All times are UTC

Post subject: Sends bleeding issue - your advice?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:01 pm 

Hi guys. Currently working on a project and have come across a little problem which may be solved quickly but I haven't found a solution as yet, maybe somebody can pitch in.

Basically I have a drum group, which contains a hi hat loop in it, which I'm sending some stereo widening to via a return track. I've activated the send on the hat loop channel, NOT the drum group / Bus.

Now, when I want to automate that group with a filter in the mix, I'll get everything filtering down, except that hat loop's send signal, which bleeds over the top. I think I get why it's not filtering out, because it's not going to the bus, but I can't figure out how to resolve this. I figure it must be something to do with routing but I'm not sure.

So the question is....how can I use individual send settings for the tracks within my groups, which won't bleed over what I'm trying to do with the bus / group track when I want to add FX in the mix:?:

Help greatly appreciated :wink:

Post subject: Re: Sends bleeding issue - your advice?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:40 pm 

I can think of at least 3 ways to fix your problem, but I beleive the most effencient one would be scrap the return track and create a rack on the hit hat loop track so you can add your widening effect on one chain and leave the other dry.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:53 am 

Dragonbreath wrote:
I can think of at least 3 ways to fix your problem, but I beleive the most effencient one would be scrap the return track and create a rack on the hit hat loop track so you can add your widening effect on one chain and leave the other dry.

Good idea.....thanks :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:56 am 

Dragonbreath wrote:

Although....I still have the same problem for all my other sends when I want to automate anything at that stage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:57 pm 

Cant really help you without more details...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:51 pm 

your HH is sent to the aux before it hits the (filtrerd)group channel.. so it obviously won't be filtered...
btw .. "bleed" is bad terminology here...

put a separate filter on the HH or the return..

also...
if the HH is the only track you're sending to the "widening" return..
then I would get rid of it altogether and put the fx on the actual HH track and dry/wet it...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:10 pm 

Dragonbreath wrote:
Cant really help you without more details...

What I mean is I have several other tracks that I've grouped / bussed, but I don't want to use the send dial for the bus, rather the track dial instead, because there are other tracks in the same group that I don't want the same amount of send signal to apply to. Therefore I'm having the same problem with these tracks...

I'm thinking I'll filter down all my return tracks at the same time to avoid it but never remember having to do this in Cubase before switching to Live.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:13 pm 

3dot... wrote:
your HH is sent to the aux before it hits the (filtrerd)group channel.. so it obviously won't be filtered...
btw .. "bleed" is bad terminology here...

put a separate filter on the HH or the return..

also...
if the HH is the only track you're sending to the "widening" return..
then I would get rid of it altogether and put the fx on the actual HH track and dry/wet it...

I figured that's what was happening - my answer to Dragon above is what you're talking about I think. The widening is used on a few tracks besides the HH, which are also bussed, so I have the same problem. Also have other effects like standard reverbs and delays on my returns doing the same. Basically several instances