SLPlus (remote script for Novation SL)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Roman Sharov

Re: SL Ultimate Control (new custom script for Novation SL MkII)

Post by Roman Sharov » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:01 am

for Mac OS path is different /Applications/... Ableton Folder .../Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/

(just to be sure) Did you scroll the list down? ZERO8 is the last thing, right?

Try to create an empty folder, for example, with the name AAAAA. Then restart Live. Does it appear in the list?

Roman Sharov

Post by Roman Sharov » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:05 pm

added version for Live 8

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:58 pm

ah, that's why it wasn't working properly (got it to show up finally). BUT - I'm not able to d/l the Live 8 version. I'm getting "sending request" but that's as far as it gets to downloading.

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:59 pm

okay! looks like it worked this time.

thatMcFlyGuy

Post by thatMcFlyGuy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:43 pm

boderekstits wrote: I'm not able to d/l the Live 8 version. I'm getting "sending request" but that's as far as it gets to downloading.
I'm having the same problem here. Any ideas?

Roman Sharov

Post by Roman Sharov » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:19 am

sorry, i have no idea what the problem is. I've uploaded the files to another file hosting. Try the alternative link

chocolatemousse

Post by chocolatemousse » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi there. This is truly AWESOME, and I am EXTREMELY grateful for your hard work. I am anxious to get this sucker to work, but I am having an issue. I am an Ableton Live 8 user (v. 8.2.1), using an SL MKII 49, and using Windows 7.

None of the buttons, encoders, pan pots, or faders are functioning for Mixer or Device parameters in Live (i.e. I have no script functionality). The first 8 parameter names do appear on the LED screen, and these parameter values are updated if I change a value in Live using the mouse. Also parameter focus on the LED display does change when I touch the various encoders (i.e. brackets appear around the parameter name and value). However when moving encoders/pan pots/faders etc. on the SL MK II itself, parameter values do not change in Live nor on the LED screen. Furthermore, no other script functions are available.

Not sure whether the issue lies with:
1) the script (noticed that Live 8 script was only posted 3 days ago and not a lot of replies since then)
2) not selecting the correct Advanced Template on the MKII (I assume it should be on the Ableton template) via the speed dial Template section
3) My preferences under MIDISYNC. I have the following selected:

Control Surface: 'SL Ultimate Control'
Input: 'MIDIIN2 (3- SL MKII)'
Output: 'MIDIOUT2 (3- SL MKII)'

Midi Ports:

Input 3- SL MKII Track: ON Sync: OFF Remote: ON
Input SL_Ultimate_Control Input (MIDIIN2... Track: ON Sync: OFF Remote: ON
Output 3- SL MKII Track: ON Sync: ON Remote: OFF
Output SL_Ultimate Control Output (MINIOUT2... Track: ON Sync: OFF Remote: ON

Help please!!!

Tibo2004

Post by Tibo2004 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:42 am

Hi,
looks very nice but remote keeps showing Ableton is OFFLINE ???
any idea what the problem might be?
thanks
--------------

chocolatemousse

Post by chocolatemousse » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:40 am

None of the buttons, encoders, pan pots, or faders are functioning for Mixer or Device parameters in Live (i.e. I have no script functionality). The first 8 parameter names do appear on the LED screen, and these parameter values are updated if I change a value in Live using the mouse. Also parameter focus on the LED display does change when I touch the various encoders (i.e. brackets appear around the parameter name and value). However when moving encoders/pan pots/faders etc. on the SL MK II itself, parameter values do not change in Live nor on the LED screen. Furthermore, no other script functions are available.
After spending more time with the script for Live 8, I see that what I wrote above is not completely true - the script does work until using a Device in Live. My apologies for the confusion. Let me clarify:

Immediately after opening a new project, the script functions properly. All Right side functions seem to be working. Most left side functions work (e.g. Track, Pan and Send Encoder Modes).

However, once an Ableton Device (Instrument or Effect) is inserted into a track and I enter the ENCODER DEVICE MODE, the script seems to freeze, and all script functionality is lost as described above.

Roman, I look forward to your reply...

And thanks again, by the way, for your effort and generosity in creating and sharing the scripts.

Roman Sharov

Post by Roman Sharov » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:26 am

chocolatemousse, is the one thing I did not describe. Rotary controls are assigned different ports in different modes (to be able to use an unnecessary mode for manual assignment of parameters). I don't know exactly how this is related, but it seems that is the cause of the problem. Anyway, i removed this feature (until I find another solution).

Redownload the script (updated both versions)
Please, let me know if the problem still occurs

Tibo2004, can you pm me your log.txt file (primarily, an error strings that begin with "RemoteScriptError:")? (it can be found in C:\Users\...username...\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live x.x.x\Preferences on Win7 or C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Ableton\Live x.x.x\Preferences on WinXP)

chocolatemousse

Post by chocolatemousse » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:55 pm

chocolatemousse, is the one thing I did not describe. Rotary controls are assigned different ports in different modes (to be able to use an unnecessary mode for manual assignment of parameters). I don't know exactly how this is related, but it seems that is the cause of the problem. Anyway, i removed this feature (until I find another solution).

Redownload the script (updated both versions)
Please, let me know if the problem still occurs
Roman - I downloaded the updated script for Live 8, however the problem persists. Everything is fine until a Live Device has been inserted into a track and I enter the script's ENCODER DEVICE MODE. At this point the script freezes as it did before.

Roman Sharov

Post by Roman Sharov » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:19 am

chocolatemousse wrote: Roman - I downloaded the updated script for Live 8, however the problem persists. Everything is fine until a Live Device has been inserted into a track and I enter the script's ENCODER DEVICE MODE. At this point the script freezes as it did before.
there are any error messages in a log.txt? (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live x.x.x\Preferences)
which modes is active when you insert the device? (encoder and pot modes)

chocolatemousse

Post by chocolatemousse » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:54 am

there are any error messages in a log.txt? (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live x.x.x\Preferences)
which modes is active when you insert the device? (encoder and pot modes)
The script freezes regardless of the active ENCODER MODE (I have tried inserting a Device while in active DEVICE ENCODER MODE and TRACK ENCODER MODE, with the same result). The active POT MODE was whatever the default is when the script loads (i.e. I did not select a POT MODE before inserting the Device).

I will PM you the log.txt file.

Roman Sharov

Post by Roman Sharov » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:43 am

added important fix for live 8 version

unfortunately, the script is not compatible with older Live 8 versions (required 8.3.4 or higher)

chocolatemousse, check pm please

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:46 pm

Looks great, looking forward to trying it. I assume it works fine with the mkI?

I think the worst part of the regular script is that if you are controlling a device with multiple parameter pages, you have to step through them one at a time by pressing the buttons beside the LCD. With Push or the APCs, you can select the bank directly, which is a necessity. Having to push a button a whole bunch of times to get to a different bank is not good, need direct access. Does this new script address that? I think a shift modifier in device mode should let you directly enter a bank of parameters by hitting one of the buttons.

cheers
Professional Shark Jumper.