Losing Mouse Pointer - Live 9 + Windows 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
J Roach

Losing Mouse Pointer - Live 9 + Windows 8

Post by J Roach » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:49 pm

Just got a new laptop, running Windows 8 and upgraded to Live 9. Finding that fairly frequently my mouse cursor seems to vanish in the Live window. It's still there if I minimise and I can move it about within Live and still click on things.... just can't actually see where the pointer is and what I'm clicking on. Only returns when I close and restart Live. Is this a problem with Live 9 (never had it with L8), a problem with Windows 8 or is there something else I'm missing? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated since it's rather annoying. :?

3dot...

Re: Losing Mouse Pointer - Live 9 + Windows 8

Post by 3dot... » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:41 am

doesn't happen here with a similar setup
are you using the laptop pad ? or a mouse ?
this happens only in live?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:21 pm

This isn't a solution to your problem, but it might make mouse pointer searching easier.

In my windows setup I actually went out of the way to change the pointer setting so the the pointer is almost comically huge.

Sometimes I work in a glare or other weird shit. And it is easy to lose the mouse at times. You get used to it being bigger haha.

matthewvenn

Post by matthewvenn » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:05 pm

bump
live 9.1 & push

PantsDown

Post by PantsDown » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:31 am

Not sure if this is the same thing you are experiencing but it threw me for a couple of times until I realised what it was doing.

I'm using Abe 9 Standard and Win8. When I go to move a channel fader, I move the mouse to the fader, click and hold the mouse button and the pointer disappears, as long as I keep the mouse button pressed down I can move the fader up and down to where I want and then when I release the mouse button the pointer reappears.

Im guessing its so that you can see the fader / level clearly whilst adjusting it without the pointer getting in the way.

Apologies in advance if this is really old news (prob been in since day 1 and I've never noticed) or not your issue but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Regards

Patrick

störgeräusche

Post by störgeräusche » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:57 pm

i had the same issue on win7 Pro 64 bit and live 9.1 32 bit.
seem to recall that is some NDIVIA compatibility problem, not sure tho.
ctrl S and a 5 min break to let my ears cool down -but still, it sucks when it happens in these magic moments.

did a fresh OS install after upgrading to an SSD and installed latest drivers of everything, problem seem to be gone, but it's just two weeks. let's see.
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

tkarmakid

Post by tkarmakid » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:58 am

This happened to me tonight too. I just upgraded to Live 9 too. I hope it wont be a regular thing.

störgeräusche

Post by störgeräusche » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:40 pm

which video card do you have?
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

tkarmakid

Post by tkarmakid » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:47 am

Ok, this has happened to me 4 times today and I have to restart live every time. I cant get any work done. I have windows 8.1 64 bit. NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M. What is causing this? :x

tkarmakid

Post by tkarmakid » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:52 am

Ok, I'm still having this issue. It doesn't happen too often, but it sucks when it does. It happens mostly during sessions when I am making duplicate clips in session view. I make lots and lots of duplicates - its part of my workflow - and during these sessions it almost inevitably happens. I have to restart live, which takes like tens minutes, because Live often crashes when I try to close it.

:x

Fix this please!!!

djorno

Post by djorno » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:29 pm

Have an Nvidia card as well. Been running the latest beta. This is going from a minor annoyance to a major workflow obstacle. Needs to be fixed!

Kent_in_CO

Post by Kent_in_CO » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:21 pm

I had this same issue several years ago. It turns out it was somehow related to the driver of the Logitech mouse I was using.
Hong Kong: 2050 A.D. You're about to inject a dose of mind-altering nanobots. This is the soundtrack to your trip. https://seven7hwave.bandcamp.com/album/cyberia

tkarmakid

Post by tkarmakid » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:11 pm

In the latest version of Live, 9.1.5, this is happening more than ever. I can barely go 5 minutes without the pointer disappearing. Every time it does I have to restart (we all know how long that takes). I cant get anything done. Ableton, please fix this.

BeyondEclectic

Post by BeyondEclectic » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:15 am

Hello, I'm not sure if you're still needing help with the mouse cursor disappearing, but what I came across today, was that if your touchpad is enabled AND you're using a mouse, the cursor will probably disappear. I didn't have an issue using mouse only, but once I enabled my touchpad and still used the mouse, this problem occurred. I disabled the touchpad again and it hasn't disappeared yet. (fingers crossed). Hope this helps!

Edit: I'm on Live 10 and this was still an issue. This resolved my issue for now.