SLPlus (remote script for Novation SL)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
elgrayso

Re: SLPlus (remote script for Novation SL)

Post by elgrayso » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:45 pm

Yes I must have missed that Ultimate Control PDF in the thread (i thought i read all of it!).

A lot of my confusion was because I thought people were using "ultimate control" and "slplus" interchangabely. I overlooked that SLplus doesnt exist yet, so its no wonder a lot of things didnt work when i tried following the SLPlus manual!

The main thing that kept throwing me off was when I tried to arm a track (button just under the track knob) and it wouldnt work. Must be a feature in SLPlus but not Ultimate.
An earlier commenter, amazingretropolis, seemed confused as how to arm the tracks as well. Now, after seeing this Ultimate manual, I see that you just double tap the top button. Nice!

elgrayso

Post by elgrayso » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:40 pm

Not figuring out how to arm the tracks actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise for me, as it forced me to learn how to setup ableton to auto-arm any track selected (like the Push does). There is a hidden preference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM-YIbnxRcY for this and I think it works well with Ultimate Control because as you select a track and are given the options of that track, notes you press correlate to the same track... which seems like the logical way to set it up. That way I won't be changing synth parameters and wondering why its not changing the sound, only to realize I have a different track selected than the one that is currently armed.
There is probably a very good reason some people don't want their tracks to be auto armed, but it seems like (for most people) it makes most sense to control the same track you are viewing the parameters of, especially in a live setting. Actually, I'm a bit curious on why people wouldn't like this to be the norm (like I said, I am sure there is a reason I havent thought of).

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:29 pm

Sometimes you want to deliberately be 'playing' one thing while 'controlling' another. This can be in a number of circumstances, like maybe you have a dummy clip channel, or you have an audio loops channel. Also 'select channel on clip launch' on or off in your workflow can determine if it is important.

If you have 3 controller devices, and maybe one dedicated to one channel, but the other two being open to freely move between channels, it can get really confusing because it is hard to exclude One of three as opposed to excluding All but one. Midi channels could maybe be used but still overall, it is crazy.

Actually, I see arm when selected to be more useful for home studio use than for live use. Because in that situation you would be deeply focused on a selected channel and not be concerned with the time realm element.

This 'feature' is actually one that sort of pisses a lot of push users off because it is automatic and cannot be deactivated.

elgrayso

Post by elgrayso » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:34 am

I see, yeah. If you wanted to play on a new instrument, but control parameters of one already playing on another track, for example.
I like the SLPlus idea of one button under each track to choose arming. The double tap is good also though.
Personally I think i'll leave the auto-arm track selection on for awhile, as I dig the Push style workflow and want to emulate it a bit on the SL MKii.

One difference with the Push is that it arms tracks with a "light red" highlight as opposed to solid red. Not sure what that means and it appears no one else really knows either (thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=193093)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:12 pm

Well, the weird thing about the light red is, I think that ONLY Push plays notes into the track, even with other keyboards connected (I could be wrong).

But, if you happen to have other tracks armed also, Push will play notes into those also.

elgrayso

Post by elgrayso » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:59 pm

for anyone interested, ive created a printable layout that labels some of the buttons for the Ultimate Control script.
its for the 25 key version. i will make one for the 49 key in the future.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/839 ... layout.jpg

urk aka boombleep

Post by urk aka boombleep » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:06 pm

Hello !

Any news on this awesome project ?
[-o-] Bass Music livesets from Paris ! ==> http://www.soundcloud.com/boombleep [-o-]

Donovan

Post by Donovan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:36 pm

Yes, I'd like to bump this too... Now the SL Ultimate Control script doesn't work in later versions of Live 9... I may attempt to fix it, but the SLPlus script would be even better.

Anyways, if the original poster is still listening, there's at least one other user who wouldn't mind the continued evolution of this brilliant script!

Cheers,

8) Donovan 8)

dr3v01ution

Post by dr3v01ution » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:00 pm

Me too. And if the uncompiled scripts of the new or old versions are available id like to try and get some functionality out of them as im currently using the "classic" version with limited functionality. Ive wrote some of my own simple scripts so i have some experience.

Thanks.

amazingretropolis

Post by amazingretropolis » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:20 am

BUMP! STILL Waiting for this!!!!!
? Þ?????? ? ??????? / ? ????†? ?

elgrayso

Post by elgrayso » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:26 am

dr3v01ution wrote:Me too. And if the uncompiled scripts of the new or old versions are available id like to try and get some functionality out of them as im currently using the "classic" version with limited functionality. Ive wrote some of my own simple scripts so i have some experience.

Thanks.
are you saying you managed to get Ultimate Control working in 9.2 (with limited functionality)? if so can you provide the scripts?

I don't even mind that SLPlus hasn't come out or may never come out. Ultimate control has a lot of functionality as is and would love to be able to at least get back to that! (although I wouldn't mind the SLPlus update either of course!)

dr3v01ution

Post by dr3v01ution » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:07 pm

elgrayso wrote:
dr3v01ution wrote:Me too. And if the uncompiled scripts of the new or old versions are available id like to try and get some functionality out of them as im currently using the "classic" version with limited functionality. Ive wrote some of my own simple scripts so i have some experience.

Thanks.
are you saying you managed to get Ultimate Control working in 9.2 (with limited functionality)? if so can you provide the scripts?

I don't even mind that SLPlus hasn't come out or may never come out. Ultimate control has a lot of functionality as is and would love to be able to at least get back to that! (although I wouldn't mind the SLPlus update either of course!)
well apparently i screwed up on a few accounts, the uncompiled scripts do come with it, and now its working with 9.2 after "reinstalling it". my guess is it need to be recompiled. so maybe you can try deleting the directories SL_Ultimate_Control and Extra_Device then copy the newest available version 107 from page one of this thread and restart live to see if that works.

Thanks again to roman for the tremendous amount of work for these scripts.

elgrayso

Post by elgrayso » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:52 pm

yes that worked for me also!
actually now that i think of it, i was using the alternate version that someone made that had that device browser in it. the real version works when i deleted and installed. :-)

tolgraven

Post by tolgraven » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:30 pm

Yeah I never had any issues whatsoever with either version all across late 9.1.x through 9.2.x.
Thought 9.5 had broken things at first, said "Ableton is offline" no matter what I did but yeah a few restarts and making it recompile seems to have made it come back to life :)

Sad there's no development happening but what already is has definitely made such an incredible difference for me these past couple years :) fucking fantastic seriously. I have it synced up to Launchpad95 AND two iPads running touchAble, with Launchsync, and can make all my devices zip around my sets in unison (incl in offset if need be) just by swiping on the iPad or using some knobs and buttons I've set up on my Alphatrack. Too cool!
Now to get a Push 2 and make it play nice with all my existing stuff...

elgrayso

Post by elgrayso » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:22 pm

tolgraven wrote:a few restarts and making it recompile seems to have made it come back to life
Can you explain what you did to get it working again? Mine is now without functionality and it also put my Maschine MK2 remote script out of commission. Would love to be able to use them again!