Drum Rack with Microtonic, Designed for Push

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glitchrock-buddha

Re: Drum Rack with Microtonic, Designed for Push

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:48 pm

I don't actually have microtonic, but it's the same principle for any multi-out multi-timbral plug-in. Also I just use 64bit. Maybe someone with microtonic and M4L could throw one together.
Professional Shark Jumper.

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:43 pm

That would be awesome, because I cannot get it to work before the External Instrument for each of the 7 drum chains of Microtonic. :(

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:01 pm

locojohn wrote:That would be awesome, because I cannot get it to work before the External Instrument for each of the 7 drum chains of Microtonic. :(

Andrejs
Get what to work? 16 macros device? Are you using the midi fx version? That's what you need to put it before an instrument device, not the audio fx version.

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:27 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
locojohn wrote:That would be awesome, because I cannot get it to work before the External Instrument for each of the 7 drum chains of Microtonic. :(

Andrejs
Get what to work? 16 macros device? Are you using the midi fx version? That's what you need to put it before an instrument device, not the audio fx version.
Yes, I put the "Sixteen Macros 2.0" MIDI Effect BEFORE each External Instrument on the corresponding drum channel (chains 2-8). But how can I instruct it to dynamically control corresponding set of MIDI parameters on the main Microtonic VSTI located on the main chain? It's really hard to explain, I guess I am confused here.

I wish someone posted a small Live project demonstrating how it's possible to display different sets of Device parameters (per drum pad) when activating corresponding drum pad with Push..

Andrejs
/*
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:48 pm

locojohn wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:

Andrejs
Yes, I put the "Sixteen Macros 2.0" MIDI Effect BEFORE each External Instrument on the corresponding drum channel (chains 2-8). But how can I instruct it to dynamically control corresponding set of MIDI parameters on the main Microtonic VSTI located on the main chain? It's really hard to explain, I guess I am confused here.

I wish someone posted a small Live project demonstrating how it's possible to display different sets of Device parameters (per drum pad) when activating corresponding drum pad with Push..

Andrejs
Well the parameters being active when you select a pad is automatic, there's nothing to learn there. You need to map 16 macros knobs to a device's parameters by hitting configure on the plug-in and making sure all the parameters are configured (ie. they have to show up in the parameter view of the device). Then you need to learn a knob to one of those sliders in that view. See if you can find a 16 macros tutorial on youtube, there used to be one.

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:58 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote: Well the parameters being active when you select a pad is automatic, there's nothing to learn there. You need to map 16 macros knobs to a device's parameters by hitting configure on the plug-in and making sure all the parameters are configured (ie. they have to show up in the parameter view of the device). Then you need to learn a knob to one of those sliders in that view. See if you can find a 16 macros tutorial on youtube, there used to be one.
The plug-in itself (the only instance) is located in the chain 1. It's only there where I am able to configure all parameters for the (Microtonic) device. Yes, I can configure all MIDI parameters for all drum channels there, but I cannot seem to find out how could a Sixteen Macros MIDI effect placed in another chain before the External Instrument midi-learn a knob of the Microtonic device located in the chain 1? Maybe you could explain it to me in more detail? Or maybe you misunderstood my issue? Or maybe I am still confused.

Andrejs
/*
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 pm

locojohn wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote: Well the parameters being active when you select a pad is automatic, there's nothing to learn there. You need to map 16 macros knobs to a device's parameters by hitting configure on the plug-in and making sure all the parameters are configured (ie. they have to show up in the parameter view of the device). Then you need to learn a knob to one of those sliders in that view. See if you can find a 16 macros tutorial on youtube, there used to be one.
The plug-in itself (the only instance) is located in the chain 1. It's only there where I am able to configure all parameters for the (Microtonic) device. Yes, I can configure all MIDI parameters for all drum channels there, but I cannot seem to find out how could a Sixteen Macros MIDI effect placed in another chain before the External Instrument midi-learn a knob of the Microtonic device located in the chain 1? Maybe you could explain it to me in more detail? Or maybe you misunderstood my issue? Or maybe I am still confused.

Andrejs
No you have it right. The 16 macros device can learn a parameter from any track, not just the chain or track it's on. You could learn to the master volume if you want on the master track. Or sends from another track. I haven't used it in a while but I believe you hit learn on 16 macros and then click the parameter you want to learn it to. I think there is a fast way as well where it lets you successively click a bunch of parameters and it learns them to consecutive 16 macros knobs.

Did you even try to search for the video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CcePuhkLCc

Captain Johnson

Post by Captain Johnson » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:37 am

nebulae wrote:^ No, I created it in L9, so it won't open in L8.
Any chance of L8 version?? :D

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:47 am

Captain Johnson wrote:
http://soniccharge.com/forum/index.php? ... eton-live/

Andrejs
/*
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

rishi

Post by rishi » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:19 pm

I hacked together a collection of 4max midi effects to control the selected pad in uTonic. ( ie: started with and edited a device called ExternalMidiControl)

In my setup one instance of uTonic is used in a Drum Rack with external instrument devices to route midi and audio for the other parts. So you can select the part with the Push in Drum Mode and then edit all parameters on the Push in Device Mode.

I split the devices into 4 so each device controls a different section of the uTonic part - Mixer, Oscillator, Noise, & Velocity. Each device is labeled and each parameter in the device appears on the Push screen so you dont need the GUI up to edit parts. (I expect you could use this with Neb's set up so long as each instance of uTonic had the uTonic midi config set up correctly)

Heres the device chain with the 4 max midi effects that sits before the drum rack

here's how the parameters appear on the Push....
You can see the 1st four devices are the max devices to control uTonic. uDrums is the rack, uPadFX is an FX Rack for the selected Pad and Rack FX is an FX Rack for the whole Drum Rack.

You can download the project, including uTonic midi config, max devices and drum rack and fx rack etc here: http://soundtemple.com.au/shop/utoniccontrol/
Its a cart thing and will ask for details but they arent mandatory. It will however, send me a little message to say someone download my thing and that excites me very much :-)

Captain Johnson

Post by Captain Johnson » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:52 pm

locojohn wrote:
Captain Johnson wrote:
http://soniccharge.com/forum/index.php? ... eton-live/

Andrejs
:mrgreen:

Leax

Post by Leax » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:52 pm

rishi wrote:I hacked together a collection of 4max midi effects to control the selected pad in uTonic. ( ie: started with and edited a device called ExternalMidiControl)

In my setup one instance of uTonic is used in a Drum Rack with external instrument devices to route midi and audio for the other parts. So you can select the part with the Push in Drum Mode and then edit all parameters on the Push in Device Mode.

You can download the project, including uTonic midi config, max devices and drum rack and fx rack etc here: http://soundtemple.com.au/shop/utoniccontrol/
Its a cart thing and will ask for details but they arent mandatory. It will however, send me a little message to say someone download my thing and that excites me very much :-)
Hi, I just discovered your work (as well as Nebulae's, thx as well !), I find it awesome ! That's definitely the kind of hack for Push that I was expecting.
I didn't go deeply into your uPad effects but it sounded good, a nice bonus.

One problem though, I found great that you could edit the parameters for each of the 8 drums of micro tonic, but (correct me if I am wrong) I realized that every time I was switching to an other drum, the values of the knobs of the Push were not updated. Worse, I was basically losing the former value if I wanted to modify it with the related knob.

Is it a problem related to Live, or a mistake from my side maybe ?

rishi

Post by rishi » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:33 pm

In this set up the rack sends midi cc data to the selected pad but does not get updated when you select a new pad.

I made an alternative rack where each pad had its own rack, but still they didn't update if I changed a parameter on the utonic GUI.

This is also the same if you hard map parameters to macro's

For best feedback and updating I recommend using the config button on the utonic device and adding parameters. This way you get feedback and updating. It even shows detail like frequency in Hz. Waveforms appear as the word Eg "Sine" rather than just a number between 0-127. You can re-order them so they show up on the Push in a sensible way but it's manual and you can fit all the uTonic parameters on as there is more than 127.

Pro's n Cons!

Leax

Post by Leax » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:39 am

Thanks for your reply rishi.
I heard about this Live macros limitation (informations only go one way to Live, can't update Push) before, but I though maybe there was a way to update Push with M4L :P
(I tried to get into your patch to have a better understanding of what it does but I'm still solo lame at Max !)

I guess I will finally switch to Neb's patch, with some modifications (like deleting the macros first).

rishi

Post by rishi » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:38 am

Leax wrote:Thanks for your reply rishi.
I heard about this Live macros limitation (informations only go one way to Live, can't update Push) before, but I though maybe there was a way to update Push with M4L :P
(I tried to get into your patch to have a better understanding of what it does but I'm still solo lame at Max !)

I guess I will finally switch to Neb's patch, with some modifications (like deleting the macros first).
I gave it a go today and made a rack using 8 instances of uTonic. Each instance is configured across 4 banks - Mixer, Oscilator, Noise and Extras. No Max devices, no macro mapping. Any changes in the uTonic GUI update on the Push and all parameters appear with correct detail rather than a number between 0-127. I added it to the download with the Max Version.