Are there changes/additions planned for Live 9 Browser?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
zeepster

Are there changes/additions planned for Live 9 Browser?

Post by zeepster » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:10 pm

Well after Live 9 release, and well after some heavy discussions about the browser, i would like to know what Abes intentions / plans are with it??

Been working with 9 more but i can't get over the terrible browser.
-You can't just browse to a folder anymore. This is hands down the most annoying 'feature'.
-Everytime you've browsed somewhere Live 9 closes all the other folder trees again, unless you painstakingly CTRL-Click EVERYTHING.
-Which is rendered useless when you quit/restart. Then everything is closed again.
-You can't have two projects 'near' each other in the same sub folder, because then Live 9 doesn't see one of them. In Live 8 this is no problem at all. (Save a project in a folder "xx". Now copy another project in the "xx" folder and go there with Live 9's browser. Normally you can "open" a project file and see all tracks. In 9 you can only see the tracks for one of the projects, the other one is invisible. Probably because Push can't handle it otherwise.)

I'm starting to strongly dislike working with the Live 9 browser. This is very counterproductive, i don't want negative feelings when i'm in a creative process.

The arrangement screen background grid is also too low in contrast. The lines are too vague and no skin fixes that. Neither do the Brightness etc settings.

Apart from the indexing. I don't even care about that anymore. What other changes are planned? I do hope you're not planning to leave it amputated like it is now, unable to browse even the simplest map without going through the import steps... What is there a wav on my desktop? Can't browse there, no i have to import and index the desktop. Oh do i have some sounds on a usb stick, can't just browse there, nope, import it first, now you can browse...

zeepster

Re: Are there changes/additions planned for Live 9 Browser?

Post by zeepster » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi,
Funk N. Furter wrote:
zeepster wrote: -You can't just browse to a folder anymore. This is hands down the most annoying 'feature'.
You can, if it's in Places. You can also browse to all the Ableton folders in Places too. I'm sure you know that though. The way I look at it is that indexing is a small price to pay for instant searches.
I know. I guess most people would agree that if you want to BROWSE, a normal hierarchy browser gets you to where you want to go faster than having to import the folder(s) you want to browse first, and then browse to there again through Live 9. What if i only wanted to cheack for a sound there? Now i've imported a map i need to delete again. All those steps, instead of a quick-browse-listen.
Funk N. Furter wrote:
zeepster wrote: -Everytime you've browsed somewhere Live 9 closes all the other folder trees again, unless you painstakingly CTRL-Click EVERYTHING.
Not sure I follow this, it doesn't happen to me as far as I know, can you give an example? What version of Live are you on?
I mean i.e.: Open Live 9. Go to Audio Effects. Open the Autopan folder, now scoll below and open the Beatrepeat folder. Autopan closes.
This happens everywhere in Live 9. In Live 8 this never happened. There, every folder you opened stayed open, even after program Quit & Restart. Very practical.

I'm willing to post and email everywhere when i know Ableton listens (and responds) there. In the Beta forum it seems they didn't listen to people's troubles with the Browser such as the ones i mentioned, and went ahead with this current browser.

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:31 pm

zeepster wrote:I guess most people would agree that if you want to BROWSE, a normal hierarchy browser gets you to where you want to go faster than having to import the folder(s) you want to browse first, and then browse to there again through Live 9.
AMEN.

I really don't understand how this can even be argued at all, it's so crystal clear that this one of the biggest disadvantages of the new browser.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:13 pm

Ableton has a Monopoly on this type of DAW... And they have made it crystal clear they they have absolutely no intentions on answering or discussing anything that they are not interested in answering or discussing!!!

So All of you people who don't like the crappy browser, or not having split screens to improve your work flow, or are still having timing issues with no PDC, Or you people crying about not having proper time stretch in the samplers, or having issue with the quality control of the PUSH machines non-uniformed color display or pad sensitivity, or any of you complaining about how crappy the sound packs are, or the tons of people having midi controller problems suddenly, or you people with your damn rewire incompatibilities or lack of plug in support, and you people having proplems finding the perfect samples that will actually work with audio-to-midi..... You all need to just shut your faces up because it's "Not an Issue"... Deal with it, go cry someplace else! (But buy your copy of Live 9 first so you can beta test it for another year)

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:57 pm

Bump for this godforsaken browser

LET US BROWSE NORMAL PLEASE!
Last edited by zeepster on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 102455 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:19 pm

What we need are OPTIONS, Ableton.

Options are good. They provide us with choices.

Give us the OPTION of a "retro mode" that switches back to the old browser style.

Provide an OPTION for which folders/files to add to the database.

Provide an OPTION to turn the database off for those who don't like it.

Alternatively have the browser automatically engage "Push mode" when a Push is connected. When no Push is detected, use the old style.

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:31 pm

They wont remove the database. We will have to live with it. There currently working on improving the performance of the indexing.
They have have said this in another very long thread about the browser.

My suggestion would have to have 2 seperate browser. One with indexing and one without.
Of course the unindexed browser would not be avaible with the push since it seems required for it.

That way ableton can keep working on the indexing witch there unwilling to give up, and the user get to choose how they like to work. Cant imagine it would be that hard to use what they allready have programmed (live 8 browser).

No complete rewrite to be done. Just a tack on of a simple option

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 am

beatz01 wrote:
zeepster wrote:I guess most people would agree that if you want to BROWSE, a normal hierarchy browser gets you to where you want to go faster than having to import the folder(s) you want to browse first, and then browse to there again through Live 9.
AMEN.

I really don't understand how this can even be argued at all, it's so crystal clear that this one of the biggest disadvantages of the new browser.
Simple.
The idea is that you put your favourite folders in "places" ONCE and then you can browse very quickly from there every time. You don't have to import the folder every time you want to browse it.
In Windows or OSX, for 99% of my browsing in the file system I will use favourite/shortcut from the sidebar in Explorer/Finder as the start point as well.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:29 am

I hafta say that though it was a schlepp in the beginning and very unfamiliar, I am getting used to it. Once I can set up my favourite folders in the Places section I am good to go.

The only changes I want are

(1) ability to import subfolders of the Live 8 library into my Places. This is due to my own stupidity in putting samples in there back in the day...

(2) ability to audit my own presets. Surely this should be possible with a bit of prep on the user's part

Other than that I think it is great. I understand some people have problems with indexing, but that is a solvable problem and I am certain Abes will sort it out... evenshualeeeeeeeee....

gosinisha

Post by gosinisha » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:41 am

i see that since they released v8 ableton is just working hard on destroying this nice soft, adding crap, not implementing the most important trend features and finally making it useless. they're almost there, version 10 - destroyed.
thinkpadT520/win7.64/studioONE2/firefaceUC/akaiMPKmini/VSTinstruments/sampleCDs

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:35 am

Destroying it how?

I am spending every evening these days, hours, making music and having fun. What's been destroyed?