All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why are keyboard controllers so terrible?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:51 pm 

Angstrom wrote:
Matt_Quinn wrote:
I've had a mighty disappointing experience with this company, so I can not in good conscience recommend any of their products, but this sort of sounds like some of the things you are talking about.

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/qunexus/overview

Well, if Jordan Rudess endorses it, then surely it cannot be bad ;)

Actually, I don't like the look of that thing. It looks like a glowing Casio VLtone "keyboard" for someone who doesn't play keyboard. It's the equivalent of a GuitarHero guitar

One of the McMillen product reps lives a couple blocks from me, so I've gotten to play with the QuNexus quite a bit already. I for one thought it was amazing, can't wait to get mine. It's light and bendy, but still feels solid and is remarkably expressive. I think it will likely replace my MPK25 in fact. Very excited for this to get released.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:57 pm 

Tarekith wrote:
jlgrimes wrote:
I would wish that controller manufacturers actually put some emphasis on some controllers with actual good key action. Most controllers I've worked with action is either too light or too clunky.

A-Freaking-Men! This has been driving me crazy for years, too many cheap midi contollers and not enough small but solid controllers with decent key beds.

I think that they all want to make their product look like a spaceship control panel! It looks great in the shop, much easier to sell than a keybed, or a per-key lateral sensor.

When it comes to products and profits there are millions of hot-headed young first timers with $150 to spend, who will be seduced by what appears to be an all-in one product which uploads directly to Beatport/Facebook. "Pro" is aspirational rather than descriptive on these controllers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:07 pm 

What i don't get:

Why do most of the new keyboard controllers lack aftertouch ? Is it such a technically difficult thing to implement ? Too expensive ?

Honestly, although quite a number of controllers look interesting to me (Launchkey, Alesis range, Oxygen etc.) they all miss aftertouch, so no way i'd buy them.

AFTERTOUCH I SAY !!

:x :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:10 pm 

RE: aftertouch ... apparently not!

Here's one which I noticed when thinking about my actual needs in playing, which is per key modulation. Per-key modulation is probably is best addressed by poly-aftertouch.

So here's CME's $99 'Apple-style' poly-at Portable keyboard.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/ ... -keyboard/

Not exactly what I'm after, but interesting. Of course, Ableton and Poly-AT do not go together. However, I do own other DAWs, so that's OK.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:18 pm 

Your're doing it wrong. MIDI controllers are rubbish so don't buy one - instead by a synth you can use as a controller. That's what I did. FTW.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:28 pm 

Sorry that this isn't entirely on topic but

Every now an then I like to pop in and express my longing wish for the Keith McMillen crew to make a qwerty style keyboard, except with their snazzy pressure/midi features! I'd love to be able to quickly switch between typing and control/playing :P

Last edited by yur2die4 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:35 pm 

Angstrom wrote:
RE: aftertouch ... apparently not!

Here's one which I noticed when thinking about my actual needs in playing, which is per key modulation. Per-key modulation is probably is best addressed by poly-aftertouch.

So here's CME's $99 'Apple-style' poly-at Portable keyboard.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/ ... -keyboard/

Not exactly what I'm after, but interesting. Of course, Ableton and Poly-AT do not go together. However, I do own other DAWs, so that's OK.

It is a sad irony that Push has PolyAT but Live cannot use it. Perhaps when Bitwig comes out :-/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:36 pm 

For the price of one of the evo keyboards you could probably pick up the parts to build something like this: http://londonfuse.ca/video/repurposed-p ... d-keyboard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:52 pm 

You can always strap one of these bad boys to your finger while playing a boring keyboard....
http://youtu.be/WyNDWZhYZ3U

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:15 pm 

Angstrom wrote:
8O wrote:
Buy one and tell me what it's like. :)

the 49 key version is £725 in UK money, but I'm going to investigate this and have a think about it. It looks like the perfect keyboard to indulge Vangelis fantasies on.

hey!
i have one for sale!
the big version. i rarely used it so it just stands around!
i can make you a good price just PM me
all the best, andreas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:47 pm 

dazzer wrote:
Your're doing it wrong. MIDI controllers are rubbish so don't buy one - instead by a synth you can use as a controller. That's what I did. FTW.

Cheers

for example?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:45 am 

The Virus TI2 61-key Keyboard was the best key bed I've ever used, I almost kept it for that reason alone :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:57 am 

Tarekith wrote:
Angstrom wrote:
Matt_Quinn wrote:
I've had a mighty disappointing experience with this company, so I can not in good conscience recommend any of their products, but this sort of sounds like some of the things you are talking about.

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/qunexus/overview

Actually, I don't like the look of that thing. It looks like a glowing Casio VLtone "keyboard" for someone who doesn't play keyboard. It's the equivalent of a GuitarHero guitar

One of the McMillen product reps lives a couple blocks from me, so I've gotten to play with the QuNexus quite a bit already. I for one thought it was amazing, can't wait to get mine. It's light and bendy, but still feels solid and is remarkably expressive. I think it will likely replace my MPK25 in fact. Very excited for this to get released.

I recently preordered one as well.
Position touch and Polyphonic aftertouch, plus CV out. I have uses for all three.
It looks like a toy for sure, but if the software is versatile I'm going to be using it a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:01 am 

I hate keyboard controllers. They all have fatal flaws. But I don't know that I need "new" or "interesting" as the OP stated. I just need one that works (and I like transport controls, though don't use it too much with live)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:04 am 

Angstrom wrote:

lolz. rudess even endorses my underwear (hanes). I just saw a billboard with him endorsing ensure!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next