All times are UTC

Post subject: Problems with the Ableton website
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:04 am 

The boxes on the front page mostly contain a row of blurred writing at the bottom. It looks a mess. Surely this is not deliberate?

Also, there is a little black box with an arrow pointing down. It disappears when you start to scroll. What is it's purpose, to tell you to scroll down? It seems pointless to me.

Post subject: Re: Problems with the Ableton website
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:03 am 

I don’t see a problem. The boxes are links. The writing fades implying there is more to read.

Little black box is simply an indication. Looks fine to me.

YMMV.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:36 am 

It's ugly but functional

The words Glass Houses and Stones come to mind.

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:42 am 

my god

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:11 pm 

crumhorn wrote:
It's ugly but functional

What? I was trying to be constructive not throw stones.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:13 pm 

gjm wrote:
I don’t see a problem. The boxes are links. The writing fades implying there is more to read.

Little black box is simply an indication. Looks fine to me.

YMMV.

Well the black box is obviously deliberate, but I did wonder if the writing fades were deliberate or not. But if you click on the black box the site scrolls about half an inch which seems a bit pathetic.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:25 pm 

Funk N. Furter wrote:
crumhorn wrote:
It's ugly but functional

What? I was trying to be constructive not throw stones.

OK sorry, but in the same constructive spirit, (but also at the risk of going off topic) regarding your site:

The dark background image makes it almost impossible to read the text - you have to constantly scroll up and down to get the bit you want to read onto the small area of lighter background.

On the drop down menus the popup tool tips obscure some of the menu options.

The DISQUS comments system kills my browser, thrashes the disk drive and completely locks up my computer for about half a minute. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=disqu ... y+computer

Personal taste wise - the powder blue background is nice and the link text colour goes nicely with it (though could be more saturated IMO) but the olive drab background colour fails (also IMO), I think it would look nicer if you used the same coulour as the link text.

Regarding Ableton's site:

I think ableton are trying to create a similar experience to a multi-panel iphone/android type app. try using your mouse to fling the top image left and right for example.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:05 pm 

I love how they took away the Forum links on the site!

Nice one!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:13 pm 

crumhorn wrote:
The dark background image makes it almost impossible to read the text - you have to constantly scroll up and down to get the bit you want to read onto the small area of lighter background.

Ok I realise that, but that image isn't permanent

crumhorn wrote:
On the drop down menus the popup tool tips obscure some of the menu options.

The popup descriptions? Don't they go if you move your cursor?

crumhorn wrote:
The DISQUS comments system kills my browser, thrashes the disk drive and completely locks up my computer for about half a minute. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=disqu ... y+computer

Hmm. I did look at swapping but everyone says different things, I'd need to be able to import old comments, don't wanna lose them again.

crumhorn wrote:
Personal taste wise - the powder blue background is nice and the link text colour goes nicely with it (though could be more saturated IMO) but the olive drab background colour fails (also IMO), I think it would look nicer if you used the same coulour as the link text.

You mean get rid of the green?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:53 pm 

Funk N. Furter wrote:

They do, but I still find them pretty annoying - mostly they just say exactly what the menu text says, but have a habit of appearing in front of other options so that you are forced to move the mouse to see what's behind.

Funk N. Furter wrote:

Hmm. I did look at swapping but everyone says different things, I'd need to be able to import old comments, don't wanna lose them again.

It's your choice but it does seem to create problems for many users. It's a neat idea though if they could just fix the problem.

Funk N. Furter wrote:

yes and make the link text a bit more saturated more like this maybe? but that is only a personal view - everyone is differenct when it comes to colour choice.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:39 pm 

crumhorn wrote:
Funk N. Furter wrote:

They do, but I still find them pretty annoying - mostly they just say exactly what the menu text says, but have a habit of appearing in front of other options so that you are forced to move the mouse to see what's behind.

I can see your point but I cant find out how to get rid of them

crumhorn wrote:
Funk N. Furter wrote:

It's your choice but it does seem to create problems for many users. It's a neat idea though if they could just fix the problem.

I did look at another one but there was no obvious way to import. Disqus is the most popular comments system so it can't be that widespread surely? I'm not averse to swapping to a new system if I can find one that I can import my comments safely to.

crumhorn wrote:
Funk N. Furter wrote:

yes and make the link text a bit more saturated more like this maybe? but that is only a personal view - everyone is differenct when it comes to colour choice.

Hmm.. maybe. I quite like the red. Not sure if the dark blue still works with it. I only just redid the colours, and the green was actually the first one I used, so it's a lot to get my head around.

The main headings are all in the blue, but it's done with css so dead easy to change