Post Your DJ Template

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
sqook
Posts: 2430
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:14 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by sqook » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:50 pm

kabuki wrote: I have a template and a PDF of the layout, but no where to post it to... unless someone else has room?
Email it to me (sqook(a)yaho.com) and I'll post it for you. Or better yet, if you don't feel like waiting, just upload it to mytempdir (or yousendit's inborn cousin, as I like to call it).

sqook
Posts: 2430
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:14 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by sqook » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:53 pm

Livewire wrote: this gave me an idea. what if there was an option in the preferences to automatically fade out the original output of a track as you send it to a return track? this way you wont have to choose "sends only" as the output of all your tracks and do what sqook is doing. not that anything is wrong with what your doing sqook, but i think that this would make it much much easier.
wat do you guys think?
Believe me, I'm only doing what I'm doing because there's no preference/option to determine whether effects are additive or replacing. I like this idea, but I don't like the idea of live fading for me... part of the reason I've got things set up this way is so I can reroute a track straight through to an effect fast, usually dropping it with no fade at all and bringing in the effect on top of it.

Then again, there are other times when I'd want to gradually replace the track output with the effect (such as in the case of delays and such), so a one-size-fits-all pref for this doesn't really work...

drush
Posts: 1282
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:40 am
Location: Venice, CA
Contact:

Post by drush » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:36 am

since we're sort of on the topic, just out of curiosity how do you guys keep your actual tracks organized? seems simple enough but all in one folder is too broad, in artist folders is too narrow, and my attempts at genre always get too convoluted.

AdamJay
Posts: 4757
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Indianapolis, USA

Post by AdamJay » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:05 am

drush wrote:since we're sort of on the topic, just out of curiosity how do you guys keep your actual tracks organized? seems simple enough but all in one folder is too broad, in artist folders is too narrow, and my attempts at genre always get too convoluted.
yer probably gonna shit but i keep it all in the same .als
saved self contained.

yea, thats 7 audio tracks plus 1 miditrack times about 180 scene rows.
i just keep adding :? not a big deal when you are a touchpad ninja :P

the clips are named with something that makes sense to me, i.e. a track name or ep name or if its a unique artist who's tracks i dont have many of, just the artist name - but the clip name has to stick out to me. The file names themselves are generally Artist-TrackTitle format, and i can see those by mousing over the clip.

bruce
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:27 am
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post by bruce » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:01 am

my setup is as follows...

AMD Athlon 2.5GHz Laptop
M-Audio Audiophile FW Soundcard
UC33 controller
Pioneer DJM500 mixer

In Live...

Track Setup...

I have 6 channels in live, named as follows...

Deck1, blank, blank - Set to SENDS ONLY, set to Send1
Deck2, blank, blank - Set to SENDS ONLY, set to Send2

Supatrigga effect on Each of these tracks

Sends...

Send 1 - output to ExtOut1 on Soundcard
Send 2 - output to ExtOut2 on Soundcard
(AutoFilter effect on each of these)

*Send 3 - Ping Pong Delay, set to Pong-3
*Send 4 - Reverb

* Send 3&4 output to both Send 1&2 (inorder to go out of the soundcard outs)

Image

External Setup...

Soundcard/Mixer...

I have ExtOut1 on my Audiophile FW wired into Channel 1 on my mixer, ExtOut2 wired to Channel 2 on the mixer, this allows me to use the mixer as i would be normally using it for traditional dj'ing, eq'ing, cutting, mixer fx etc.


Laptop Keyboard...

i have keys mapped as follows (Think Deck1 / Deck2)...

qwe iop - Scene 1 launch track 1/2/3 4/5/6
asd jkl - Scene 2 launch track 1/2/3 4/5/6
zxc bnm - Scene 3 launch track 1/2/3 4/5/6

Scene 3 keys will also double as Stop buttons if nothing is loaded into these cells

In order to see these buttons in dingy club environments i put little white round stickers on them, under uv these stand out a mile and it means i dont need to squint to see what buttons im pressin.

UC33...

Faders - Track vols on 1-6
7+8 are set to control AutoFilters on Sends 1/2 (output channels)
9 is Pitch control (min 130 - max 145)

Pots - For all tracks

Pot 1 - Set to Send 3(PPDelay)
Pot 2 - Set to Send 4(Reverb)
Pot 3 - Controls Slice amount in Supatrigga

Assignable Buttons

Buttons 1-6 - Toggle Repeat on/off in Supatrigga
Buttons 7-0 - Toggle Reverse on/off in Supatrigga for tracks 1-4

4 Buttons at bottom - Set to select track 1/2/3/4 - so i can quickly jump to see if Supatrigga is still on.

I've used a blank overlay and added text/visual labels with a White Tippex pen! IE - Lines to seperate each Deck, labels on the 3 pots (Send/Rev/ST), and set marker points round each of the supatriga pots to show where the slice points are (2/4/8/16) - makes it easier to set quickly.
Using the white pen lets the text/labels stand out well in the dark dj booth!


The way i DJ with Live is...

I load the main track i'll be playing into Deck 1, adding any misc loops,accapellas etc into the blank channels. I then load the track im gonna mix into into Deck2, blanks's used for the same here as well.
I can then use the mixer as i normally would - eq'ing, mixing channels, cueing up the next track/loop/etc and also using the onboard mixer fx.

Having the hands on feel at the mixer helps me relate to what i'm used to doing with tuntables/cdj's as i've only been playing out with Live since Feb'05 - during a live performance, stick with what you know! I'm now starting to float between using the lines in the mixer and the lines on the Uc33, just depends on what/how i'm mixing.

With a combination of using Live, FX and Supatrigga, i can now create variations of each track on the fly, looping, delaying & stuttering/reversing as i wish (obviously used sparingly, not overkilled!!)
It's really gave me back my enthusiasim for DJ'ing again, because after 10+ years with conventional cdj/turntable mixing, as i was getting a bit board.

I know some might question why i output to 2 channels on the mixer, and why i dont just eq and mix all using the uc33 and output thru 1 channel.
I'd though about this myself but justified it when i played last week, my usb cable came out of the back of my laptop half way thru my set, causing my uc33 to freeze and not work anymore! As i didnt have to depend on using it to mix out the levels of each track i just set both tracks to their top vol and used the mixer to perform a conventional mix, track 1 into track 2. This worked fine until i finished the rest of my set and had a chance to reboot my pc, ready to go back on later.

I'd be interested on comments on my setup, as i'm still quite new to dj'ing out with Live i'm open to suggestions on improving it - after reading other comments on this post i think i'll play around with having an eq4 and compressor on the outputs.

My Als file is here...

Tarekith
Posts: 17428
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Post by Tarekith » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:48 am

I use 7 tracks for DJing. First two are labeled Deck1 and Deck2, track 3 is always empty and has all the clip slots removed (just to visually break up the session view between my "decks" and "crates"). Tracks 1 and 2 each go to seperate outs on the Echo Indigo. If I want to add a third track, I jst create a new track on the fly. As I play breaks, 2 tracks is usually enough though, with 3 it tends to get too busy.

Tracks 4-7 are all treated as record crates if you will, each one holds my tunes for the night in successively more banging categories. IE, Track 4 might hold early night tunes, while Track 7 has all the banging peak time stuff. I also color coordinate my clips according to energy level too (reds are peak, blues are chill, etc). Tracks 4-7 are not routed to any outs to prevent accidentally sending a track to the club mixer while moving them arround.

Tracks 1 and 2 each have the following insert effects in this order:

- Autofilter, set to a 'wah-like' setting.
- Supatriagga, set to 1/4 note repeats usually. sometimes random.
- PSP84s, set to 3/16th note cross delays with some pitch modulation.

I use QWERTY keys to control the effects and my session.

Q, W - Triggers slot 1 on Tracks 1 and 2.
A, S - Triggers an empty slot on Tracks 1 and 2 to stop each deck.

Track 1:
Z - Turns on Autofilter.
X - Turns on Supatrigga.
C - Turns on PSP84s.

Track 2:
B - Turns on Autofilter.
N - Turns on Supatrigga.
M - Turns on PSP84s.

T - Tap tempo.

dannyk
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:58 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by dannyk » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:10 pm

I'm very haphazard when it comes to DJ setups apart from one thing - I use the patchbay to send track 1 to a stereo output on my firewire audiophile, and track 2 sent to another set of stereo outputs. This way I can use the crossfader on the mixer at the club. Anyone else do this? I've tried to use the one in live but I just find it unusable. Its all one channel until you reach the centre, then both come in suddenly, then just as quickly the first channel disappears. Does it improve when assigned to a controller slider? Im using the mouse/cursor keys right now.

Other than that, couple of tracks for decks, two for loops, two midi channels for live improvisation.

Tarekith
Posts: 17428
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Post by Tarekith » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:26 pm

I mix and EQ with then club's mixer as well, as I don't like Live's linear track faders or the sound of the EQ plug ins. BTW, for more Live related DJing advice, check my signature!

mettkea
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:28 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Post by mettkea » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:39 pm

bruce wrote: My Als file is here...
Thanks for the ALS file, will give it a try tonight. I have a similiar setup but I wasn't sure how to incorporate my mixer. Thanks for the detailed description as well!

Tarekith
Posts: 17428
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Post by Tarekith » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:22 pm

OOps, forgot to add how I organize my files for DJing in Live. Basically, I group them by genre in folders. So I have a breaks folder, 4/4 (prog, techish things) folder, house folder, downtempo folder. Then I also have a folder that has all the tracks I know for sure I want to play out that night, typically all the new stuff. Makes it easier to sort through a shorter list while playing, though I'll still jump into the other folders if I think of something else (older tunes) I want to play.

Additionally, I name my wav files as follows:

"Song Title - Artist (remixer, if any) - Label BPM.wav"

Then I just name the clips with song title most of the time. Once my tunes are warped and tested, they get burned to DVD for back up. No need to have to rewarp hundreds of tunes!

drush
Posts: 1282
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:40 am
Location: Venice, CA
Contact:

Post by drush » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:32 pm

dannyk wrote:...send track 1 to a stereo output on my firewire audiophile, and track 2 sent to another set of stereo outputs. This way I can use the crossfader on the mixer at the club
agreed that the crossfader in Live is next to worthless (i just use channel faders) but by doing it this way you're limiting yourself to just 2 tracks, or "decks" - no? seems like that would miss out on a lot of the reason to use Live in the first place

AdamJay
Posts: 4757
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Indianapolis, USA

Post by AdamJay » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:43 pm

drush wrote:
dannyk wrote:...send track 1 to a stereo output on my firewire audiophile, and track 2 sent to another set of stereo outputs. This way I can use the crossfader on the mixer at the club
agreed that the crossfader in Live is next to worthless (i just use channel faders) but by doing it this way you're limiting yourself to just 2 tracks, or "decks" - no? seems like that would miss out on a lot of the reason to use Live in the first place
agreed... with the UC-33 one would effectively have "eight" decks.

drush
Posts: 1282
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:40 am
Location: Venice, CA
Contact:

Post by drush » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:26 pm

AdamJay wrote:
drush wrote:since we're sort of on the topic, just out of curiosity how do you guys keep your actual tracks organized? seems simple enough but all in one folder is too broad, in artist folders is too narrow, and my attempts at genre always get too convoluted.
yer probably gonna shit but i keep it all in the same .als
saved self contained.

yea, thats 7 audio tracks plus 1 miditrack times about 180 scene rows.
i just keep adding :? not a big deal when you are a touchpad ninja :P

the clips are named with something that makes sense to me, i.e. a track name or ep name or if its a unique artist who's tracks i dont have many of, just the artist name - but the clip name has to stick out to me. The file names themselves are generally Artist-TrackTitle format, and i can see those by mousing over the clip.
oi vey
see.. i've actually thought about doing it that way. but i'm worried that there will be too many instances where later i'll realize that that track would have worked great there but i basically forgot about it at the time b/c it was 100 rows away. i like to move quick and tend to have a lot going at once. apparently i am not ninja enough. :)

dannyk
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:58 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by dannyk » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:41 am

drush wrote:
dannyk wrote:...send track 1 to a stereo output on my firewire audiophile, and track 2 sent to another set of stereo outputs. This way I can use the crossfader on the mixer at the club
agreed that the crossfader in Live is next to worthless (i just use channel faders) but by doing it this way you're limiting yourself to just 2 tracks, or "decks" - no? seems like that would miss out on a lot of the reason to use Live in the first place
Not really - i cue up loops or midi instuments on whichever channel isnt playing out to the club, then when im ready, either set that channel to output to the club, or crossfade over to it on the club mixer. Only pain is its handy to keep the in/out section on the screen just to confirm what outputs go to where. Eats up screen space on a laptop. :( Even tho i name the tracks i'd still rather avoid the chance of crossfading into ....... silence :?

...and you cant put any sort of plugin on the master, because only one side is actually outputting to the master...

so it is a compromise, definitely - but i think the ability to use the club's mixer (vestax pcv 275, which i really like) is worth it. I also find that people respond a little better if i come up from the screen to mix. At the mo, ppl dont *quite* get mixing from PC - certainly in one place where i play, where I was asked for a track, didnt have it, and they said if I could "just download it off there" pointing at my laptop.

Anyways, i know that was a little off-topic sorry.

tomperson
Posts: 1018
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:55 am
Location: MVD, Uruguay, South America
Contact:

COOL!

Post by tomperson » Mon May 02, 2005 4:52 pm

Tarekith wrote:I use 7 tracks for DJing. First two are labeled Deck1 and Deck2, track 3 is always empty and has all the clip slots removed (just to visually break up the session view between my "decks" and "crates"). Tracks 1 and 2 each go to seperate outs on the Echo Indigo. If I want to add a third track, I jst create a new track on the fly. As I play breaks, 2 tracks is usually enough though, with 3 it tends to get too busy.

Tracks 4-7 are all treated as record crates if you will, each one holds my tunes for the night in successively more banging categories. IE, Track 4 might hold early night tunes, while Track 7 has all the banging peak time stuff. I also color coordinate my clips according to energy level too (reds are peak, blues are chill, etc). Tracks 4-7 are not routed to any outs to prevent accidentally sending a track to the club mixer while moving them arround.

Tracks 1 and 2 each have the following insert effects in this order:

- Autofilter, set to a 'wah-like' setting.
- Supatriagga, set to 1/4 note repeats usually. sometimes random.
- PSP84s, set to 3/16th note cross delays with some pitch modulation.

I use QWERTY keys to control the effects and my session.

Q, W - Triggers slot 1 on Tracks 1 and 2.
A, S - Triggers an empty slot on Tracks 1 and 2 to stop each deck.

Track 1:
Z - Turns on Autofilter.
X - Turns on Supatrigga.
C - Turns on PSP84s.

Track 2:
B - Turns on Autofilter.
N - Turns on Supatrigga.
M - Turns on PSP84s.

T - Tap tempo.
Hey, really interesting the way you organize your setup!!! At last something that really makes sense to me!!! I thought about organizing clips in scenes (so it would be some kind of "prearranged" set, but never made much sense to me...

I'm definitely going to try your setup!!!
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

Post Reply