Post Your DJ Template

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
blakejarrell

Post Your DJ Template

Post by blakejarrell » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:26 pm

4 channel:
-2 "Decks" (play flat out tracks)
-1 Impulse (play lots of trackteamaudio loops and drumkits)
-1 Loops (anything i chop up pregig or during gig)

m audio O2
all four channels have eq3 set to be a HPF, each gets assigned a knob on the O2 + a mute button for each
1 send w/ supatrigga and simple delay, knobs assigned to rearrange prob. and dry/wet. 4 buttons assigned (one for each channel) to turn off/on the send.
leave two knobs open for assignment just incase. usually end up assigning them to the volume on decks one and two
master channel: psp vintage warmer, voxengo recorder (a god send)

pinkish monolake skin (i think its mono11??)

whats yours look like? post some screen shots as well

sqook

Post by sqook » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:05 pm

I also use the 4-channel setup, like pretty much everyone else that uses a uc-33. ;) First 3 channels are all filled with warped tracks, and an impulse on the 4th. I've got another 3 spare tracks (for vocal samples, etc) and one with a line in for turntables.

Each of the main channels has an eq4 set up to be a resonant hi/lowpass sweep filter. Not only sounds better and is faster than using eq3's, but it also frees up a controller knob, which I generally use as a mobile notch filter for my extra loop channels.

All my tracks are sends only; I hate sending directly to master because then all the track effects behave as additive filters, not replacement (which I personally prefer as you can hear the effect better over the actual track). So, I've got 3 return tracks plus a fourth which is just a bypass to master. Each track uses knob sends for the 3 fx, but I assigned the vert faders to send D (bypass) rather than using the actual mixer levels. It sounds crazy, I know, but this setup makes it very easy to quickly route a track to different fx ports while keeping the volume levels the same.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:11 pm

usign a uc33e:

frirst 2 channels.
each with an eq 3 (effecing bass only), a reverb and delay send.
channel 3 has loads of sound effetcs with reverb and delay sends.

first 3 volume sliders affect volume of first 3 channels.

volume slider 4 is supper trigga on/off
3 knobs above euqal - slow, repeat and reverse on/off on suppa trigga

volume slider 5 is a cross fader (so sits in middle mostly)

volume slider 6 is low filter

volume slide 7 is high filter.

remaining knobs control: tempo, EQ3 filter on master, clip select, dry wet for reverb on send, delay choice (1,2,3 etc), record on or off (in selected clip) and so on.

send channels can be controlled too. also have knowb for mster volume.

erm, i think thats it.

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:32 pm

why dont you post the als file?

sqook

Post by sqook » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:42 pm

Toufas wrote:why dont you post the als file?
Good idea. Here's mine (tracks not included, obviously, so forgive the broken links to samples) if anyone's interested.

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:18 pm

Not exactly a DJ setup.... but took me awhile to find so may as well share...

1 - Reason
2 - Bidule
3 - Live Input
4 - Bounce
5 - Drums 1
6 - Drums 2
7 - Drums 3
8 - Bass 1
9 - Bass 2
10 - Lead 1
11 - Lead 2
12 - Pad 1
13 - Pad 2
14 - Gate FX 1
15 - Reserved for Drum samples for jaming

Send1 - Drums (Compressor II, EQ4, Gate, Supatrigga)
Send2 - Bass (My bass guitar sound)
Send3 - Filter (Auto filter, Chorus, Reverb)
Send4 - Delay (Filter Delay, Simple Delay, Ping Pong)

Master - (Vinyl Distorting, EQ3, EQ4, Erosion, Compressor II (never really use it))

Each channel has EQ3, thinking of changing to EQ4.

Effects are assigned so I only turn them on if needed, thus the double-up
of effect types in the sends.

Find I can pretty much do everything I need with that, and then it's easy to
copy and paste to combine songs into a set.

edit: oh and I set the drums and bass to "Sends Only".

-Ben

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:38 pm

My "DJ" Setup looks like this:

1 - Deck
2 - Deck
3 - Deck
4 - Deck
5 - Loops
6 - Loops
7 - Loops
8 - Impulse or µTonic (depending on how i woke up that day)

and an EQ4 in the mains to tune to the room.

each track gets an EQ4 that acts as HiPass AND LowPass (sweeping the frequencies of the shelved 1st and 4th bands), and a Supatrigga for Auto-Repeat ONLY (controlled by slices per measure slider, used sparingly).

Level/HiPass/LowPass/Slice per track is controlled via UC-33

Impulse or µTonic live programming/drumming is controlled via an old Roland R5 drum machine with a busted screen. Impulse/µTonic channel also gets a tiny bit of AUMatrixReverb after some heavy limiting from CompressorII to help it fit in the mix.

Sqook controls the pyrotechnics. :twisted:

My Live PA setup is somewhat similar, replace the 4 Deck tracks with 3 loop tracks and another Impulse track.

on my powerbook, cpu never goes above 24% on either. :D

blakejarrell

Post by blakejarrell » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:17 pm

sqook wrote:
Toufas wrote:why dont you post the als file?
Good idea. Here's mine (tracks not included, obviously, so forgive the broken links to samples) if anyone's interested.
please leave this up for a least another day, i am at school right now and i am really interested in the way you are running your efx, as i am not happy with the way mine are...

i made a new template today in my notebook instead of paying attention in class today, will try it when i get home and post it. i think im gonna start splitting all my songs into sections and having them trigger with follow actions and have them all mathemattically in sync so every time the outro on channel 1 starts, the intro on channel 2 will start, will explain more later.

sqook

Post by sqook » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:33 pm

blakejarrell wrote: i made a new template today in my notebook instead of paying attention in class today, will try it when i get home and post it. i think im gonna start splitting all my songs into sections and having them trigger with follow actions and have them all mathemattically in sync so every time the outro on channel 1 starts, the intro on channel 2 will start, will explain more later.
Quick suggestion; I think that using scenes would be a far better way to do this.

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:13 pm

what is bidule and μtonic?

blakejarrell

Post by blakejarrell » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:19 pm

sqook, please break it down for me exactly how your efx are running/assigned etc. i still dont understand exactly how you are getting your efx to over take the channel they are effecting instead of just washing over the tops of the channel with sends

also, the scene suggestion may be irrelevant, let me explain

ok think 2 audio channels, session view every song is 256 bars, divided into 6 sections:

Channel 1 (Song A)________Channel 2 (Song B)
Intro Beats (64 Bars)_______Same As Channel 1
Section 1 (32 Bars)_________"" ""
Section 2 (32 Bars)_________"" ""
Section 3 (32 Bars)_________"" ""
Section 4 (32 Bars)_________"" ""
Outro Beats (64 Bars)______"" ""

Ok at the very beggining of my set i would trigger channel ones song A chain, all have the follow action of starting the clip under it when complete. i would start the intro of song B simultaneous with the outro of song A. from that point on througout the rest of my set, track progression would be completely automated, i would simply have to mute the channel of the track that i did not want to be heard, and drag in the new song pieces of the next song that i want to play, which will start automatically as soon as the outro of the current song starts. this loop would continue indefinitely. making sense? triggering scenes would be too much mess when i could simply change the order of the sections within the song.

this is just a test tough, i will try the scenes method, but it seems like its too much to keep track of etc. with this method i use math to contain the chaos.

A DJ

Post by A DJ » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:31 pm

Toufas wrote:what is bidule and μtonic?
μtonic by sonic charge is a Drum and Percussion Synthesizer Plug-In

bidule i dont know that well but i think its sort off a way to set things up with live

sqook

Post by sqook » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:12 pm

blakejarrell wrote:sqook, please break it down for me exactly how your efx are running/assigned etc. i still dont understand exactly how you are getting your efx to over take the channel they are effecting instead of just washing over the tops of the channel with sends
Basically, I just made a return track (D) with no fx on it. It simply routes straight through to master. The mixer levels of all of my tracks remain static. Then, all of my audio clips are set to sends only, so to play a track normally, the level of send D (controlled by a vert fader) must be raised. To have the other fx sends (A, B, and C, all assigned to knobs on my midi controller for each respective channel) act as replacement filters, you just twist the knob for the effect you want while simultaneously dropping out the send D (master) channel to 0. It takes a bit of practice to do this while keeping your volume levels the same, but once you fiddle around with it, it's a very natural motion. This will send the track straight through to the given effect without outputting the "uneffected" (erm, for lack of a better word) signal anywhere else. Does that make more sense?
also, the scene suggestion may be irrelevant, let me explain
Yes, I think I misunderstood you. Interesting idea!

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:24 pm

sqook wrote: Basically, I just made a return track (D) with no fx on it. It simply routes straight through to master. The mixer levels of all of my tracks remain static. Then, all of my audio clips are set to sends only, so to play a track normally, the level of send D (controlled by a vert fader) must be raised. To have the other fx sends (A, B, and C, all assigned to knobs on my midi controller for each respective channel) act as replacement filters, you just twist the knob for the effect you want while simultaneously dropping out the send D (master) channel to 0. It takes a bit of practice to do this while keeping your volume levels the same, but once you fiddle around with it, it's a very natural motion. This will send the track straight through to the given effect without outputting the "uneffected" (erm, for lack of a better word) signal anywhere else. Does that make more sense?
this gave me an idea. what if there was an option in the preferences to automatically fade out the original output of a track as you send it to a return track? this way you wont have to choose "sends only" as the output of all your tracks and do what sqook is doing. not that anything is wrong with what your doing sqook, but i think that this would make it much much easier.
wat do you guys think?
: XP Pro Sp2 : 3.2GHz : 1GB RAM : Dell 8400 :
Live:Mawzer:Lemur:X-Station 25:I wish

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:30 pm

This all reads like stereo instructions without pictures.

I would really like to know how everyone runs their set-ups, so I can finally get my head around send/returns propperly.

I have a DJ setup that uses the QWERTY only, with room for MIDI...

• 2 channels for "Decks" assigned A/B (due to the lack of MIDI, otherwise I like to nix the shit xfader curve and use the vert channel faders via MIDI)
• 1 channel for loops/fills/pads. No x-fader assignment
• 1 channel for acapellas/1 offs.

Each has EQ3 (looking at using EQ4 a-la AdamJ)

SENDS have Simple Delay, Compression, Supatrigga :roll:

Main has Compression and EQ4 for flavor...
yet I never feel like I have it RIGHT...

I have a template and a PDF of the layout, but no where to post it to... unless someone else has room?
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.