retaining the definition of your bass/mids when resampling?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MajikDragon89

retaining the definition of your bass/mids when resampling?

Post by MajikDragon89 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:37 am

hello everyone. recently i've been doing a lot of bass resampling which i'm getting really stuck into, but i'm experiencing issues regarding the bass and mid range, which are loosing a lot of their power and definition. i'm unisoning the bass every resample and adding, phasers to the mids and flangers to the mids and trebles, plus i'm offsetting the samples against one another so it's a given that their going to be quite a lot of loss in terms of definition of the bass and mids, which are the most important areas of a bassline like this. my question is how can i keep these bands from loosing their definition so that they cut through the mix. do i simply compress them each resample? i'm already adding saturation to add natural compression and limiting. any help would be much appreciated. peace. :D

Shesh

Re: retaining the definition of your bass/mids when resampling?

Post by Shesh » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:46 am

MajikDragon89 wrote: i'm unisoning the bass every resample and adding, phasers to the mids and flangers to the mids and trebles, plus i'm offsetting the samples against one another so it's a given that their going to be quite a lot of loss in terms of definition of the bass and mids, which are the most important areas of a bassline like this.
My advice would be to stop going nuts with the unison, unless you're only adding very small amounts of detune, and to stop "offsetting" your samples. I'm not sure what you mean by offsetting them but you've clearly stated it's resulting in you losing definition so I'm not sure why you're doing it.

Make sure you're highpassing your midrange too before you buss it back in with your low end signal.

I've also noticed when I resample that my midrange channel's volume can be over 30db lower than my bass channel to make them sound balanced.

Keep at it!

:)

MajikDragon89

Post by MajikDragon89 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:46 am

thanks for the advice. i like to frequency split the audio with the multiband compressor into bass, mids and trebles. are you saying that if i simply adjust all the bands out by their outputs on my multiband compressor that will do it? i've heard some talk about compression helping "glue it all together"? if i'm messing around with dynamics of individual bands and processing them all separately does compression afterwards help? :?

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:41 am

turning off the warp of result audio clip.