thing about external instrument is that the audio inputs are always "on" regardless of whether or not a MIDI clip is playing. So if you're still monitoring even part of a signal being sent back to the Profit there could in fact be a feedback loop if the patch on the Profit is also passing the audio inputs back to the outputs.