SLPlus (remote script for Novation SL)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Roman Sharov

Re: SL Ultimate Control (new custom script for Novation SL MkII)

Post by Roman Sharov » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:31 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Looks great, looking forward to trying it. I assume it works fine with the mkI?

I think the worst part of the regular script is that if you are controlling a device with multiple parameter pages, you have to step through them one at a time by pressing the buttons beside the LCD. With Push or the APCs, you can select the bank directly, which is a necessity. Having to push a button a whole bunch of times to get to a different bank is not good, need direct access. Does this new script address that? I think a shift modifier in device mode should let you directly enter a bank of parameters by hitting one of the buttons.

cheers
Currently MkI is not supported.
Both shift modifiers are mainly used for mode selection

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Thu May 02, 2013 5:14 am

Roman, I finally got this working. It's incredible. Thank you for all your effort in creating this.

I have one problem i'm having. When a stop a clip from the right side buttons, and I try to launch the same clip again from the clip launch buttons on the left, it doesn't launch.

Roman Sharov

Post by Roman Sharov » Thu May 02, 2013 11:31 am

when this happens, check if there are any error messages in the log ("RemoteScriptError: ...") and PM me pls, or just send me the whole file.
if i'm not mistaken, Log.txt located in /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live x.x.x/ on a mac

but first, download the script again, to be sure that you use the latest version with all fixes

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Thu May 02, 2013 8:46 pm

Roman Sharov wrote:when this happens, check if there are any error messages in the log ("RemoteScriptError: ...") and PM me pls, or just send me the whole file.
if i'm not mistaken, Log.txt located in /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live x.x.x/ on a mac

but first, download the script again, to be sure that you use the latest version with all fixes
Today this was working fine, I think it just froze up on me.

Had another question - I've noticed that the LED screen sometimes shows the Track info, i.e. track title. This is super helpful. Other times it seems to say "No Device Selected" or list device parameters for whatever track was selected. When this happened I would make sure it was not in Device Mode, yet it would still display Device info. I would love it if the default LED info was Track info.

I'm having more fun with this every time I use it. It makes this controller so much better.

Roman Sharov

Post by Roman Sharov » Fri May 03, 2013 2:39 pm

Do you mean the info message that appears for a few seconds when you selecting a track? if device was changed it shows the device info ("No Device Selected" - if device chain is empty), otherwise it will be only the name of the selected track. When it disappears, the display will show the parameters assigned to the encoders. I can remove device info message, but then you would not be able to see which device has been selected when switching tracks (you can see it only when switching devices)

Actually, I'm thinking about changing the concept of device and parameter bank selection. As glitchrock-buddha mentioned, it would be more usable to select the device or the parameter page directly (like on Push) instead of switching. In this case, P1 buttons can be used for switching mode for select buttons (for example: P1 Up - Track Selection Mode / P1 Down - Device Selection / P1 Up + P1 Down - Parameter Bank Selection) and select buttons can be used to select things depending on the selected mode. The only limitation is the number of select buttons, ie you can directly select only eight devices or banks of parameters.

jcrystal

Post by jcrystal » Fri May 03, 2013 8:06 pm

Does that mean it simply won't run with Mk1, or that certain elements don't work right? It would be great to get this going on my SL25...

Roman Sharov wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:Looks great, looking forward to trying it. I assume it works fine with the mkI?

I think the worst part of the regular script is that if you are controlling a device with multiple parameter pages, you have to step through them one at a time by pressing the buttons beside the LCD. With Push or the APCs, you can select the bank directly, which is a necessity. Having to push a button a whole bunch of times to get to a different bank is not good, need direct access. Does this new script address that? I think a shift modifier in device mode should let you directly enter a bank of parameters by hitting one of the buttons.

cheers
Currently MkI is not supported.
Both shift modifiers are mainly used for mode selection

Roman Sharov

Post by Roman Sharov » Fri May 03, 2013 10:38 pm

jcrystal wrote:Does that mean it simply won't run with Mk1, or that certain elements don't work right? It would be great to get this going on my SL25...
There are a few things need to be fixed. First of all, the buttons on the right side that will not work properly because of a separate transport section. Also, need to change the script to automatically reconfigure itself depending on the model (mkI or mkII) like the default script. May be something else. I'll try to do it

Roman Sharov

Post by Roman Sharov » Sat May 04, 2013 11:19 pm

added new version 1.05 with support for both mkI and mkII models. Not tested on MkI. Need your feedback

jcrystal

Post by jcrystal » Sun May 05, 2013 1:47 am

Roman Sharov wrote:added new version 1.05 with support for both mkI and mkII models. Not tested on MkI. Need your feedback
Will try to test tomorrow and report back.thanks for doing this!

jcrystal

Post by jcrystal » Sun May 05, 2013 4:22 pm

Roman Sharov wrote:added new version 1.05 with support for both mkI and mkII models. Not tested on MkI. Need your feedback
Have just finished a first pass, and everything seems to be working fine. The jpeg is for MkII so I"m doing some exploring. Transport controls on right side seem to work just as expected. Was there something specific you wanted tested? Thanks again for making this happen!

Jon

dave dominey

Post by dave dominey » Mon May 06, 2013 12:19 am

had a quick blast on my mkI earlier on
seems to be fine

really nice work
thanks

Mister_Nem

Re: SL Ultimate Control (new custom script for Novation SL)

Post by Mister_Nem » Thu May 23, 2013 11:44 pm

Roman! This is absolutely amazing dude!!!! It's like the SL MK II on steroids!!

You've smashed it! All the things that should have been in the original Ableton template (like Solo's) are now finally there along with a whole bunch of other stuff that I've always wished could be integrated but that I never thought we would see! The actual way that you've integrated it is amazing too. Everything is laid out in a very intuitive way, and even small details like the LCD feedback you've included is so much better than the default script from Novation (e.g. Group Tracks have a "-->" next to them when unfolded and a "*" when folded").

You sir, are a genius and extremely kind for taking the time to build this amazing script, share this with us all and tweak it based on feedback! Thank you so much, I owe you a few beers if you're ever down this way! :mrgreen:

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Fri May 24, 2013 3:15 am

what he said. i was literally getting ready to sell the 25SL and get an apc40 - now i'm keepin it. totally inspiring to work in ableton now with this thing. Roman where do you live dude? seriously wanna buy you drinks all night. you should set up a donations page.

phyxia

Post by phyxia » Fri May 24, 2013 11:58 pm

First of all thank you so much for making this. I'm not sure if it's the case for everyone else, but on my SLmkii 49 the encoders rotate live's parameters painfully slow when not in automap mode (both with the factory script and this one even after a factory reset). Does anyone else have similar problems or know of a fix?
-P.S. would I be able to get the source .py files? joshuatsimon1@gmail.com

moutainuser64

Post by moutainuser64 » Tue May 28, 2013 4:16 am

Hi,
I'm running ZeroSLMKII having problem with bank function
I have 24 audio tracks & 8 returns with i try to bank
by holding down preview and pressing page button it jumps to the end
eg(1-8 is highlited then i bank now Master is highlighted
should be 9-16 etc)
am I doing this wrong or what?
EDIT} also if I insert a midi track and select an instrument
I have control but display does not change cant see the paramerter names or values

is this script intended to work with the Zero sl mkii?
if so needs a lot of work but i see potensial
where can i learn ore about creating scripts?
tia

{EDIT} this only works in Live 8 - Tested on OSX and PC now....
pls Email me if things change
Last edited by moutainuser64 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.